The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Cane
Same Rhetoric, Different President

Hey Brian, how's it going? I'm an OTR driver myself, driving team for one of the large carriers. Given my druthers, I'd be driving solo, but I was out of driving for over four years, so I had to kind of start over, although the experience I have factors into my pay. The only job I could get, due to my lack of recent experience, the economy and where I live (S. FL), is team driving.

Team driving isn't the worst thing in the world. It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. But once I get the magic "100,000 miles" or recent experience, I'll very likely sign on with a small firm that has a terminal closer to my house, although I'm looking into getting into driver training with my current employer. It pays pretty good, and I'd like to teach some of these new drivers.

It sounds like you got stuck in the same ND blizzard in which we got stuck earlier this month. I think we were in the Fargo Flying J while you were in Jamestown. We were under a load bound for Butte. After we delivered it, we were dead-headed clear down to Green River, WY for a load that delivered in Seattle, and while delivering that load, we were shut down by the weather again, in Ellensburg, just east of Snoqualmie.

I stay on-line out on the road. I have AT&T Wireless Internet, which isn't WiFi: it's an actual wireless phone number, which makes it a whole lot more secure and reliable. It's $60 a month for unlimited minutes, and I highly recommend it. I can send and receive email and surf the net while the truck is rolling (driven by my co-driver, of course).

Here's to dry tarmac and tailwinds.