The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 03-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #2221
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Of course you wanted these as well... you old white educated urban, you:

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #2222
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It just stands to reason, if they don't agree with my political philosophy they are morons of such low IQ it would be a waste of time talking with them as they have nothing to teach me.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #2223
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm curious to see how those maps would change depending on who happens to be President in a given year. My guess is that whichever party is out-of-power will be angrier, and anger leads to greater caricature and "othering."

I also find it interesting how many "most" and "least" counties are right next to each other, even far away from the obvious urban/suburban divides. Seems like a small change puts you at the other end of the sample.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #2224
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The Atlantic piece suggests that is true; in the 2014 Pew survey, Republicans were less tolerant, and today Democrats are less tolerant.

There is also apparently an Economist chart showing how polarization is still growing, as part of the Ds shift further left (a move not all Ds are comfy with and may lead to a realignment IMO).
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #2225
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A timeline of the band Free:

Name:  freechart.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  58.0 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #2226
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Keep in mind this is not the national debt, this is the yearly deficit added to the debt.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2019, 06:49 AM   #2227
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

There is also apparently an Economist chart showing how polarization is still growing, as part of the Ds shift further left (a move not all Ds are comfy with and may lead to a realignment IMO).
I think this is possible. The Dems have been a center right party cloaked in identity politics since Clinton. This seems to have gutted the Republicans of non-religious moderates and also gave left wingers nowhere to go. May you live in interesting times.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #2228
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But then a shitload of science is financed through DARPA and I'm not sure where that money would show up... if at all.
DARPA starts a company, then that company spins off another, then an existing DARPA startup morphs into something else, then THAT company develops it's "purpose", then creates something a bit different but with a similar theme, and on and on and on...

DARPA---Google---LifeLog---FaceBook---YouTube---Twitter---23andMe---The Brain Initiative---AncestoryDotCom---LinkedIn

All taking every aspect of your life and placing it in a life log. Individually they seem cool enough. Take a step back and maybe not as much so.

Data from every aspect of your life being collected. And shared. For one great big file about YOU ( and me ).

No, that's not disturbing. They are all working for my best interests.

And so much of it starts with DARPA.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #2229
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What are you afraid of?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #2230
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
What are you afraid of?
I'm nervous about these things. I don't trust them. Despite all "safe guards" we rarely truly understand what is really going on behind the scenes. Do you? I respectfully suggest that not you or anyone that isn't in their staff meetings doesn't.

BIGs. Big government, big tech, big medical, big anything. Big policy, big control, big legal.

Especially centralized BIGs.

I trust you as a friend far more than a corporation or government agency.

You don't have the power of those but I can trust you more.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #2231
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Trust no one.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #2232
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Trust no one.
Do you really want to live in a world where you can't trust anybody not to tell everybody where the bodies are buried?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #2233
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I live in this world you describe. Want doesn't enter into it.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #2234
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't forget to shovel the roof...
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #2235
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

DARPA didn't start Google or any those companies that' I'm aware. Links?

Quote:
I'm nervous about these things. I don't trust them.
I went through a long time where I didn't trust -- but after 25 years of that, I noticed that 100% of my fears never occurred. They were just conspiracy theories in my own mind. I dropped it all, and I am happier for it.

Back in the day - the late 80s/90s - we believed that if we got a supermarket club card, the supermarkets would collect our data and sell it to insurance companies, who would then apply that data to figure out who had/were going to have health issues, and raise our rates.

People were busy doing things like working out fake phone numbers and names and whatnot so they could keep using the club cards

Huge, almost viral fear. Problem is, it never happened. I have never even heard of anything bad happening with club card data. Not once, and I worked IT for a supermarket with club cards.

Now I'm past middle age and I do not recall ANY similar fear coming to fruition. Nothing has happened to me or anyone I know. I await evidence; I do not believe anything without evidence. Until then, my real data is on all my club cards; I gleefully use my real name on everything; and I do not engage in one moment of worry about it.