The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

A lot of times they literally can't sell it to you because the registers are all computerized and they won't allow the sale before the clock strikes noon. But the other reason is, the government agencies will set up stings (at least around here.) They will send someone in to try to buy alcohol at 11:55, and if the store sells it they get slapped with a huge fine. Or they'll send someone underage to try to get into a bar, or they'll just come in undercover to all-ages clubs and start hunting down minors who have gotten someone else to buy a beer for them. It's nothing but a revenue-generator, but it's a sizeable revenue-generator, apparently.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
<snip> It's nothing but a revenue-generator, but it's a sizeable revenue-generator, apparently.
A mild disagreement... it's enforcement or regulation, and really has
an exquisitely small bit to do with generating revenue.

It keeps honest people honest.. and if not, the size of the fine has to be large
enough to get the owner's attention compared to having to give up their "illegal" income.

My experience came from a clinical lab doing PAP smears, where the
director was doing them, himself, to avoid having to pay a pathologist.
Warnings did not fix the problem, but a very healthy fine did work wonders.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It's nothing but a revenue-generator, but it's a sizeable revenue-generator, apparently.
True. In most States. Like this great asshole state.
And that is NOT IMHO.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'm just surprised they think i'll wait 5 minutes. i'm not that damn desperate and my class starts at 12. I'll buy my beer later. You are right, fob, that the registers won't let them.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

Takes me back to the days of the Lord's Day Observance Society when the only shops open on Sunday were paper shops and they were only allowed to sell papers. Wales was also 'dry' on Sundays and hordes of thirsty Welsh people came pouring off the cross channel ferry to my my town, and we poured 'em back on in the evening.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I certainly remember the old licensing laws.
We were s'posed to be open 12.00-15.00 on Sundays.
Nice easy shift.
'Cept you had to turn up at 11.30 and hammer on the door to get in, as Ben would be horribly hungover and would not have restocked any of the fridges.

I didn't get paid for that 30 minutes, but I officially worked until midnight on a weekday shift, and if it was quiet I'd be allowed to go 15-30 minutes early, so it was all okay.

The thing is, I worked Saturday nights, and would often get drawn into a lock-in. Either as a barmaid, or sometimes as a punter. Usually a combination of the two as we all got drunk. So I spent many a Sunday afternoon feeling wretched from the beer fumes as I worked. Luckily I was 19-24 so I probably didn't show it.

My Sunday hangover "cure" was pretty much all the regulars offering me a drink!
From the lovely old Aylesbury Ducks who waited outside the door for 12.00, to the pub football team who crashed in about 13.30.

And then Ben would ask me if I wanted to carry on another hour. Pinched and squeezed and given a higher hourly rate, I would agree.
It meant I could flirt with the football team (one of whom was the ex I adored for longer than we actually had a relationship)

Em would start at 19.00.
She said she never knew what to wish for. If I was there, the pub would be in a decent state, but with the additional concern that I might slide slowly off my barstool. Or disappear with someone she wasn't sure of.

If I wasn't there, she would still have the inebriated customers but the fridges would be empty, the tables would be filthy, there would be dirty glasses and ashtrays and the area behind the bar would need a good mop.

Last edited by Sundae; 12-10-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet View Post
Takes me back to the days of the Lord's Day Observance Society when the only shops open on Sunday were paper shops and they were only allowed to sell papers. Wales was also 'dry' on Sundays and hordes of thirsty Welsh people came pouring off the cross channel ferry to my my town, and we poured 'em back on in the evening.
hey there, blue eyes... haven't seen you around much lately... how's things?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i just got back from trying to buy a new truck. obviously though, because of the disaster, my credit is below the basement. have to wait for paul to get back from hunting so i can coerce i mean ask him to co-sign for me.

but yeah like clod said, the dealerships are closed on either day of the weekend. usually sundays. dumb i think.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

[quote=jimhelm;779327]hey there, blue eyes... haven't seen you around much lately... how's things?[/QUOTe

Wicked1 Sitting on the floor drowning in a sea of Christmas wrapping paper and ribbons, glass of red next to me and Woody Allen film 'Vicky Christina Barcelona' on TV. Oh and I have chocolate mints. Wicked
Old 12-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
monster

Just got in from test driving the Fiesta and the Focus and buying a festive tree -was supposed to also drive the Fit, but they sold it while we were en route.

So, it looked like the extra deals on the Foci were drawing us towards that because we could get either car for pretty much the same price. Having driven them, we're reasonably firmly in the Fiesta camp. Very smooth, very nippy and not noticeably less room than the Focus. Also, in the new focus, it may have the split rear seat the old one (and the Fiesta) didn't, but the car is rearranged in such a way that beest can't get the double seat folded completely with the driver's seat where he needs it, so that kind of nrgates that advantage. The focus was noticeably unresponsive and quite heavy to drive. the kids squabbled equally in both.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #26
monster

Philthy, can you weld a truck frame? my friend has an old Toyota truck going for peanuts to someone who can deal with a condemned frame.....

(currently our second car)
Old 12-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
monster

Which reminds me...... We don't have a trade-in. We wouldn't have had, even if I hadn't rearranged it in an interesting way. But our friends have this truck they no longer want/can't really sell.

It's a Toyota Tacoma, old, 104,000 miles, starts first time, every time, even in the cold.... but there was a recall on the frames because they rust out, when they took it in they were told they missed the cut off by three weeks, yes, their truck was condemned/would have been eligable for the buy-back, but they were too late. So now they can only sell it for parts or to someone who can fix the frame/is willing to take the risk (a mechanic friend took a look and told them it's probably got a couple of years left. probably)

but it drives really nicely. for a vehicle that age, etc.

Is there any chance they might get more money for it if we used it as a trade-in and gave them what we got? I'm thinking not, but I'm not exactly a seasoned car buyer and have never traded a car in......

....also, dear cognoscenti..... does one get a better trade-in offer if one is laying out more $$$?

tia
Old 12-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #28
monster

hmm shoulda put all that in the car buying thread. oh well....
Old 12-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #29
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet View Post
Wicked1 Sitting on the floor drowning in a sea of Christmas wrapping paper and ribbons, glass of red next to me and Woody Allen film 'Vicky Christina Barcelona' on TV. Oh and I have chocolate mints. Wicked
I love Penelope Cruz in that movie. She's so dynamic! What did you think?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote