The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-06-2008, 03:19 AM   #16
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bruce, you know I don't take crap advice, or ill-founded remarks, at all seriously.

If I did, I'd agree with tw about politics a lot more. Or radar.

Now my golden, wonderful, excellent advice is for you to blow away the fog that blinds you.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Can you say, delusional?
Yup and I can read it too.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
No, at this point he has enough pledged delegates that mathematically it wouldn't matter even if she got the support of every single superdelegate.
Not true. He has 1763 pledged delegates, you need a total of 2118 to win. He has enough pledged + declared superdelegates to win.

Hillary can still get some of his declared supers to switch sides, and walk away with the nomination. She would need 192 additional superdelegates to vote for her.

Are there 192 open seats on the Supreme Court?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ah, my mistake.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #20
Urbane Guerrilla

What Peggy Noonan Had To Say On It.

Exerpted from her June 6 column:

Quote:
But this I believe is the truth: America dodged a bullet. That was the other meaning of the culminating events of this week.

Mrs. Clinton would have been a disaster as president. Mr. Obama may prove a disaster, and John McCain may, but she would be. Mr. Obama may lie, and Mr. McCain may lie, but she would lie. And she would have brought the whole rattling caravan of Clintonism with her—the scandal-making that is compulsive, the drama that is unending, the sheer, daily madness that is her, and him.

We have been spared this. Those who did it deserve to be thanked. May I rise in a toast to the Democratic Party.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #21
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Can you say, delusional?
I could say it to you.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #22
Urbane Guerrilla

Further remark on it from Mychal Massie -- wow, he doesn't like either one of them.

N'COBRA's entire raison d'être sounds like a WTF.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Old 06-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #24
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm intrigued that you see fascists everywhere UG. Left, right, pacifists, liberals, gun-control, vegetarins, nuns (okay I made the last two up)
Methinks you doth protest too much.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #25
TheMercenary

vegetarians make great lovers. Except they refuse to shave their bush and that is a bit of a problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #26
flaja
High Propagandist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
Not true. He has 1763 pledged delegates, you need a total of 2118 to win. He has enough pledged + declared superdelegates to win.

Hillary can still get some of his declared supers to switch sides, and walk away with the nomination. She would need 192 additional superdelegates to vote for her.

Are there 192 open seats on the Supreme Court?
Hasn't Clinton already tried to make the case that even the pledged delegates are not legally-bound to vote for the candidate that they were elected to support?

And what happens if Obama is sidelined by scandal between now and August?

I am not a Democrat. I have never been a Democrat, and I will never be or vote for a Democrat. But I hope that Clinton still makes an issue of the Florida and Michigan delegates. According to the Florida state constitution, the state legislature can regulate political parties. I question the validity of this under the U.S. Constitution since it restricts our right to assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. But if state law can regulate national political parties, then I don’t see how party rules can dictate when state law says a party can have its primary. However, if party rules can override statutory law, then the parties should be paying the cost of holding the primary elections. As it stands now the state of Florida will only pay the cost of holding a primary election for the Democrats and Republicans- third parties must foot their own bill. This is fundamentally wrong and I hope that a challenge from Clinton can bring public attention to this issue.
flaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #27
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I'm intrigued that you see fascists everywhere UG. Left, right, pacifists, liberals, gun-control, vegetarins, nuns (okay I made the last two up)
Methinks you doth protest too much.
I could gripe about your grammar, but I'll just let you go study it. The KJV does use correct grammar, btw.

Fascists, communists -- not only would I hate to have to live on the difference, you'd hate to too. One will do for the other in all but the most minute policy details, and it ends up being more a difference of style than of substance.

Pacifists are not in my experience fascists. But the poor wretches can't rescue anybody from them -- not and remain pacifists. They're better neighbors than fascists are -- and utterly useless at quelling a riot. That's bad if you don't want your roofs given to the flame and your flesh to the eagles.

Gun control is of course a great help to fascists or their inspiration the communists. This alone is reason to reject it.

I'd rather digest vegetarian dishes than vegetarian, uh, philosophy. Our teeth and our tracts declare us omnivorous.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #28
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I could gripe about your grammar, but I'll just let you go study it. The KJV does use correct grammar, btw.
Good God, man, you just can't help yourself can you? Pompous, self-satisfied, arrogant and absurd.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #29
TheMercenary

Those loyal to the Clintons take note of those who were not
By Mark Leibovich

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
WASHINGTON: Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton was gracious in her full-throated endorsement of Senator Barack Obama. But that does not mean all is forgiven by others in the Clinton universe.

