The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 10-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #406
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Some pics of camping from the phone
Site pics taken on the second day
Name:  Site photo1.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  239.1 KB

Name:  Site photo 2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  Site photo .jpg
Views: 260
Size:  274.0 KB

First fire from the first night
Name:  First Fire.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  142.1 KB
Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #407
bbro

I put the first dinner on the grill. It was a rush since it took so long to get the fire going, it was late. So, sorry for the blurry photos and no finished dish. I was HUNGRY
Name:  First dinner cooking.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  86.1 KB

Done peppers - needed more salt
Name:  Out of focus peppers.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  111.0 KB

Raw potatoes. I actually put these back int he fire when I was relaxing. One of the packets ended up being ripped, so I turned potatoes into charcoal
Name:  Raw potates.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  120.8 KB

I used leftovers of the sausage and potatoes to go with my eggs in the morning. It took 2 hours to light the fire, but I still didn't get the sausage and potatoes heated up right. I have to work on that.
Name:  First breakfast.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  143.7 KB
Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #408
bbro

Since it took so long to light the fire, I kept that bad boy running for about 10 hours. I used some downed wood to help (which I found out later isn't actually allowed). Oops

I used the fire to cook some ham for later use (that I should really use)
Name:  Ham.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  121.8 KB

I forgot a spatula to turn the burgers, so I put them on foil in case they fell apart or dropped while using the tongs. I actually ended up poking holes in the foil so the fat would drain out. I worked pretty well!
Name:  Burgers cooking.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  129.1 KB

Finished - supplemented with noodles that I didn't take a picture of because they were trader joe's instant ramen
Name:  Finished burger.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  127.7 KB

The fire finally dying out
Name:  Last fire.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  43.3 KB

Hope you enjoyed it
Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #409
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #410
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Well bbro that is about the nicest camp site I have seen in a while. I love rocks.

That is a well built fire good as a boy scout, but you are using green park wood that is bought at the country store. You have to have a helluva tinder base to get that going. Go outside the park gates to find dry wood which is easily broken into smaller pieces.

Oh by the way if you make a soap solution with bar soap and apply to the outside of the pots before cooking you will find the soot so much easier to clean.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #411
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Well bbro that is about the nicest camp site I have seen in a while. I love rocks.

That is a well built fire good as a boy scout, but you are using green park wood that is bought at the country store. You have to have a helluva tinder base to get that going. Go outside the park gates to find dry wood which is easily broken into smaller pieces.

Oh by the way if you make a soap solution with bar soap and apply to the outside of the pots before cooking you will find the soot so much easier to clean.
Thanks for the cleaning tip!

My friend taught me how to build the fire, so I'll let her know you approve

I am using the park's wood because it's easier. It was actually kiln dried wood, so not green. Not all of the parks have anywhere close to buy wood.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #412
Griff
still says videotape

You're figuring all this out!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #413
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Yes you are bbro! For the record, fire is hard. You're doing fine.

You said "last camping trip"? Not as in most recent, but the final trip? Until....? Nicer weather?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #414
bbro

Thanks Griff! And BigV

So, by "my last camping trip", I mean the last one SCHEDULED for the year. I would like to go again, but I'm not sure if I could. I would only be able to do single night trips since I have a new job that's contract - no days off. I still will take the day after thanksgiving off, so I am thinking about taking a trip then.

I actually was thinking of going next week since I have days off I am taking before the company takes them all. Instead, I'm going to have to log in once a day. I am thinking of an overnighter at the park I went to for my very first trip. either that or I'm going to get a bunch of stamps on the parks I missed because of weather. I kind of prefer the cooler camping because of fires. And I don't sweat.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #415
bbro

I am unexpectedly unemployed this week (New job start date was delayed), so I am going camping. I am going to the same site as last time. I still need pictures from that park and I liked it. Soooo,

I'm so freaking excited! I know what to expect at camp, so it's gonna be AWESOME. I can't wait. There's going to be some epic food.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #416
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Start the lunch fire at 9am.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #417
captainhook455
Rapscallion

What kind of epic food?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #418
bbro

@Grav - lunch is soup on the stove! No fire needed. So, I'll start it at 2pm for dinner at 6pm

@cap - Steak! Potatoes! Chicken! Gravy! I'm so excited!!! HOT DOGS!
Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #419
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Buy some silver queen corn on the cob with the shucks intact. Soak in water for a hour. Put them on the coals of fire turning occasionally. The shucks will have burnt spots, but won't catch on fire and it might be burnt near the tassels. The corn steams inside the shuck. When you figure its done peel the shuck down until you have a handy handle as the corn will be HOT.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #420
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Cut a head of cabbage into eighths. Buttersaltpepperwhatever, wrap the eighths (separately) in foil, cook 'em in the fire like a baked potato.

Til they're done, that's how long.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote