The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

September 23, 2006: Tunick in Duesseldorf [NSFW]

Been a while since we had a Spencer Tunick item. I guess it was played out for a while? Maybe it still is, you be the judge. Mr. Tunick specializes in photography of nudes in outdoor settings and this has now turned into photography of thousands of nudes.

In this case they're at the Ehrenhof museum complex.

And clearly the point here is for the live, present day, current nudes to recall the general theme of the ancient artwork.

Setup of the outdoor shot.

Another possibility.

Down with the haters, I like Tunick's work. Just like Wegman will forever be photographing his weimaraners, Tunick will forever be photographing his nudes, and they both give the artist the productive confinement of a theme. Er, or something.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

notice the baby in the corner of the second shot (my favorite)
Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
rkzenrage

What is that top one, Rape of the Sabines?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Photography of nudes is one thing, but is it just me or is a mountain of naked women on their backs with their legs in the air speaking to something a little different. Last shot with them curled up ass-to-the-camera is little better
Old 09-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
sandypossum
tri-continental dag hag

Quote:
is it just me or is a mountain of naked women on their backs with their legs in the air
Yes, it's just you - it's a mountain of naked women and naked men, and it's their arms in the air.

And maybe it's just me, but when I see a corridor of bums, like the last photo, I can't help wondering: if one of them farted, would it set off a chain reaction? (Just read "The Day My Bum Went Psycho" so that probably doesn't help.)
Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
vrai_rennx
Voix de Vérité

Hmm, I seem to remember this Tunick guy doing something around where I live... There was an article in the paper about it, and a big uproar with people who were for/against it. Me, I admire the people who have the guts to pose for him. I never could, I'm way too self-conscious.

~les beaux esprits se rencontrent~
vrai_rennx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

It's still just a bunch of naked people lying there, nobody ever thought a frat house on Sunday morning was art...
Old 09-23-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
TropicFever
Jotter of Notes

I'm guessing somewhere off on the side there is a mountain of clothes? Someone should be taking advantage of that, and calling it art.

--Mark Twain, "Following the Equator"
TropicFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He always picks gray overcast days. I suppose it's for better pictures without shadows and hot spots, but it always looks like an uncomfortable day to be naked.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
incommunicadocat
Roadie.

Erm....
I was in one. The Melbourne shot, which was apparently the largest turn out he'd ever had. For and half thousand, I think. (Just confirmed that, over 4.5 thou. Beaten by 7,000 in Barcelona, 2003. Well, that's Spain for you. I mean, think of the tomatoes!) But back to being nude amongst thousands at 4am in rainy Melbourne.
It was a fuggin' incredible experience!
Everybody was naked, everybody was different, there were fat people, hairy people, tattooed people, no one oggled anyone or did naughty stuff. That many people standing naked in a group generated an extraordinary warmth, and as we were directed to different areas and accidentally brushed up up against each other nobody freaked about being touched. And naked people are soft! It was all very... pure. Innocent, even. When it was time to get dressed everyone just spontaneously turned around and hugged the people near them, cheering.
I don't think much of the 'artworks' themselves, but I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world. It was one of the nicest things I've ever done.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I rather like like gallery shot. In fact, I think it is possibly the best Tunick shot yet.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:16 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If it's art, is it really NSFW?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 AM   #13
Ibby
erika

Better safe than fired...
Old 09-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I rather like like gallery shot. In fact, I think it is possibly the best Tunick shot yet.
That really is good, the lighting makes it.
In general, I think Tunick has found an amusing little niche but pictures of numerous chilly Europeans tends toward an unattractive purplish hue that just reminds me that we need clothes in these climates.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Incommunicadocat's post reminded me of when I went to the Moulin Rouge in Paris. Not my usual choice of entertainment and it's not important how I ended up there, but I (a woman, for those who don't know) found looking at the rows of topless dancers a liberating experience (no pun intended). Their breasts were all shapes and sizes, and the sight of this variety brought home to me in a very comforting way that any shape is a good shape for a breast. It's difficult to explain, and I can see all you guys (yes, YOU, LJ) saying "Doh! Of COURSE!" to me, but the media in general presents the idea that there is a "standard" shape, an idea which the ladies at the Moulin Rouge dispelled for me forever. I wish I could explain better ...