The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #286
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Huntsman i

"Anyone who is in the hip pocket of Wall Street because of all the donations they are picking up, like Mr. Romney, is in these days not going to be the change agent who is going to fix the too-big-to-fail banking system," Huntsman told an audience Monday night.
Huntsman can talk all he wants about his independence, but the fact is that his Horizon PAC started raising money for Huntsman campaign while he was still officially ambassador to China. Strictly speaking, this is illegal, but Huntsman is getting away with it because he claims Horizon drafted him.

From The Deseret News, A Utah paper with strong ties to the Mormon Church:

Quote:
Because the PAC was based in Utah, there was no limit on the amount that could be contributed. Individual donors gave as much as $250,000, with billionaire cosmetic mogul Ron Perelman giving $100,000 and Nike founder Phil Knight, $25,000.

Television magnate Herbert Seigel, one of the richest Americans, and his wife, Jeanne, gave a total of $400,000 to the PAC and Dallas-based development company, Trammel Crow, forked over $250,000 in one check.
In addition Huntsman comes from a devout Mormon family - one of his ancestors was on speaking terms with Moroni or something - and his father was a billionaire industrialist.

Now Huntsman would have us believe that all his wealthy supporters would never set so much as a toe onto Wall Street. No doubt his "billionaire industrialist" father put all the company profits into some credit union back in Utah.

Huntsman has proposed reducing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 25%, eliminating corporate taxes on income earned overseas, and implementing a tax holiday for repatriation of corporate profits. Of course, he is only trying to help those poor little corporate entities along. He himself has no interest in them. All those donations from wealthy supporters will be returned.

So he made nice with Obama. Smart career move. Getting the experience in high Federal government positions and making important Washington contacts is a plus in his bid for the presidency.

Bottom line, Huntsman is an extremely wealthy, Mormon, ex CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation. As a Mormon he is against any laws protecting homosexuals and he is pro life, among other things. If you don't know much about Mormonism, imagine a fundamentalist who believes that if he lives right and climbs up the hierarchy of the faithful, upon his death he will be given his very own planet to rule - kind of like a mini-god. And yes, Mormons really believe this.

If you Google Huntsman, you will quickly discover that he is little more than another wolf in sheep's clothing. I'd vote for Ron Paul over Huntsman.

Last edited by SamIam; 12-05-2011 at 08:49 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #287
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Against any law protecting homosexuals? That isn't true.

Quote:
Paul wants to eliminate at least 5 major departments of the federal government, as in this ad.
Did he hire the marketing team from Ford???
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #288
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Daily Beast
June 21, 2011

Quote:
In 2004 Huntsman supported Utah’s constitutional amendment
outlawing marriage for gays and lesbians, but then later
strongly supported a 2009 initiative to allow civil unions,
despite significant conservative opposition.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #289
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

marriage and civil unions are not considered the same thing by some
Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #290
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

That isn't being against any law that protects homosexuality. I disagree with him about gay marriage as well but civil unions is protecting homosexuality (to a degree)...
Old 12-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #291
SamIam

Just because he would allow civil unions does not mean Huntsman is a champion for gay rights. Compare the following statement made by Huntsman with the teachings of the Mormon Church.

Huntsman:

Quote:
I think redefining marriage is something that would be impossible and it’s something I would not be in favor of.
Mormon Doctrine:

Quote:
The Mormon Church is firm on its position condemning homosexuality as sinful behavior. One of the tenets of Mormon doctrine is the Law of Chastity. It permits sexual relations only between a husband and wife who are legally married. Marriage is a very important part of Mormon doctrine too. In the Mormon temple a couple can be married for eternity. This is part of living worthy to inherit the kingdom of God...

The Mormon Church will not bow to popular opinion that asserts because 'they were born that way', gays and lesbians should be permitted to live a homosexual lifestyle. The Mormon Church does not accept biological determination for same-sex attraction. The factors contributing to attraction are complex; it cannot be pinpointed to solely genetics or environment. But whether it is 'natural' or not, it is written in the Book of Mormon that the natural man is an enemy to God (Mosiah 3:19).
As a politician, Huntsman takes into account the growing acceptance on the part of the public of the gay life style and supports civil unions. Yet he is against "redefining marriage." Since he is a Mormon, is he is against gay marriage because “marriage is a very important part of Mormon doctrine”? Just how accepting of gays can he really be if he believes the Mormon dogma that gays are “an enemy to God”?

I remain skeptical.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #292
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have to say, his support for civil unions does him a great deal of credit in my view. It speaks to one of two things. Either he holds anti-gay views but isn't letting that adversely affect his political role. instead going for a compromise position that maintains the primacy of heterosexual marriage, but sanctions an important step forward in terms of alternatives to marriage.

Or, he is relatively moderate for a devout Christian.

Given that some of that stripe are dead against any acceptance of homosexuality at an official level, it was a strong stance to take.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #293
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Doesn't he accept evolution? For a religious guy, especially in the US, that makes him moderate.

Heck I've heard he even believes in anthropogenic climate change. That makes him the lunatic fringe of moderate conservatives.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #294
DanaC

The thing is, I don't think anyone on the left, even on the centre left is going to find themselves agreeing with a great deal of his opinions or policy intentions.

The question is, could he, from the right, find a compromise that worked for the whole of the centre, more or less, and take the left with him some of the way.

I don't know if that's likely or possible.

Ron Paul has been quite interesting. There have been a few times I've found myself nodding along. The comments he made about waterboarding for instance.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #295
DanaC

Someone needs to be able to break through the impasse in Washington.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #296
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Huntsman's views on marriage/civil union seem identical to Obama's.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #297
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
As a politician, Huntsman takes into account the growing acceptance on the part of the public of the gay life style and supports civil unions. Yet he is against "redefining marriage." Since he is a Mormon, is he is against gay marriage because “marriage is a very important part of Mormon doctrine”? Just how accepting of gays can he really be if he believes the Mormon dogma that gays are “an enemy to God”?

I remain skeptical.
Do you believe the same with Romney, who is also a Mormon? Or, maybe its possible that both candidates are Mormon without allowing the religion to control their beliefs?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #298
SamIam

I am willing to concede that both candidates - and any one else for that matter - may not allow their religion to "control their beliefs." Although isn't that how religion is defined - a system of belief?

Maybe Huntsman is a kinder, gentler Mormon who won't damage your stomach lining. I don't know.

I had a friend who is a lesbian who grew up in the Mormon church. Some of her stories just broke my heart. Her parents married her off at 16, so she could "over come" being gay. Needless to say, it didn't work. And I myself have had some unpleasant encounters with Mormons.

So, maybe my view of the Mormons is distorted. I'll admit that. But I still would rather not have a Mormon president.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #299
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Or, maybe its possible that both candidates are Mormon without allowing the religion to control their beliefs?
I don't think that is possible. The very foundation of religion IS a system of "beliefs". Many of the more extreme religions disallow tolerance, insisting that conversion and obedience to their dogma is the only acceptable way to live.

And in my opinion, someone who is unable or unwilling to tolerate differences in lifestyles and beliefs has no business running a multi-cultural and diverse country such as the USA.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #300
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Mormonism is just like any other religion: there are good honest people who can think for themselves and there are crazy fundamentalist assholes who feel they need to everyone to adhere to their beliefs. I grew up with two Mormons, in Wisconsin not Utah, and they were not extreme by any means. One was actually good friends with a gay guy as well.

I can't find the original article about Huntsman and his faith that I read but this one basically says the same thing (at least from what I skimmed over):

Quote:
Huntsman has called his adherence to Mormon practices “tough to define.’’ He has described himself as more spiritual than religious and as someone who gets “satisfaction from many different types of religions and philosophies.’’

The former Utah governor’s seeming ambivalence has surprised and disappointed many members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, some of whom have questioned whether Huntsman is trying to distance himself from his church for political gain. But others welcome his ambiguity: For them, it highlights a growing debate about whether this relatively new religion can accommodate a more elastic definition of what it means to be Mormon.
http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-1...mormon-circles