The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #31
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

"unseemly"

I agree with Elspode--your friend looks a bit green.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #32
staceyv
Lecturer

sundae grl, you don't need credit to have plastic! you can get a debit card from most banks and use it just like a credit card- except it's coming from money you already have in your bank account. You know?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Debit card online is VERY risky.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:43 AM   #34
staceyv
Lecturer

Okay, maybe she could set up a bank account with a debit card specifically for use with online purchasing. She could keep a maximum of $50 in the account at all times.
That could work, right?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:49 AM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, even with a VISA logo.
A debit card gives someone the opportunity to tap directly into your bank account for as often as they want. They can clean you out with very little trouble.
The bank will investigate if you've been screwed but that can take forever and in the meantime you're broke. If it's for a service rather than merchandise how do you prove you didn't get what you paid for?
A credit card will investigate and you don't have to pay disputed charges in the meantime. A credit card will give you a lot of legal protections that a debit card won't, so never give a debit card number to anyone that you can't get your hands on their throat.
Ask your bank.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:48 AM   #36
itsjulie
Vice-President of Resentment

I use my Visa Debit Card online quite a bit. I did have a problem where someone got my number and charged about 1,000 to my account.

I have to say my bank was great. I filled out the paperwork and had my money returned to me within 10 days. I think the best way is the suggestion to have a separate account with only minimal $$ in the account and get online SG!!!! We can exchange horror stories (and boys) !!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #37
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjulie
We can exchange horror stories (and boys) !!!!!
I know some people who would say this is redundant . . . .
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #38
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry to hijack - I got myself into credit trouble about 3 years ago (a financial hangover from living above my means in London). I have NO credit rating. I managed to sort myself out by working over 60 hours a week & with the help of a Christian charity who negotiated with my creditors & set up a repayment scheme (something I was too ashamed & scared to do).

I now have no credit whatsover - no cards, catalogues, overdraft, loans etc. The downside is, in my time of trouble I messed about with 2 banks & am now on the most basic no-credit-check account. All my own fault, but no prospect of plastic for at least 2 years.

But back to the O/T - I met a very interesting man today who has aske dme to meet him tomorrow!!! Excuse the exclamation marks - but YAY ME!!!!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #39
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

YAY, Sundae Girl!!! Who-HOO!!!!!!

You will tell us how it goes, right?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #40
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
All my own fault, but no prospect of plastic for at least 2 years.
I don't know about banks in the UK, but in the US they have something called a "secured" credit card. What it means is you're not actually getting credit at all--you give them $500 or whatever, and then you get a card with a $500 credit "limit." Hit your limit and don't pay the balance, and they just keep your original $500. Keep purchases reasonable and pay them off every month, and you can get your $500 back at any time--and meanwhile, you'll be demonstrating that you're trustworthy and building good credit a lot faster than just waiting for it to fade into the past.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Met the intersting man today - I think he was just interested in my "contacts" in the entertainment business. Which are really just an old friend who is doing quite well for himself, but doesn't really have any pull outside his own position, and a couple struggling actors who can't even help themselves.

He took my number, but I won't be gutted if he doesn't call.

Clodfobble - will look into the secure card idea. Would be nice to book cinema tickets in advance again!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #42
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Clodfobble - will look into the secure card idea. Would be nice to book cinema tickets in advance again!
Debit card on your bank account? Or is that in negative balance? It's a real bummer when you drop out of the banking system ....
Old 12-05-2005, 03:32 AM   #43
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My account is a non credit-checked one, so all I have is a cashpoint card. In order to get a debit card I'd have to be credit-checked, which at present will still bring up all the mess I was in previously. I assume I would be declined and haven't the guts to try...

It's safe paying in cash, until I develop good habits. But it's frustrating too.