The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Ok, so I am a hypocrite!

Ok, I admit it outright! I am a gun owner and I really believe that we do need background checks for all gun purchases even private sales and I am dissapointed in the Senate for caving in to the NRA of which I am not and have never been a member!

That being said, I decided to sell my M1 Garand rifle. In inherited it from my father in law because no one else in the family has any interest in guns. However I mostly only own and shoot shotguns so it has just sat in my closet for the past few years. My father in law got it from the CMP, the Civilian Marksmanship Program which promotes marksmanship and gun ownership from a bit more of a responsible way than the NRA, at least in my opinion. For years they have sold WWII and Korean war rifles such as the M1 and the earlier Sprinfield 1903 bolt action rifle.

I did some research on the history of the M1, mine was made by IHC, International Harvester. Yes the tractor company. There were 4 different manufactures such as Springfield and IHC had the last contract. My gun is dated 1954 and is in very good shape and never fired since we got it.

But selling a gun in a big city like Houston isn't as easy as it used to be. Most newspapers don't have much circulation for the print editions and some don't take ads for guns. And eBay and Craig's List won't take gun ads either. So I found an online gun website where I could run the ad. The ad is here if you would like to see it:
http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=358002

So it's been a week and I've had 6 or 7 guys contact me... no ladies yet. 2 have offered outright $1200 but I would like to hold out for more. I also like it when someone comes to look and then makes you an offer based on what they see, that is haggling and the correct way to negotiate a final price. I hate the concept of a "by it now" price.

So I guess I am a hypocrite since I will not require the buyer to show me his background check. Oh well.... if it were the law I would obey it.

Incidentally I plan to use the money to buy a planer for my workshop since I need one for when I make the raised panel doors for my kitchen cabinet project. I plan to get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wow, my brother just asked me and other brother to chip in on a M1 Garand wall decor thingy for my dad for Father's day. He knew it was a replica but thought it was bigger. Still, it'll be cool for his shop.

I saw your post and thought...hey, wait a sec. But 1500 is a bit out of our range.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

My grandfather has one that he was issued during the Korean war. He had a match-grade barrel put on it and has been using it on his farm ever since.

Really fun gun to shoot. Would definitely pop for this one if I had the spare cash. (Unexpected car repairs sucked up my surplus this month.)
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
infinite monkey

Oh, my brother says dad has one...hell I don't know from guns. I just know they all have a bunch of 'em. He even has a serial number and knows where it was made and stuff.

But like I said, I'm just repeating like a parrot. I dont' know anything about it.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If I had an M1, I don't know that I'd part with it.

But, I do know it would take more than $1200 to make me do it.

Surely you have an extra $5000 lens or two lying around...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
But 1500 is a bit out of our range.
Springfield Armory has been making new M1s for a while now. I'd bet with a little scrounging you could come up w/one of those for less than a grand.

If one were so inclined.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
chrisinhouston
Professor

Yes, they are available for less but with ordering from the CMP you do get a working gun that has been refurbished and has been test fired but you don't know what you will get until it arrives... kind of like a baby.

It may be a beauty or a pretty rough field gun.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
CMP had a few Krag 30-40s for a while. That was my first rifle. I hated its kick and developed a bad flinch. I gave it to my buddy who still has it. I was shocked to see that they cost a lot more than the $75 I paid for it.

I'd love to replace it some day now that I know about limbsavers...
Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

K-Mart (way back in the day) used to sell SKSs for $59. You ought to see how they've gone up...$289 is the cheapest I've seen in a while. And that was about a year ago.

Off-beat caliber, older Euro/Russian rifles/pistols is the way to go on the cheap. Plus, you can actually find ammo for them.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
chrisinhouston
Professor

I can remember back in the mid 1980's seeing an ad here in Houston for M1 Garands at Woolworths shortly before they shut down. Guns at Woolworths? Sure right next to the soda fountain!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
infinite monkey

Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I don't see the hypocrisy. Wanting to own and/or sell a gun and also wanting the ownership and sale of guns to be in some way regulated, or monitored for public safety seems an eminently sensible position to me.

Selling a gun in an unregulated fashion is currently your only option.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I don't see the hypocrisy. Wanting to own and/or sell a gun and also wanting the ownership and sale of guns to be in some way regulated, or monitored for public safety seems an eminently sensible position to me.

Selling a gun in an unregulated fashion is currently your only option.
The NRA wants to have some words with you...and they WILL have you extradited over here to do so.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
... Selling a gun in an unregulated fashion is currently your only option.
That's not true. While Texas may neither require background checks nor have its own State agency to perform them, Federal Firearms License (FFL) gun dealers are still required under federal law to do background checks through the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System. For the price of a FFL dealer's commission, chrisinhouston has the option of putting his firearm on consignment with one of them and getting a background check. If his priority is on squeezing every dollar out of the firearm's sale by selling it privately, then I consider his self assessment of being a hypocrite to be accurate. Nothing unusual about people becoming hypocrites when they find that their scruples will cost them money.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I don't think it is so hypocritical. Chris could go through a licensed dealer, but under current laws, all that would do is cause Mr G. Banger to buy his new gun from someone else.

Besides, what kind of crook wants an M1? Handguns, or semi autos, please.