The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:00 AM   #31
jaguar
whig

Hasselbad make very, very nice cameras. I learnt the basics of Avid but it just seems like overpriced crap compared to Final Cut Pro.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:27 AM   #32
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Never had a chance to use Final Cut Pro either, though it's been one I've wanted to poke at. Still costs a lot.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:24 AM   #33
glatt

I had no idea that Hasselblad made digital cameras. 22megapixels! Wow.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 PM   #34
jaguar
whig

Cheaper than a full Avid setup.
Hasselblad make a number of different digital backs, of course you can just take them off and load your favorite 120 film etc which is nice. The H1D seems to be a more intergrated package, I'm not sure if it *can* take film. Leaf have been making incredible MF Digital backs for a number of years, the coolest thing is the PDA you get with it which gives you a copy of each pic wirelessly almost as soon as the shutter shuts. Personally I don't know if I'd want clients that close during a shoot but still very cool. Leaf backs alone go for 25k+ but in the kind of shoots that gear gets used that's around the operating cost for a full day on location anyway. The latest leaf ones are 17 and 23mpx.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #35
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Here's an invention I didn't know I needed until I found out it existed. I don't know how I've lived without one for this long. And before you ask, this is a real device you can buy in stores and not someone having fun with Photoshop.

I had seen these and thought about getting one. Then I imagined forgetting to leave it at home and watching it being thrown into an airport security disposal bin.

BTW, what is that little spike thing at the top, a metal toothpick or a hole punch?

Judging from this article, I was right to be worried. I'll stick to flash drives on pens.

Quote:
Reading Passengers

The day of a security screener often begins at 4:30 a.m., when most people are sound asleep. If screeners are short-staffed or off to a slow start in the early morning, the longer lines tend to drag much longer into the day. Some mornings, passengers wait more than a hour to get through the checkpoint.

Before the shift starts at 5 a.m., screeners huddle in the break room or a conference room with a supervisor to receive the latest information about threats to aviation and new gadgets to watch out for. Last Thursday, a TSA supervisor briefed more than a dozen screeners about a new computer memory device made by Swiss Army that is also equipped with a small knife.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #36
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

BTW, what is that little spike thing at the top, a metal toothpick or a hole punch?

Looks like a ball-point pen to me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #37
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble

Looks like a ball-point pen to me.
You're right.
Quote:
SWISSMEMORY TM USB Victorinox
NEW: available with capacities up to 512MB!

It is the first time that an original Swiss Army Knife has been equipped with a USB Memory. The SWISSMEMORY TM USB Victorinox is a trendy accessory, a perfect gift and business tool. The small all-rounder integrates numerous useful tools and is available in two versions: one with a stainless steel knife, scissors, a file and a screw driver and the other without these tools, to carry when travelling on planes. Both versions include a pressurized pen and a red LED.
The SWISSMEMORY TM USB Victorinox is available with a memory capacity of 64, 128, 256 or 512 MB.
It is also possible to detach the USB part a patented technology.
I might consider the version that only has the pen and USB, although I might was well buy a flash memory pen. Pressurized pens are nicer since they can write upside down.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #38
Nightsong
Wang Dude

BUT I WANT IT!!!!

ACtually the thing I want is actually nothing more than an overexpensive toy typewrite for me. I want am Ipaq 4355. As handheld go it kind falls in the middle but its what I like. I was actually going to get one for my Birthday. I waited two years to actually deciede I could afford to spend that much on me. Even sold a few collectibles on Ebay to fund part of it. THen my G_D_truck blew a fuel pump. Damned thing cost me 160 dollars. Ofcourse that was off Ebay too. Full price was 300. Unfortunatly I used my Ipaq money for the pump. As birthdays go, its a bummer. But at least I can drive around in a funk rather than sitting at home. Besides, my wife loves me and I guess thats all I really need. (sighs heavily and smiles at wife)
Nightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #39
Hugo Zorilla
The Great White Gorilla Of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Have you ever found something that you think would be cool to have but you honestly know that you really have no need for.

I have a few rechargeable spotlights in the house in case of power failures. They are in the 1 million candlepower range. This is enough to throw a visible circle on the trees 150 feet away from my house about 40 feet in diameter.

Cabelas is selling a 10 million candlepower rechargeable spotlight . Short of hosting a Hollywood premier in your backyard or guiding in planes loaded with contraband in deserted fields, what does anyone need with a 10 million candlepower spotlight?

And yet I want one.
I picked up a 3 million candlepower at Target for $40. Light up the night.

I want one of these -
http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a3.htm
Between that and the flashlight, bye-bye squirrels.
Hugo Zorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #40
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Well Damn HZ if your going to do it , do it right , go with one of these ,
the bottom pic is the 15.2mm discarding sabot flechette round compared to the 7.62mm ( .308 cal ) standard nato round . This bad boy will go thru both sides of ANY modern APC at 1 klick !!!!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by zippyt; 01-23-2005 at 10:58 AM.
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #41
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
Well Damn HZ if your going to do it , do it right , go with one of these ,
the bottom pic is the 15.2mm discarding sabot flechette round compared to the 7.62mm ( .308 cal ) standard nato round . This bad boy will go thru both sides of ANY modern APC at 1 klick !!!!!!!
I don't recognize that weapon. What is it?