The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

dial up and memory xp problems

I just got my new phone line in yesterday and tried to install AOL for dial up. I guess my systems memory allocation is used up...apparently by spyware of which many spyware cleaners think there it is a clean system. NOT! I found a process list which I plan to go through with a fine tooth comb and root out resource hogs. I have tried to download cleaners but nothing that addresses this specific problem. If anyof you know of a good XPp process manager I would be grateful.

as a side thought.....
I am not very happy with XP. I thought windows ME was more user friendly. I have huge amount of disk space with tiny memory....This computer is too new to be having such a hard time. I am using a lesser dial up service and my speed tops out at 48. I have read everything possible and cleaned up every obsolite file. I have run tests and everything seems to be fine but it's not. I plan to get more memory later but for right now I need a good XP process list...and or manager.

Thanks
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

I like Process Explorer from SysInternals, but it can take some Windows tech knowlege to use it well.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

XP is a memory hog skysidhe.. I'm running a 3ghz pentium 4 processor and a dedicated video card with 128mb memory, and it still hangs up from time to time because i only have 512mb of RAM.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

These sites have some good tips:

http://www.petri.co.il/customize_a_n...stallation.htm

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/index.html
Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
skysidhe

eee gads my sloppy hunt and peck spelling. sorry bout that...

anyway, I appreciate the tips. I will try as many of those links as I can and let you know which ones are above my learning curve.:p It shouldn't be hard as long as the directions are set out in a simple way.

oh and bullitt. My pc has about the same kind of specs.

thanks beestie and maggie too.

Last edited by skysidhe; 08-24-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
headsplice
Relaxed

You could try Hijack This! if you're having problems w/ spyware (I like it a lot, but I'm a pretty technical person, and so is HT!).
SpywareBlaster is good a preventing malware infections as well.
Also, try MS's tools (I don't have links for those, but I hear they work well).
Last resort: switch to Linux. It isn't that difficult anymore, if you aren't running server processes (no harder than Windows, anyway).
Old 08-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
mbpark
Lecturer

If you want to see what your system really is running...

Try Autoruns from Sysinternals. It's one of the best tools for cleaning out bad browser hijacks.

It also helps remove a lot of the crap that vendors put in at startup, like Dell.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
skysidhe

Thanks for the advice. I tried many of those applications.I liked the tools. End of the day I ended up buying a graphics card that was missing after I bought the computer. Someone like me would have never known that companys rip consumers by leaving out componets like that. I still need a gig of memory but it was 50 dollars cheaper to just to buy the card. It 'relieved some of the pressure' as my kid put it. It seems to be more stable and quicker although all those same processes are running and it's still dial up slow. PLUS computer games don't jag and pull. So...It's good to have a brain in the house.