The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

FCC eliminates all Morse Code testing for amateur radio licensing

Not sure if there's anybody who cares who doesn't already know, but the FCC will be eliminating all Morse code testing for amateur radio licening by the end of February. They had previously reduced the requirement to a demonstrated ability to receive at a rate of five words per minute in order to be granted privileges to operate in bands allocated to the amateur rado service below 30 MHz (commonly referred to as "HF" as opposed to "VHF" and "UHF").

Now even that relatively modest requirement has been eliminated.

More info here.

(Folks interested in information about amateur radio or becoming an amateur radio operator are welcome to contact me; I hold an Extra Class licence and am an ARRL VEC Volunteer Examiner.)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I take it you think that this is not necessarily a good thing? 'Cause I agree with you, if so.

Morse may not be necessary anymore what with all the advancements in communications, but I think that the commitment shown to master it, even at the rate of five words per minute, shows a certain dedication and respect for the airwaves...
Old 02-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Cloud

like shorthand, it's a convenience language killed by . . . more convenient technology. I kind of like the idea that it will be preserved by hobbiests and enthusiasts, like a dead language.

But who will understand me when I tap SOS when I'm trapped in a mine shaft?
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
milkfish
A serene breakdown

I'm hoping there will be someone who still understands code in the event that I suffer a spinal cord injury which allows me to move nothing but my eyelids. Otherwise it'll be awful lonesome.

KD3YR
Old 02-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
rkzenrage

S-a bad idea, IMO.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Cloud

or, who will understand me when I'm tied to the bed and abandoned in a lonely hotel room, and all I can do is knock the bed against the wall?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
rkzenrage

I don't need to hear that dude, you and your crispy sock need to have your alone time alone.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
Cloud

are you talking to me? (confused)

'cause if you are, I believe you are suffering from gender confusion. Not to mention excessive perviness.

I hear there's medication you can take for that, now.

(where's my pill bottle)
Old 02-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
or, who will understand me when I'm tied to the bed and abandoned in a lonely hotel room, and all I can do is knock the bed against the wall?
Therefore your entire message must be composed only of letters E I S H and 5. "Eish". What kind of message is that?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
Cloud

it's a secret code, of course!

er . . .

what makes you think I can't make the bed do dashes?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Cloud

okay, I must confess, I'm not really all that knowledgeable about Morse Code. How DO you do dashes anyway?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #12
milkfish
A serene breakdown

There is some ambiguity when trying to use the code with taps instead of tones. For instance, "A" is a short followed by a long, while "I" is two shorts. If all I hear is two closely spaced taps, I cannot tell which one was intended. If some other character follows, however, this helps break the ambiguity because one can hear whether there is a long or a short gap after the second tap.

With tones there isn't this problem, because the trailing edge of the tone carries information.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

When tapping, don't most people simply increase the silence between the taps to indicated a dash? In other words, tap slower? In other words, Cloud, decreasing the frequency of thrusts, thus decreasing the frequency of the headboard banging into the wall, will produce a dash.

Try this: thrustthrustthrust thrust thrust thrust thrustthrustthrust.

That oughta get you rescued. Although why you'd want to be is beyond me.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
I take it you think that this is not necessarily a good thing? 'Cause I agree with you, if so.

Morse may not be necessary anymore what with all the advancements in communications, but I think that the commitment shown to master it, even at the rate of five words per minute, shows a certain dedication and respect for the airwaves...
It clearly shows a certain something. But current behavior on parts of the 75 meter phone band (which until now had required 5 wpm code to license) doesn't convince me that those ops have "respect for the airwaves". Take a listen some evening.

I'd be more impressed with stiffening the technical questions on the more advanced exams.

Beyond not being necessary, today Morse is not even used by anyone other than radio amateurs. The only other use of it I'm aware of is identifying unattended stations like repeaters and navigation beacons...most of whom also use recorded voice announcements for the same function.

I don't regret learning it, and I'm hoping to improve my skill with it. It is unquestionably useful in certain circumstances. But I don't think it makes sense as a licensing requirement in the 21st century.

No other operating mode, from PSK-31 to Hellschriber, seems to need "affirmative action" in the licenesing process to prosper. And the countries that have already removed the requirement have actually seen an increase in CW (Morse) operation.

Last edited by MaggieL; 02-05-2007 at 11:10 AM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

.-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- / - .... .- - .----. ... / .--- ..- ... - / .- / -... ..- -. -.-. .... / --- ..-. / -.-. .-. .- .--. .-.-.-!