The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
How to pressure the electoral college?

It seems there are two electors that will go 'faithless' on the 29th. Is there some way we can urge more to consider this path, assuming we don't especially want the pres elect in office?

From a government standpoint, who would we put pressure on as well, our senators, governors, congressmen?

I'm not adequately versed in the workings of our government, but it seems that pressure can be brought to bear all along the chain.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Tricky stuff, it seems to me from reading the excerpts from the Federalist papers, that the currents situation is precisely what the electoral college system was designed to guard against, it their clear duty to not make Trump president.

but, what about the backlash from the people who believe in him, thousands packing out stadiums chanting his slogans who feel disenfranchised by 'the elites' and wanted somebody from outside the system to 'drain the swamp' (regardless of what he is actually doing and appointing). To be patted on the head by some faceless 'college' and told 'no you got it wrong' and put Hillary in, rigged system much?

Again the lesser of two evils, let Trump go ahead and prove how incapable he is, to the ruin of the country, or change the result to the destruction of faith in democracy and government to a great swath of the population.

I don't really know who the electoral college is, and so how to pressure them, kidnap their dogs?
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah this Democracy turned into a bad idea because the lower classes aren't voting the way we want.

Can we somehow overturn their votes?

Maybe we should change our entire system of government to do it, and guarantee that only we elites can vote.

(By "elites" of course I mean me and thee. But as always, I'm not so sure about thee.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Both Hillary and Trump are tools of distraction and manipulation. Bernie's message was allowed to be heard only, just like Howard Dean's in 2004. Now everything going on is just the process used to render that message impotent.

That's my conspiracy theory, anyway.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Pico and ME; 12-06-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think that, in the end, Trump will have done less damage than Hillary would have.

But, what do I know? I'm low class and easily manipulated.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I believe that Hillary would have been as productive as Obama was allowed to be. Trump is going to go for it all...pro-money makers at the expense of all classes except the money makers. We will have to see if its a harm or benefit to you and me. Did Reagans trickle down do much for you?

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 12-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Did Reagans trickle down do much for you?
No, but his war on drugs sure did...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

lol

Old 12-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll just put this here in case we need it in the future. Not saying we will, mind you, just in case.

Kleptocracy and kakistocracy explained
Kleptocracy is a government with corrupt rulers that use their power to exploit the people and natural resources of their own territory in order to extend their personal wealth and political power. Typically this system involves the embezzlement of state funds at the expense of the wider population, sometimes without even the pretense of honest service...

The effects of a kleptocratic government on a nation are typically adverse in regards to the welfare of the state's economy, political affairs and civil rights. Kleptocratic governance typically ruins prospects of foreign investment and drastically weakens the domestic market and cross-border trade...

Kakistocracy is a term meaning a state or country run by the worst, least qualified, or most unscrupulous citizens... The word comes from the Greek words kakistos (worst) and kratos (rule), with a literal meaning of government by the worst people.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Maybe we should change our entire system of government to do it, and guarantee that only [the] elites can vote.
That wouldn't be a change, when it comes to the Electoral College. Removing the Electoral College would be the change.

Heck, if the Electoral College blocked Trump, there might be bipartisan support for eliminating it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The EC doesn't have to give it to Hilary; they could elect anyone,at least it seems that way from reading what's his name's piece in the times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/op...ald-trump.html

Quote:
The election of the next president is not yet a done deal. Electors of conscience can still do the right thing for the good of the country. Presidential electors have the legal right and a constitutional duty to vote their conscience. I believe electors should unify behind a Republican alternative, an honorable and qualified man or woman such as Gov. John Kasich of Ohio. I pray my fellow electors will do their job and join with me in discovering who that person should be.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #12
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Concerns in Congress Rise Over Donald Trump’s ‘Militarizing’ His Cabinet

There's nothing to be concerned about. It's just a precautionary measure in case Elector College Electors double-cross their voters and make Hillary President. The Donald will be ready with a military coup!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

I think he'd look better in a military soft top.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Concerns in Congress Rise Over Donald Trump’s ‘Militarizing’ His Cabinet
No problem. Trump knows more than generals. Therefore they will only recommend what he wants them to recommend. That is what we voted for.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Yeh, remember how crazy republicans got when Obama had three Generals in his first cabinet?
me neither.