The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #106
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

NCAA hammers Penn State with 4-year postseason ban, vacates wins from 1998-2011, imposes $60M fine and slashes scholarships

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...#ixzz21SIchb9T
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #107
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Yrp - Joe has become the scapegoat, rightfully deserved or not.
Its far easier to blame him now that he is dead, than to actually prosecute those who are still alive. Sickening all the way around.
The ban of his wins since '98 will take that record from him. Whoopdyfuckindoo.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #108
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wow !

I posted earlier that I thought it was a "blame the dead guy" scenario,
but I changed my mind upon reading this one paragraph in Spexxvet's link ...

Quote:
Emmert, speaking at a live press conference at the association's Indianapolis headquarters,
said Penn State had perpetrated a "football first" culture that ultimately enabled
a serial child abuser, former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, to continue his crimes for years.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #109
classicman

I wasn't insinuating that he was faultless, but it seems that the rest of the "leadership"
are not getting slammed anywhere near as much. I personally hope they all rot in prison.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #110
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Yrp - Joe has become the scapegoat, rightfully deserved or not.
Its far easier to blame him now that he is dead, than to actually prosecute those who are still alive. Sickening all the way around.
The ban of his wins since '98 will take that record from him. Whoopdyfuckindoo.
As Louis CK was saying on the Daily Show, there really isn't an "in-between" when it comes to pedophiles. You're either for it or against it, There's no one who says, "Yeah, I don't do it myself, but it's cool if other people are into that."

But, yeah, blame the dead guy. As though there was no one other than Paterno and Sandusky involved in the cover up?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #111
Spexxvet

These are the incompetent assholes who are more responsible than everyone but Sandusky. If they'd done they're job,....
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #112
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And the janitors who actually saw it and said nothing.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #113
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
These are the incompetent assholes who are more responsible than everyone but Sandusky. If they'd done they're job,....
Understand what the trustees are doing. They are staying ahead of the scandal. Otherwise they would, in mass, be also found responsible.

For example, they rushed through the Freeh report that blamed Paterno only by implication. Without any explicit facts. Then they negotiated a deal with the NCAA so that the NCAA would not investigate. Meanwhile they are castigating Paterno (who cannot defend himself) and other obviously guilty people so that nobody will look any farther. Nobody will notice a board of trustees that need all investigations and facts to end before more is discovered. My god. The brother of the assisant Chairman lived in Sandusky's basement. And he still did not know?

This is a perfect example of a controlled avalanche so that nobody can get organized and learn the whole story. Exactly what any good PR person would have them do.

Penalties on the innocent are massive. But the trustees with their well protected 15 year terms will remain untainted. If we were to apply the same penalty to the Catholic Church (that openly protected and all but condoned pedophilia), then the fines would be on the order of something less than $1 trillion. And no church services for four years.

Sandusky was dismissed from the Penn State atheltic program in 1998. But trustees and management permitted him access to campus facilities after 1998. So all Penn State accomplishments after 1998 (by other innocent people) must now be quashed from the record.

Meanwhile, Sandusky's wife who also apparently knew of the pedophilia, is also getting off without charges.

What kind of deal did the trustees rush through? One that punishes everyone except the trustees. Does that not sound suspicious? 85% of all problems are directly traceable to who? Or is that whom?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #114
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
And no church services for four years.
Show that one to anybody who says The Cellar doesn't come up with any new ideas.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #115
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Show that one to anybody who says The Cellar doesn't come up with any new ideas.
An old idea. It was posted maybe a week ago. "Current Events" means last week was history.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #116
Spexxvet

Some immediate reaction thoughts:

Taxpayers subsidize Penn State, directly through funding and indirectly through student tuition programs. Fining the institution is fining taxpayers. The NCAA fines and the sure-to-come (and justified) civil penalties should be paid by the individuals responsible - administrators, board members, prosecutors, investigators, janitors, et al.

The NCAA penalties will hurt people well beyond the football program and the university. Local businesses are going to take a beating, when maybe 20,000 fewer people come to town 8 times a year.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #117
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
The NCAA penalties will hurt people well beyond the football program and the university.
The Penn State football program as a first rate contender is done and over. SMU that received much less punishment never recovered. These penalties are designed to harm the football program. Only the trustees (and Sandusky's wife) are getting off easy.

The $60million penalty comes at the expense of Penn State's (31?) other varsity athletic programs. Trustees will see no harm to their budgets.

All Penn State scholarship players are open game for all other schools. For example, if a school is limited to only 60 scholarships and recruits two Penn State players. Then the school can have 62 recruited players on scholarship. The Penn State football program, one of the few profitable ones in college sports, will not recover. The trustees did absolutely nothing to protect it. Suggesting trustees were sacrificing the entire athletic department to not be tainted by this scandal and their decades of inaction.

Would the trustees have protected an honest janitor that reported pedophilia? Of course not. That was the problem.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #118
classicman

And the tuition increases to cover the cost of the penalties will put even more students into deeper debt.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #119
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
All blame for all of the fallout should ultimately rest on the shoulders of Sandusky himself. He made the choice to do what he did. Even when he was found out, he didn't decide to stop and continued for years.

After him, blame should rest on all those who saw, heard about, knew about what the pedo was doing - the janitors, Paterno, his wife, anyone else who walked in on him, talked to him about it, somehow knew about it and eventually chose self-preservation over stopping a known pedo.

All who are angry about the fine (whomever it affects), the loss of a (generally) good thing, the loss of local/small business economy, the sticky, tar black smear on the reputation, the sundering of hopes, dreams and ideals... they should not blame NCAA, they should not blame the media coverage, they should not blame the victims, they should not blame the trustees (unless they knew about it... I'm not quite clear on that). All of that is reaction, brought about by Sandusky's original actions.

They should directly blame Jerry "Uncle Touchy" Sandusky this and all those who knew and did nothing for the sake of keeping their job (janitors), keeping the stars in their eyes (authorities who knew but did not fully investigate), keeping the marketability and reputation of the football program profitable (Paterno), keeping themselves from being The One Who Exposed A Flaw At LEGENDARY PENN STATE (everyone else who knew).

Because without Sandusky's wandering hands and other bits, without the hushing and cover-ups and quiet deals, the institution of Penn State, its athletic program, faculty, alumni and fans would not be going through this now. If the authorities and the school had pursued this after the first child, Penn State could have held him up by the proverbial collar, gave a 'We found this rat in our midst and now we're kicking him out.' statement and threw him out with no parachute, and the aftermath image would have been 'They had this problem but they took care of it so it's all good.', instead of 'They had this problem, but they let it fester and grow like a cancer because they were afraid of the social implications and that's no good.'

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #120
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

My simple rules regarding cases like this:

If you knowingly harm a child - Die in a fire

If you know someone is harming a child and do nothing - Die in a fire

If you know someone is harming a child and only report it to your boss and not the police - Die in a fire

That should cover all involved.