The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

December 28, 2007: Spanish Carving

This is the dude.
Quote:
Ieronimus is the Latin name of Don Jerķnimo de Perigueux (1060? -1120), one of the most famous Spanish bishops of French origin and was a key figure in the Reconquest of Spain; he was also the chaplain of El Cid Campeador and bishop of Valencia; he was named bishop of Salamanca when the Diocese was restored in 1102, in the times of its Christian repopulation made by the Count Raimundo de Borgoņa and doņa Urraca.
Heavy, huh?

This is the cathedral he had built in 1102 AD. Well actually it was started in 1102, but it took a couple hundred years to build. That's understandable seeing all the intricate stone carving on the facade.

Hey, wait a minute. How come a church built in the 12th/13th centuries, has a carving of a NASA Astronaut?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Hey, wait a minute. How come a church built in the 12th/13th centuries, has a carving of a NASA Astronaut?
To use one of your world famous quotes, "Damifino."
Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

At first I thought it might be a pioneer deep sea diver, but they sure look like moon boots to me.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Rusty Mail
Recruit or Something

I'd say it's shopped. I can can see artifacts around the suit, and carvings have a higher contrast than the suit.
Rusty Mail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
LJ
i am myself

yeah.....wow... wouldnt we have hear about that before if it were real? did you check snopes? i looked briefly.....but didnt get any hits.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whoops, it seems that carving is on the New Cathedral, which is adjacent to and built to shore up, the Old Cathedral. The New Cathedral wasn't started until about 1550 AD, and took a couple hundred years also.
But the fact remains, that Astronaut was carved before the American revolution, at the latest.

Look here.

Or here

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 12-29-2007 at 12:00 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
LJ
i am myself

so....time travel? the true vision of a psychic sculptor? both of which seem more likely than coincidence.

anyway....i like it. but then, sometimes, i think we came from off world. and started anew along side the neanderthals......

good pic. bruce
Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
tulzscha
Cantankerous Incantonator

To quote one of Bruce's links:

"Probably just a modern addition by the mischievous restoration team."

Seconded, with Occam's-razory emphasis. 'Cuz it's unambiguously an astronaut, and there ain't no such thing as time travel. It's also definitely in much newer stone, you can see the weathering of the block directly above it...
tulzscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
fdisk
Kinda New Member

http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Dest...tm?Language=en

Visiting the Cathedral becomes a game for all the family with the "Ieronimus" exhibition. You can explore every corner of the building and go to the top of the medieval tower to enjoy stunning views of the city. Once on the ground again, there is more fun to be had at the Puerta de Ramos doorway: look for the modern figures that restorers introduced in the lower part to replace statues that were in bad condition. To pass the test you have to find a stork, an astronaut and a monkey eating an ice cream.
fdisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ah, so that's where it came from.

Welcome to the Cellar, Fdisk.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Grismar
Viewer of the Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Mail View Post
I'd say it's shopped. I can can see artifacts around the suit, and carvings have a higher contrast than the suit.
I love these comments. They put most of the "it's shopped, I'm certain" posts in threads that don't get resolved as conclusively as this one into proper perspective.

Besides, just seeing artifacts doesn't mean it's shopped of course. Could just be a shabby case of jpeg optimization or even just mistaking shadows for something else. (face on mars, anyone?)

Greetings, Grismar.
Grismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Ibby
erika

either way, I'm not gonna go find it for you this time.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
jano
Questionist

My wife is from Germany. I have been to the Big church in Cologne several times. It is still a work in progress. I have seen workmen replace the carvings and clean them. They do not last forever especially in that part of the world. Heat, cold, rain, snow, erode the carvings over time and they need to be replaced.
jano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Jano.

I didn't know those small carvings could be removed, like the big Gargoyles and statues.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grismar View Post

Besides, just seeing artifacts doesn't mean it's shopped of course. Could just be a shabby case of jpeg optimization or even just mistaking shadows for something else. (face on mars, anyone?)
Right you are. It's almost impossible to find a photo on the web that hasn't be altered/resized/compressed, in some way.