For proof, look no further than Doug Band, chief gatekeeper to former President Bill Clinton.

Band keeps close track of the past allies and beneficiaries of the Clintons who supported Obama's campaign, three Clinton associates and campaign officials said. Indeed, he is widely known as a member of the Clinton inner circle whose memory is particularly acute on the matter of who has been there for the couple — and who has not.

"The Clintons get hundreds of requests for favors every week," said Terry McAuliffe, the chairman of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign. "Clearly, the people you're going to do stuff for in the future are the people who have been there for you."

McAuliffe, who knows of Band's diligent scorekeeping, emphasized that "revenge is not what the Clintons are about." The accounting is more about being practical, he said, adding, "You have to keep track of this."

Band, who declined to comment, is hardly alone in tallying those considered to have crossed the former candidate or the former president in recent months by supporting Obama. As the Obama bandwagon has swelled, so have the lists of people Clinton loyalists regard as some variation of "ingrate," "traitor" or "enemy," according to the associates and campaign officials, who would speak only on condition of anonymity.

Philippe Reines, a spokesman for both Clintons, said neither kept any specific catalog of those believed to have wronged them. "There is no list," Reines said.

The lists maintained by supporters tend to be less formal documents than spoken diatribes, with offenders' names spat forth in rants, gripe sessions and post-mortems.

Several names and entities are common among various list makers. The lineup invariably begins with A-list members like Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico; Representative James Clyburn of South Carolina, the House Democratic whip; Gregory Craig, Bill Clinton's lawyer in his impeachment and trial; David Axelrod, Obama's chief strategist; Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri; and several Kennedys. Some members of the Democratic Party's rules committee, the state of Iowa and the caucus system in general are also near the top.

The news media have already focused on some list entries, including the online gossip purveyor Matt Drudge (who had the nerve to show up at Hillary Clinton's departure speech on Saturday), Todd Purdum of Vanity Fair (the author of a recent profile of Bill Clinton) and the cable network MSNBC (whose hosts Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann are charter list members, Clinton associates said).

The lists are also reported to include lesser-known Obama-supporting members of Congress (for whom the Clintons campaigned), former ambassadors (appointed by Bill Clinton) or Clinton White House officials turned Obama advisers (like Anthony Lake, a former national security adviser, and Susan Rice, a former White House and State Department official).

These are people who should know better than to ask the former president or first lady for a job recommendation for a son-in-law.

Prominent list entries tend to be philosophical about their status. "When you're on the losing end of a campaign, your sense of victimization is higher," said Joe Andrew, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee (appointed by Bill Clinton) who joined the lists after he switched his superdelegate allegiance from Hillary Clinton to Obama just before the primary in his home state, Indiana.

Richardson, the former energy secretary and United Nations ambassador under President Bill Clinton who endorsed Obama after leaning toward Hillary Clinton, said, "I know they're unhappy, but I've been on these lists before."

While Hillary Clinton has a short list of people who disappointed her, Bill Clinton, who reportedly has an encyclopedic memory of all the people he has helped, employed or appointed over the years, apparently has a far longer one, the campaign officials said.

Hillary Clinton's friends have a list of their own (it has frequently included the former president), as do veterans of Bill Clinton's White House (who love to blame Patti Solis Doyle, Hillary Clinton's former campaign manager), Clinton campaign employees (who complained incessantly — and continue to — about Mark Penn, the demoted chief strategist), Clinton fund-raisers and women's groups who supported Hillary Clinton's campaign.

"I won't forget these people," said Susie Tompkins Buell, a co-founder of the Esprit clothing company and a longtime friend of the Clintons who describes herself as "a soul sister" to Hillary Clinton.

When asked to name "these people," Buell specifies "all the women who sold out Hillary." She declined to volunteer names on her list but answered "all of the above" when read a roster of prominent women supporting Obama that includes Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Governor Janet Napolitano of Arizona and Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas.

http://www.iht.com/bin/printfriendly.php?id=13626061
Old 06-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #30
headsplice
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Oh, just the Clintons trying to shove Extra-Large Government down all our throats and visibly viewing the Bill of Rights not as a guide to their behavior and policymaking, but as a stumbling-block to their ambitions -- in notable contrast to the Administration of the younger Bush, who contrary to crazy anti-Republican rumor, has been scrupulous in not trammeling our rights and liberties. The evidence of the past seven and a half years shows this clearly. There is a fog of allegations otherwise, but they are not borne out by the substance.
Whoa...really? I rebut you thusly.