The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Open atheist? Chilling...... At least he isn't one of those "Harry Potter" santanists.

What a relief....

Open atheist? Chilling...... At least he isn't one of those "Harry Potter" santanists.

What a relief....

Edit and add-on upon further thought:

Anyhoo...where do people get that it is anti-religious? Can't it just be a story? Why is the suggestion of killing god such a threat, if god is as mighty as people say? To write a fictional representation of killing god is not anti-religious in itself. Fiction fiction fiction.....*breath*....fiction fiction fiction....and so on and so forth.

Here is a fictional line written by me, and only to be taken as such: Cloud kills god with every breath she takes. Fiction...see? Not to be taken literally in any way. Unless you are a crack-pot.

It's not even creative non-fiction. It's fiction. I made it up, it's not even true. It was for your entertainment.....and now that I think about it...funny in a very dark way.

Am I anti-cloud and pro-god now? Am I pro-Cloud and anti-god because I made up a line about it? In case you are having trouble answering that, the answer is no, neither. It's a line I made up. Complete fiction.

BTW- I like Cloud.

Last edited by Cicero; 11-16-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #17
Cloud

now I'm scared. Really, really scared.

but I have a new user title!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

She's a witch!!! Burn Her!!!!

Imagine the Cloud of smoke.

Sorry, Cloud, just trying to make folks smile a little.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
Cloud

POOF!

[you'll just have to forgive me if my thoughts are a trifle more insubstantial than usual today]
Old 11-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Here is a fictional line written by me, and only to be taken as such:[B] Cloud kills god with every breath she takes[/b]. Fiction...see? [I]Not to be taken literally in any way[/i]. Unless you are a crack-pot.

BTW- I like Cloud.

*Clears throat* and your welcome for the signature.

lol!!! Yea....scary stuff.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:25 AM   #21
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
This really bums my butt. Warning the public that this movie is harmful to your children because of an anti-religious theme. Don't my co-workers know me at all? Why are they sending me this religious drivel?
Strangely, I didn't see a single thing warning anyone about the Christian themes being thrust upon the public in the Narnia film. Oh, wait. That's because Christianity is Truth, and everything else is the devil's work. Silly me.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #22
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I had an odd Narnia reaction.
As a kid I loved the books and read them to the point of study, knowing them almost as well as a Rabbi knows the Torah. But I had been raised pretty much without religion, and didn't see the "message" until I was (I guess) in my early or mid teens; then I figured it out. Ow, I was furious! I had been tricked into accepting religious propaganda! Down with Lewis! I hated the books for years, left them buried in a storage box, and I'm surprised I didn't ditch them or even burn them.
I've mellowed a little since then, but I still think it was a dirty trick to go slipping religion into a perfectly good fantasy novel.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #23
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

ok, my kids have the first book. what's the message? should I read these books also?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 AM   #24
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
ok, my kids have the first book. what's the message? should I read these books also?
Do you mean the first Narnia book?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #25
Cloud

Interesting comment, Zengum. Here is a list of SF & F works with religious themes. Surprisingly, I haven't read too many off this list, except of course for Tolkien, Lewis, & Gene Wolf.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #26
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
This really bums my butt. Warning the public that this movie is harmful to your children because of an anti-religious theme. Don't my co-workers know me at all? Why are they sending me this religious drivel?

. . . I think I'll use it as a recommendation. My children would LOVE to take their kids to a movie with an anti-religious theme.
What if it was something else and he warned you? After all, damn near every movie that comes out has an anti-religious theme (although, not that many star Nicole Kidman).
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #27
Cloud

every movie that comes out has an anti-religious theme? Where do you get that from? Most, in my opinion, are neutral.

I would be more appreciative of warnings for extreme or graphic violence.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #28
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
What if it was something else and he warned you? After all, damn near every movie that comes out has an anti-religious theme (although, not that many star Nicole Kidman).
Quote:
every movie that comes out has an anti-religious theme? Where do you get that from? Most, in my opinion, are neutral.

I would be more appreciative of warnings for extreme or graphic violence.
If you're going to quote someone then quote them accurately.

anti- is: Displaying opposite characteristics (source: Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary).

Hence: Religious themes in movies are not as prevalent as non-religious themes in movies.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #29
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yes Zengum...the first Narnia book. I think one of them is getting the second one for christmas this year (from my staunch catholic aunt).
Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #30
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
anti- is: Displaying opposite characteristics (source: Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary).

Hence: Religious themes in movies are not as prevalent as non-religious themes in movies.
Come on now... anti- does not mean a lack of or an alternative to, it means an opposition to. A murder mystery is not anti-religious, it is non-religious. A movie with a symbolic God figure who is deliberately murdered by the characters is anti-religious.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies