The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-22-2001, 04:13 PM   #46
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Cycling through the N0|z3b[]X

Hehehe....crackspeak is so quaint

right now, in and around my stereo

Kruder & Dorfmeister - the K&D Sessions: These guys are cheaper than acid, but roughly the same. Lots of organic sounding beatmixing with an almost jazzy feel, and breaking into a lot of smaples from songs we known and hate

Hopeless Records - Hopelessly Devoted to You vols. II and III: I <heart> punk rock. And the best part is, we've got a cool indie label around (these guys and sub-city are linked up, and worth a listen if you like punk rock).

The Promise Ring: I put together a compilation from a friend of mine's CD and what I've downloaded, and it's just wonderful emo, fun to listen to, down to earth, relaxing, A Picture Postcard is one of my favorite songs ever

Weezer - The Teal Album and Pinkerton: I put Green and blue together on one CD to make the teal album. The Blue Album is quite possibly my favorite CD ever, definitely the only one that I've listened to constantly for years

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 Soundtrack - No, I didn't buy the soundtrack, I napped it together then burned it. Some cool stuff there, especially Milencolin. I remember when a foreign exchange student was staying with my logical brother, and he brought a milencolin video that we had to convert to VHS. I stole it for about a week, and it was absolutely great. They and greenday turned me on to punk rock.

Blues Legends 2 pack - Screamin' Jay, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, for $15, how can you go wrong? Speaking of, did anybody catch the concert for NYC with clapton and buddy guy (especially any <i>guitaristas</i>)? That was absolutely incredibly....mind-boggling.

The Who - Who's Next: Baba O'Riley (flashes back to Summer of Sam....RICHIE!!!), Behind Blue Eyes. 'Nuff. Then they add won't get fooled again, and it becomes too much.

And I'm on a counting crows kick on the computer

Steve
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 06:26 PM   #47
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

A Perfect Circle--Mer de Noms: I was so excited to find this CD on Friday! I've been wanting to listen to it for weeks. As I've said previously, I like this CD better than the new Tool CD. Particularly the song "Magdalena." I dunno what it is about that song and "Judith," but they have a sinister sound about them that is kinda spooky. I'm not sure what the song is really about, but "Judith" sounds like a rant against the Catholic Church, which works for me. I can picture myself reworking that song and making a video for it. Perhaps when I become famous.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:33 PM   #48
Parabolate
Expectorant Inspector

Mer De Nom better that Lateralus? I don't know about that, but it is awesome.

The name "Magdalena" is a bibilcal reference to someone who lost their way, in a religious sense, someone who was once a person of God but is no longer (as in Mary Magdelene, i think).

Judith is more about the concept of blind faith, the idea of people believing something because they're told to, rather than any particular church. That's what I read on the APC website, anyway. Maynard's really into the whole "think for yourself" thing.

As for your video idea I think it's great, I'd like to do something similar with Tool's Eulogy. Get a whole bunch of Jesus movies out on video and put bits together to fit the music.
Parabolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 09:19 PM   #49
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Parabolate
As for your video idea I think it's great, I'd like to do something similar with Tool's Eulogy. Get a whole bunch of Jesus movies out on video and put bits together to fit the music.
Yeah, that's another great song. I can picture a concept for that one too.

For some reason, the one song I want to make a video out of is Depeche Mode's "Behind the Wheel." I could REALLY do something with that song...
Old 10-26-2001, 11:38 PM   #50
elSicomoro

In the stereo...

Seal: Human Being and Seal (1994)

Seal is great. I love the way he balances the ballads and danceable tunes. And the lyrics are very introspective, yet allow you to take some meaning from them. It doesn't hurt that Trevor Horn has produced both of these CDs either. Human Being was a bit of a downer CD, but I appreciate it more now, 3 years after its release.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:06 AM   #51
elSicomoro

also in the stereo right now...

Juliana Hatfield Three: Become What You Are--Nothing like some decent 3 minute pop ditties.

King's X: King's X and Dogman--The best Christian rock band that you wouldn't know is Christian. Actually, from what I understand, they espoused their Christian views a few years back, and Doug Pinnick (bassist/lead singer) is now gay. I just thought it was cool as hell to see a black guy rocking out in the late 80s..and their lyrics were always so off-the-wall.

Gravity Kills: Gravity Kills --Guy from Missouri gets some friends together to form a band. Band gets someone from Dallas to sing for them. Band winds up on a compilation disc issued by St. Louis's alternative station. Band's song on compilation album, "Guilty," blows up huge. Band gets record deal. Band puts out great debut album. Songs from band wind up on soundtracks to "Mortal Kombat," "Seven," and "Escape from LA." Band gets their own nail polish named after their second record, "Perversion." Nothing like seeing some local folks do well.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 10-28-2001 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:35 AM   #52
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Parabolate
The name "Magdalena" is a bibilcal reference to someone who lost their way, in a religious sense, someone who was once a person of God but is no longer (as in Mary Magdelene, i think).
Uh... Mary Magdelene was a "concubine" who became a woman of God.

Regardless... I think Magdelena is a girl's name, just like most of the songs on the album are names (hence "mer de noms" - "sea of names")... and I think Billy or Maynard wanted her pretty bad. That's what the song is to me, anyway. And that's what the lyrics seem to indicate. Unlike Judith or Eulogy (which is, incidentally, pretty widely accepted to be about L. Ron Hubbard), I see no biblical references in Magdelena.

Pretty fucking great song though.

Re: Judith - Maynard has said that it's about a girl named Judith who is so blinded by her religion that she won't even acknowledge that the song could be about her. Religion was limiting her life, and he saw it and wrote a song about it.

Another interesting song with religous connotations - Metallica's The God That Failed. They don't play this live very often because it's such an emotional song for James. It's about his mother, who was deeply religous. She became sick and refused medical treatment because she felt that God would heal her. Needless to say, she didn't make it. Hence the song. "The healing hand held back by the deepend nail"... it takes on a whole different life when you listen to it realizing what it's really about.

Syc - "Turn it up! Bring tha noize!" hehe. What a great album. But my favorite Anthrax song has gotta be "I'm the Man". Ha. What a great song.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:54 PM   #53
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Uh... Mary Magdelene was a "concubine" who became a woman of God.
Let's skip the quotes here...she was a hooker.

Quote:
Another interesting song with religous connotations - Metallica's The God That Failed. They don't play this live very often because it's such an emotional song for James. It's about his mother, who was deeply religous. She became sick and refused medical treatment because she felt that God would heal her. Needless to say, she didn't make it. Hence the song. "The healing hand held back by the deepend nail"... it takes on a whole different life when you listen to it realizing what it's really about.
Yeah, weren't his parents Christian Scientists? Speaking of him, I haven't followed the band lately. I hope his detox/treatment is going well.

Quote:
Syc - "Turn it up! Bring tha noize!" hehe. What a great album. But my favorite Anthrax song has gotta be "I'm the Man". Ha. What a great song.
"I'm on your case. I'm in your face. Kick you and your father back in place. Step off sucker! Understand? Don't you know? I'M THE MAN!" heh...
Old 11-02-2001, 12:01 PM   #54
IndyTone
Lead Subordinate

Club 8

Stereolab

Ladytron

and

Couch
Old 11-09-2001, 03:22 PM   #55
elSicomoro

Depeche Mode: Ultra--DM has one of the most rabid fan bases of any band out there. They put a new record out and it goes platinum. They sell out many of their tour dates (in 20,000 seat arenas), yet the only songs you'll hear by them on the radio are "People Are People" and their singles from the Violator album. They are only one of seven UK bands to debut at no. 1 on the US album chart (with 1993's Songs of Faith and Devotion). They are severely underrated, period. Ultra came out in 1997, a year or so after lead singer Dave Gahan nearly killed himself battling a heroin addiction. I've always liked the album, but I appreciate it more now. They've always been considered an electronic band, but this album (and their 2 previous albums) shows off more organic instrumentation. My personal fave off this album is "Useless," which I would consider one of those "perfect" rock songs.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-09-2001 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2001, 04:50 PM   #56
elSicomoro

Another DM gem...

Construction Time Again (1983): Their 3rd album, but first good one. Speak & Spell had too much Vince Clarke (Erasure) in it. A Broken Frame was a bit minimalist. DM takes on politics, corruption, and the environment. Adding Alan Wilder as a instrumentalist was brilliant. Catchy pop tunes ("The Landscape is Changing," "Told You So," "Everything Counts") with some meaning...well ahead of their time.
Old 11-09-2001, 05:09 PM   #57
dave

admit it, though... violator is the best dm album... sweetest perfection, halo, personal jesus, enjoy the silence (except for the AWFUL ending)... it's good stuff...

dm is good though, you're right... their best-of double cd is pretty tasty... i recommend it for a strong dose of depeche mode goodness...
Old 11-09-2001, 09:57 PM   #58
node
Pithy Euphemist

Rammstein. Nebel. And loud.

Pete
node is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:11 PM   #59
elSicomoro

"Let's have a black celebration..."

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
admit it, though... violator is the best dm album... sweetest perfection, halo, personal jesus, enjoy the silence (except for the AWFUL ending)... it's good stuff...
It is no doubt a great album. However, I just don't think it is quite their best work. I'd have to go with Music for the Masses. My personal fave is Songs of Faith and Devotion.

The ending for "ETS" is okay, but not as bad as the ending for "Personal Jesus."

Quote:
dm is good though, you're right... their best-of double cd is pretty tasty... i recommend it for a strong dose of depeche mode goodness...
Indeed. Also, for a dose of their early quirkiness, "The Singles 81-85."

They also put on a hell of a live show. I saw them in Chicago in 1998 and here in Philadelphia in July. Well worth the $45 ticket.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:17 PM   #60
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by node
Rammstein. Nebel. And loud.
Truth be told, I haven't paid much attention to Rammstein lately, but I dug Sehnsucht. And their cover of Depeche Mode's "Stripped" on the "For the Masses" tribute CD was fucking funny as hell.