The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
Stratus
Writer of Writings

Exclamation Taking a year off...

I took a year off from after graduating from what the school system deemed "High School". This is a good thing and a bad thing. I would like to show a list of pros and cons and well as give advice to those considering, or to those who know someone who is considering taking a year off.

Pros
-no school!
-If you have a job, you get to make alot of money
-It is a well deserved rest
-You get to discover what you really want to do without pressure from school
-You have a new found respect for people in the real world

Cons
-No plan for the entire year
-You're pressured in a different way
-Most of your friends will be gone due to college or high school
-You have to learn how to deal with working for the rest of your life

There are probably plenty of other pros and cons, but those are the ones i'm focused on.

I personally am glad I took the year off, but if I could go back, i'd take a few precautions first:

1.Be Prepared to loose friends. It's going to happen even if you go to college, but at least you'll make other friends in college.
2. Make sure you have a license and a car. This way you can go out and find new friends. I still don't have my license, and regret not getting it before.
3.Make sure you have a job. You'l go crazy without one. And by job, I mean a real one.
4.Make sure to make a deal with someone that says you have to go back to school after the year or else....Just in case. It's easy to loose yourself in a world full of money and social life.

That's about it. Number 2 I really kick myself for, because now I don't have many friends left and during the week, no one to hang out with but my computer. Not to mention West Hartford doesn't allow bars or anything involving entertainment. I'm serious. I'm not legally allowed to drive, so that's a big problem. I'm working on it though. The dmv's as slow to mail things as they are to solve your problems.

"Some days we don't let the line move at all. We call those weekdays."
-Selma at the dmv (Simpsons)
Stratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As a suburban kid, I really don't understand people who didn't learn to drive and get licensed at 16 ... what motivates, or actually demotivates that? Why didn't you go do it at the earliest possible opportunity? One of my friend's sister's didn't learn to drive until she was in her mid to late 20s ... both siblings had their permits at 16 and junior licenses three months later. Why wait?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I have some family with 5 people in the house and one available car. That's dad's car cuz he commutes the farthest. Mom's job is on a bus line. The middle schooler buses, the high schooler carpools with a neighbor's kid and the eldest also works on a busline (and still lives at home). Also, money's tight, so the one who uses the car has to pay for the gas. And since there's clothes and video games to be bought, the kids figured out how to get around without having to use a car. The ones of age have gotten licenses for ID but don't care to drive. It's easier and cheaper for them to use public transit or bum rides off friends/neighbors.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If they are licensed, they have to be insured, and that's not cheap for a new driver. I can understand the economic aspects of that ... but you're talking about people who don't drive, but know how. I'm talking about people that haven't even bothered to learn.

Whatever happened to "whoo-hoo! 16! Driver Ed!!"?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #5
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Couldn't say...I just know I was one of those kids who's been just itching to drive since the car seat.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My car seat, like Maggie Simpson's, had a steering wheel and a horn on it. It was quite some time before I figured out that I wasn't driving.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 AM   #7
Stratus
Writer of Writings

I never had a need for it. Always had older friends who all had cars and drove me around. Later on it became a money issue. Also the stick shift kinda intimidated me a little I think. Now I don't have a problem driving, I just have to wait for the paperwork to process before I can do anything else. My sister didn't get her license until she was 19. She cant live without her car now. I work less than 100 yards from my house too.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
glatt

I had my license at 17, but we just had the one family car. I got to use it once in awhile, but not very often.

You can ride MILES on a ten speed bike. Don't you have a bike? I didn't have a car until after college. I went to the mall (the only place for a teenager to go) just about every day. It was 3 miles away. 6 miles round trip. Or you can get a used moped/scooter for cheap.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
jaguar
whig

Quote:
As a suburban kid, I really don't understand people who didn't learn to drive and get licensed at 16 ... what motivates, or actually demotivates that? Why didn't you go do it at the earliest possible opportunity?
Where I live if I drove 200m towards the city centre I've got to pay a ~$12 congestion charge. Why would I take a car when I can get there in half the time with a tenth of the stress by PT?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I grew up in DC, near a subway stop. I never felt the need to deal with the DMV. I got my license a week before I had to start commuting to work, and got my car the same day.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm against the idea of "taking a year off" for its own sake. I know some folks that age still don't have a sense of who they are, and all that, but to me the decision should be more "Am I going to college, or am I going to enter the workforce?" Both of which are completely legitimate goals--but if you feel the need to promise someone that you will go to school after the year is up, that just says to me that you should have been going to college in the first place.

If you have the drive and desire and ability to go to college, why put it off a year? If it's just to learn what it's like to have a job--you can have a job while you go to college. Everyone I know who "took a year off" considers it a wasted year once they're far enough away to look back on it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
glatt

Growing up, I knew a family where all the kids had to take a year off between high school and college. The parents made them, because they felt that working that one year would show their kids what kind of work was available for someone with only a high school diploma. They figured that it would be good motivation to stay in college and do well. Also, they thought that taking a year off would give the kid a chance to mature and spend less time partying in college. The parents didn't want to pay outrageous amounts of money just to let ther kids party for four years.

I think that for three of the four kids it worked. For the fourth, who went to my college, it didn't. He was not a serious student. He turned out alright in the end though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #13
russotto
Professor

My car seat, like wolf's, had a steering wheel and a horn on it. It was quite some time before my parents figured out they weren't driving.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

I did not take a year off and in retrospect, think I really could have used it. I would not have lived at home though.
Looking back, the best thing for me at that time would have been to leave town and get a shit job, paying my own way and figure out WHY I wanted to go to school.
I did leave town, got a part time shit job and undirected, unmotivated and unprepared for college, I landed myself on academic probation. I blew a year of college money..to say nothing of the battle to build a decent GPA over the next years. To be fair, I did learn a lot about me self because of the cost.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:06 AM   #15
Stratus
Writer of Writings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I'm against the idea of "taking a year off" for its own sake. I know some folks that age still don't have a sense of who they are, and all that, but to me the decision should be more "Am I going to college, or am I going to enter the workforce?" Both of which are completely legitimate goals--but if you feel the need to promise someone that you will go to school after the year is up, that just says to me that you should have been going to college in the first place.

If you have the drive and desire and ability to go to college, why put it off a year? If it's just to learn what it's like to have a job--you can have a job while you go to college. Everyone I know who "took a year off" considers it a wasted year once they're far enough away to look back on it.
Having a job while in college isn't the same thing as doing nothing but working. The idea is to build yourself up so that when you get out of college, you're not lost then. I see so many people who go straight into college, and once they get out of college, they get lost. They're so afraid that they take the closest job they can find. Some people learn it later on, most don't. Most people are dis-satisfied with the way their life has played out.

If you learn how to be yourself and learn what you want, without the boundaries of school or a degree, then you're one step ahead of everyone else. I'm not saying school is a bad thing, i'm just saying that school has a way of taking away a certain aspect of who you are. I don't see innovators anymore. I don't see the creativity anymore. I see an educational assembly line full of students turned into worker bees. I feel as though taking a year off is a wonderful chance to get out into the real world and understand that there's more options out there for career's, life styles, fortunes, misfortunes , love, lost, than just what you see in school.

I dunno. Maybe i'm making a big deal out of a small potato. I just felt as though if I didn't take a step back to review my options and goals now, that my whole life would flash before me and all I would be left with is shame, doubt, and regret.

I would also like to point out that when I got out of high school, I wanted to go into networking, because of the money. I was born a cop. Since the beginning of my year off, i've embraced who I really am and feel as though i'm more sure of what I want in life than i've ever been.