The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

November 9, 2007: Hitler Pub

Who's the gent in this picture?

No, it's poet John Masefield, who also happened to sport a stylish toothbrush mustache (very popular in their day!) But according to Ananova, the pub intending to honor him is considering changing the sign, because of the undeniable resemblance. It hasn't even had its grand opening yet, but locals are already calling the pub "The Adolf."

Quote:
Manager Seanie Walsh, 55, said: "We must admit he does look a bit like Hitler on the sign, but that didn't occur to us until after we put it up. We've got lots of pictures of John Masefield inside from different stages of his life and we hope people come down and learn more about him while having a drink."
Personally, I don't think it looks that much like the Fuhrer. Those eyes just don't have that mass genocide look to them.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Yes, he appears much more peaceful. His hair is nicer, too.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Coign
Wanted Driver

Godwin's Law!

I win!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It barely looks like Hitler. But I could see how either way it might be bad for business.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

On the otherhand it is a Wetherspoons and they are the spawn of the devil so maybe it's pretty apt to call it the Hitler pub?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Looks like Adolf on a heavy dose of valium.

Which might have done him some good, come to think of it.

Ohhh all this free publicity, the manager must be soooo upset.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
DanaC

Hmm...I'm guessing he's not happy at that particular kind of publicity. What you really don't want as a publican is for your pub to become a known BNP haunt where more respectable clientele won't venture.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Hmm...I'm guessing he's not happy at that particular kind of publicity. What you really don't want as a publican is for your pub to become a known BNP haunt where more respectable clientele won't venture.
What is a "BNP haunt" and how does that make a pub un-respectable? I don't get it...

And what is a "Wetherspoons", is that a chain?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What really bugs me is how, after Hitler, nobody could ever again wear that mustache. Now we have every permutation of facial hair possible, but nobody will go for that tight crop thingie.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
What really bugs me is how, after Hitler, nobody could ever again wear that mustache. Now we have every permutation of facial hair possible, but nobody will go for that tight crop thingie.
Well there was a time that the Army use to make us crop them short. They, by reg, could not extend in any way past the edge of your mouth and had to be vertical on that edge. On a number of people they looked very Hitlereske. On the other hand I always bucked the system a little bit.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
DanaC

Quote:
What is a "BNP haunt" and how does that make a pub un-respectable? I don't get it...

Ack, sorry. Thought I'd mentioned BNP on here enough most people are aware (and sick of hearing about ::P) them.

British National Party. The 'respectable' face of skin-head-type fascism. Their leadership have been trying to make them (and in some places succeeding)in making them) electable by, for example, sending out an instruction that members please refrain from doing muted heil hitler salutes to each other when they meet up. Doesn't play well with the grandad vote:P

The ones that stand for election usually at least look vaguely respectable. Except when they go to conference at which point there's usually at least one senior party guy gets fired/moved/sanctioned for getting into a punch up.

They also have a 'paramilitary' wing. Combat 18. (1 = A for adolf, 8 = H for hitler. Used to be Combat 88 for Heil Hitler). Many of the BNP rallies are to raise funds to assist the wives and families of activists who are serving time for racially motivated crimes, or beating up the rival partys' activists :P Pleasant bunch. I've had a few scary encounters with them.

Wetherspoons is a chain of pubs. They all have different names and signage...they may even have individual decor (though most are very similar inside). They all have the same menu of food.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
Tink
Why oh why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post

I was wondering the same thing. Wetherspoons is a big pub chain. DanaC, what makes 'em not the place to be? I like a good London pub crawl when there.

Oops...got in late. Thanks for the info!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
DanaC

I like a little more individual flavour to a pub. Although, there's something very pleasant and easy about a Wetherspoons. Slowly, quietly in a very English way, a small number of pub chains is smoothing out the wrinkles and edges from pub culture; just smoothing them away like water on rock.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
Tink
Why oh why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post

British National Party. ... ... sending out an instruction that members please refrain from doing muted heil hitler salutes to each other when they meet up.

They also have a 'paramilitary' wing. Combat 18. (1 = A for adolf, 8 = H for hitler. Used to be Combat 88 for Heil Hitler). Many of the BNP rallies are to raise funds to assist the wives and families of activists who are serving time for racially motivated crimes, or beating up the rival partys' activists :P Pleasant bunch. I've had a few scary encounters with them.
Nice lesson. Dang me! Doesn't sound like folks I'd be to keen to be around. Big problem are they?
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
TheMercenary

Thanks Dana.