The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
juju
no one of consequence

Parenting forum?

Would there be any interest in a Parenting forum among the users of the Cellar?

The reason I ask is, I personally find myself hesitant to post threads about kids and such in Home Base, as people without kids wouldn't be the least bit interested in it. On the other hand, if no one here is interested that subject, then perhaps the forum would just end up seeing no activity? I'd feel silly if I was the only one there.

I realize that we run the risk of going forum-happy with this. I ask because I was frequenting a parenting board (mommietalk.com - Yeah, yeah, save the jokes, smartass!), but the moderators are very strict and don't tolerate any disagreement of opinion between the users whatsoever. One person can say, "Oh, that offends me!", and the entire thread will closed. :(
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

you may be wrong there. Those of us with no children always seem to know best how others should raise them.

That's just my observation.

That said, I tend to dislike children, although I'm full of advice on what you should be doing with them.

Brian
Old 01-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I like your idea, juju. I would contribute to this forum, as I am a parent and find the topic interesting.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Re: Parenting forum?

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I realize that we run the risk of going forum-happy with this. I ask because I was frequenting a parenting board (mommietalk.com - Yeah, yeah, save the jokes, smartass!)
Welcome to the world of parenting... we had my son's birthday party this past Saturday at a local indoor kiddie jungle gym kind of place, and when we showed up there was a sepcial nametag for him, and another special nametag pre-made that said "__[kid's name]___'s Mom." Of course there was no nametag for the dad!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
juju
no one of consequence

lol. Yeah, just like in a lot of places, there are changing tables in the women's bathrooms, but not the men's! What a bunch of crap! So much for sharing responsibility. Ah well.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'd read it. Jinx would too. She administers a yahoo mommy forum like the one you mentioned, but she let's people fight things out. I'm sure she'd have lots to add to it.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
I'd read it. Jinx would too. She administers a yahoo mommy forum like the one you mentioned, but she let's people fight things out. I'm sure she'd have lots to add to it.
Or maybe you could just add to it for me?
Old 01-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
russotto
Professor

Can this forum be blocked from the "Search for New Topics"? Removed from a user's list entirely?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx

Or maybe you could just add to it for me?
guh.....soooorrrryy! didn;t mean to liose my head.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #10
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Can this forum be blocked from the "Search for New Topics"? Removed from a user's list entirely?
That would be a neat feature. I don't think the default vBulletin supports it, otherwise we'd already have that ability. Maybe there is an add-on module somewhere for it?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's possible to block any given forum from "view new messages"... but if blocked, it's blocked for everybody.

I didn't see a quick way to get past this problem.

They are coming out with a vbulletin 3, which has more features but it seems to have been in beta for years now.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
juju
no one of consequence

There are certain forums I never read, such as Cities, Sports, and Food and Drink. I still use the "View new messages" feature exclusively. I just look to see what forum the thread was posted in before I click on it.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Rho, being the childfree militant, thinks that a childfree forum should be created, but we already have that (more or less) in the Manifestos.

If enough people are interested in a parenting forum, then have at it...more people for me to poke fun at.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The problem is that the main area should be full of general topics that can appeal to anyone (IMO).

The topics in the main area are important, because people decide whether it's something interesting based on what forums they see. This is how they try to figure out who we are and whether we appeal to them as a group.

So our user base would swing towards fresh parents from here on out, and I think some of us would be uncomfortable with that.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:43 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I dunno about that, UT. There are plenty of places out there that try to court parents. We're just a drop in the ocean.

Of course, Juju could always use his old place as the starting point for such a forum, since he's not using it at this point...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote