The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Spexxvet!

And of course anyone else who might have an answer.

I am in the market for 2-power bifocal reading glasses - so that I can do intermediate work and close reading. Mostly, the glasses that I find on the internet run about $100, however just today I saw a site selling them for $50.

What do you guys charge for them? Is it possible to get them cheaper ? I am really hard on them because they go on and off my face about a hundred times a day, and I'm a major fidgeter - if I am holding them in my hand (instead of just pushing them to the top of head) I usually twirl them around. Ive broken 3 pair doing that. And of course, I can't count how many times they've fallen to the floor.

If I have to pay that much for glasses then so be it, its still cheaper than the $200+ I paid for my progressive lens that I can't wear. But is there a better place to buy them than my eye doctor? (Who keeps telling me that there is nothing wrong with my lenses - they are the correct prescription. So I really don't want to give him anymore of my money)

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

If you're really simply a +2.00 in both eyes, get the $10.00 type from a drugstore. If you have astigmatism or if your eyes are different powers, have a pair custom made at an independant optician. You should expect to pay about $100.00 for them - they will be professionally evaluated for cosmetics and fit before you purchase them, then expertly fitted to your head when you pick them up. Make sure you choose a place with a warranty against breakage (usually a year).
Old 09-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Rhianne
Nearly done.

NHS = Free for me!
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

NHS = Somebody else paid for you!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
monster