The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 03-16-2002, 12:08 PM   #1
dave

3/16 Extra: Big Sandcastle

Here we have a nice big sandcastle. It's definitely been sculpted very well. Don't you think it's nice?

These people seem very happy with it. It just reminds me how different we are. I don't recall American kids making snowmen of blown up Iraqis or Palestinians...
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2002, 12:33 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: 3/16 Extra: Big Sandcastle

Well, it IS pretty well done.

We can only try to empathize with people like this. Something that most people here would find horrible brings (apparent) satisfaction to others.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 03-16-2002 at 02:03 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:43 PM   #3
sapienza
Resident Denizen

Any idea where this is? Just simply judging by the headgear I'd probably say India, but I'm not sure.

sapienza
sapienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by sapienza
Any idea where this is? Just simply judging by the headgear I'd probably say India, but I'm not sure.
I thought India myself when I saw the woman on the left hand side of the pic. However, I would suspect it to be Pakistan more than India. I haven't seen any backlash against the US from India...with the exception of that shootout in Calcutta? (I don't remember.) I checked rotten.com, but they don't give a location.
Old 03-16-2002, 06:51 PM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Re: 3/16 Extra: Big Sandcastle

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

These people seem very happy with it. It just reminds me how different we are. I don't recall American kids making snowmen of blown up Iraqis or Palestinians...
While presented that way, that's a very tempting first-take, I'm not totally convinced that this was intended in a mocking way. Obviously a lot of labor went into it, and it may have been intended as a memorial or observance.

While sand isn't really an enduring medium, not everybody in India is in a position to be able to afford marble or something. After all, there's already two volumes of the 9-11 "comic art" book published in that paperback "graphic novel" format, and it is full of very serious and in some cases very deeply moving work.

And right now, Indians (and these folks do look like Hindus to me) have no more reason to be fond of Moslem extremists than New Yorkers do.

OK...now after a little websearching (looking for "sand sculpture" rather than "sand castle"), on intellectualoutcastscafe.com, we find the same image is displayed with the caption: <i>Passersby stop to look at a sand sculpture by artist Sudarshan Patnaik depicting the September 11 World Trade Centre attack. The sand sculpture display is a part of the ongoing Puri Beach Festival on India's Bay of Bengal.</i>

Puts a very different spin on it, I think.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #6
elSicomoro

Perhaps. I personally find it a bit disturbing due to the graphic detail. I couldn't find any information on the sculptor.

Thanks for the link Maggie. The debate there looks lively...and it's vbulletin too.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 03-17-2002 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:30 AM   #7
Torrere
a real smartass

Is anyone else disturbed by the man in the purple turban? (far right).

Everybody else is solemn or respectful or admiring the sculpture. The guy in the purple turban, however, is smirking at the camera.

Annoys the hell out of me. I laugh every time I see him.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:36 AM   #8
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
Everybody else is solemn or respectful or admiring the sculpture. The guy in the purple turban, however, is smirking at the camera.
Maybe he farted. After all, he's grinning while everyone else on that side looks irritated.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:04 AM   #9
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

I like it. They had a bit on NPR about a young kid who goes to school in NY and how he dealed with the attack there in NY. The kid really loved the Twin Towers and was looking forward to visiting them. He will never get that chance now. His mother said that to deal with the horror the child kept drawing pictures of the wtc. She did not stop him from drawin because she believed it was good thing.

I see this sand sculpture as the artist's way of dealing with it. Also there is an "eastern" aspect to building the sculpture out of sand. There are certain styles of art where there is tremendous effort put in making the piece, but they only use non-permanent media, like sand, not marble. It's almost like sidewalk chalk art or proper graffiti, you know it will be washed away or covered up but it goes with the turf.

And the guy in the purple headdress is not smiling, but simply the design of his facial hair makes it seem that way.
Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:35 AM   #10
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Slight
And the guy in the purple headdress is not smiling, but simply the design of his facial hair makes it seem that way.
Good point, but...*blows pic up on his scanner*...he does appear to have a slight smile on his face.

I'm sticking with my original conclusion.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:11 AM   #11
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

Quote:
I'm sticking with my original conclusion.
Hey, I never said he didn't. I just don't think he is smiling. =)
Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:16 PM   #12
Torrere
a real smartass

He IS smiling, although it probably does have a lot to do with the beard/mustache.

He's still looking at the camera. and smirking.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 05:58 PM   #13
Bitman
cellar smellar

When did Flash Gordon crash into the WTC? Wait, there's only one tower .. where's that sposed to be again?

I'm sorry, but that's really a rather comic rendition of the jet, all fat and round like a Baby's First Stuffed Airplane, or like a Flash Gordon space rocket. And it's parked in the tower, rather than crashed into it. It's hard to take this sculpture seriously, regardless of the topic.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 06:49 PM   #14
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitman

I'm sorry, but that's really a rather comic rendition of the jet....
Sand sculpture is a very tricky medium. Remeber you're looking at the efforts of one, time-constrained individual.

I remeber watching the some of the construction of a *huge* sand scupture at Liberty Place back in 1999...they used 60 tons of sand, worked by a sizable crew of sculptors and the results were amazing:

A close up of the part depicting the Philly Zoo...
http://www.gophila.com/photos/images/large/IMG0117.jpg

An overall shot, which doesn't do it justice...
http://images.citysearch.com/feature/10768/92.gif

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:38 PM   #15
chrisinhouston
Professor

What about that guy?

I want to know about the guy just to the right of the tail of the plane in the back row. Looks anglo, like he was just walking along and checking out the nifty sand castle. As David Lettermand would say, "What about that guy?!?"
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote