The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-31-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Major Matt Mason
Old School Cellardweller

Lightbulb On the Proper Philly Cheesesteak

A lotta folks outside of Philly are being fed things that are called "Philly cheesesteaks" which range from "nice try but no cigar" to "You HAVE to be kidding!"

Main problem's the roll. Outside of the Phila-NY corridor, really decent Italian bakeries are thin on the ground. And let's face it, a cheesesteak isn't a cheesesteak unless it has a Sarcone's hoagie roll, with Amoroso's as a good second choice. The roll really should be fresh with a crispy crust. Sourdough long rolls or panini are a workable substitute.

The beef itself is fairly simple: The cheapest cut of pot roast/brisket/etc. you can find, sliced thin against the grain. Pile this on a flat metal grilling surface (or a wok is OK, too) and grill it using olive oil. Use metal spatulas to chop the meat further as it cooks.

Sides: Fried onions are the classic topping. Again, grill with olive oil until the onions are transparent and set aside while grilling the beef. Fried green peppers are OK, too.

Cheese: Purists use nothing but Cheez Whiz. However, sliced provolone is good, too.

Bon appetit!

-MMM-
Old 07-31-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Matt Mason
Main problem's the roll. Outside of the Phila-NY corridor, really decent Italian bakeries are thin on the ground. And let's face it, a cheesesteak isn't a cheesesteak unless it has a Sarcone's hoagie roll, with Amoroso's as a good second choice. The roll really should be fresh with a crispy crust. Sourdough long rolls or panini are a workable substitute.
-MMM-
Are you ready to go to war with Chicago and Boston (and New Orleans) over this?

I think I've had Sarcone's in the past, but I prefer Amoroso. When I was in Atlanta a long while back, I met a guy who opened an 'authentic' steak shop. If I remember, he had Amoroso's rolls shipped in.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Shortly after we moved here, I was introduced to steaks with Cheese Wiz at The Spectrum. I considered this completely revolting, and I just naturally assumed that this was an abomination that anyone of good sense would abhor in favor of some good Italian product like provolone. I couldn't believe it when I found out that wiz is considered the traditional default choice!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

You Philly guys really do have the cheesesteak thingie down to a science. I had one years ago while visiting and since then I have wandered aimlessly in search of another "real" cheesesteak sandwich. Nothing around here but futile attempts. Might be a good business angle. But then again, some things just aren't authentic unless they have the proper geographical origin. My grandmother's buiscits weren't as good when she baked them at our house. Maybe I'll fly to the Penn State soon. I'm hungry.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
When I was in Atlanta a long while back, I met a guy who opened an 'authentic' steak shop. If I remember, he had Amoroso's rolls shipped in.
Really? Where was this? I tried Philly Connection, which was horrible. I did go to a pizza-ish type joint in Decatur that did an <I>okay</I> sandwich made of beef fried on a flat griddle with melted american cheese, but a Philly cheesesteak it most decidedly was not.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Matt Mason
Main problem's the roll. Outside of the Phila-NY corridor, really decent Italian bakeries are thin on the ground.
Yeah, for most of flatland, at least, I'd agree. But there's no shortage of good Italian bread etc. here in Chicago. And even in St. Louis, decent bread can be found on The Hill.

On another topic: Cheez Whiz???? You're kidding, right?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I need one of you to come to Texas and tell me if the cheesesteaks served at Texadelphia are as great as I think they are, or way off the mark.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

We''ll ALL be right over.... you buyin'?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512

You actually have to see the big ol' can of it, with dried whiz crust around the rim, sitting next to the grill to fully appreciate...gah, I can't finish...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
You actually have to see the big ol' can of it, with dried whiz crust around the rim, sitting next to the grill to fully appreciate...gah, I can't finish...
It's the lucious texture of this cheesy, creamy goodness that makes you marvel at the artificial ingenuity that it is.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
jinx
Come on, cat.

I've heard that it's gray before they put all the artificial colors in...
Old 08-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
No.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
I wish. Like I said, when I saw it at The Spectrum as a Philadelphia newbie, I thought it was a stadium concession stand travesty.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Well, now I want to try one. As much as I shudder at the thought, I'll have to try it with cheeze whiz for authenticity - once.

I've got a good local butcher. What cut of beef should I buy if I don't really want to buy a five pound roast?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

there's a philly connection near the house, it's o.k. NBN eats the crap out of 'em. i on the other hand have only had it a couple of times. there's a perfectly good subway just down the street from there.

cheese whiz? on steak? if that's what philly conn. uses then it's sorta ok but damn, that just sounds nasty.