2. Energy.
3. Transfer economy reducing to War.
4. Others.

Now I don't know why the war broke out.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:07 AM   #2
juju
no one of consequence

This is what we've been debating here for a long time. Bush says that he attacked Iraq because they have "Weapons of Mass Destruction". Whether he's telling the truth is anybody's guess.

Some Americans believe that Bush attacked Iraq because he wants their oil. Some believe he attacked Iraq because they helped the terrorists, and some say it is because they had "Weapons of Mass Destruction". In truth, though, only Bush and his administration really know the reasons for what they're doing.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:13 AM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

Also, because of the fear of terrorism, Americans who criticize Bush are often accused of being "unpatriotic". Some feel that we should follow him unquestioningly, because he's our leader.

Most people here on The Cellar think this is really stupid, but in America the belief is very widespread.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:27 AM   #4
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Juju

I don't know how widespread that idea really is. Most of the flesh and blood people i know hold to their beliefs (on either side) for good reasons. They don't blindly support war because their president said so any more than they are opposed to war because Martin Sheen said so.

I've never heard anyone called "unpatriotic" for disagreeing with Bush. I've never heard anyone say that blind obiescence to the president is one of the obligations of being a good american.

Truth is, the only place I hear these things is from the people claiming that they are being repressed. It seems like a defense against an attack that was never, or very seldom, made.
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:49 AM   #5
Billy
Professor

History will give one answer

Now we can not give answer. Maybe the history would give us.

Whatever it was, I hope he will not attacked other country again.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:02 AM   #6
ScottSolomon
Coronation Incarnate

Location: On the skin of a tiny planet in an obscure galaxy in a lackluster corner of the universe.
smoothmoniker - tell that to the Dixie Chicks.

There are a large group of peoplr that get their news primarily from FAUX News, MSNBC, and CNN. These people feel that they are very wellinformed and they base their decisions upon the informaiton and the spin presented within those networks. People don't think that they have been propagandized, because the channel that was pushing the propaganda kept caliming to be "fair and balanced". There are also millions of country music listeners, Rush listeners, Dr. Laura listeners, and O'Reailly listeners that hear an endless onslaught of Republican spin - and digest it as relevant news.

This creates the impression that one is well informed while still maintainting the veil of ignorance that allows the administration to mold public opinion.

Bertrand Russell

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell
ScottSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:35 AM   #7
dave

I find it humorous that you imply O'Reilly is a Republican propagandist when the truth is that he's probably one of the more liberal people on TV these days.

My guess is that you don't like him because he's honest, be it in his attacks on Republicans or Democrats or just some regular idiots. The truth hurts.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:36 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Re: what goal is Bush Iraq War?

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy
1. Pass Iraq heavy Weapon away.
2. Energy.
3. Transfer economy reducing to War.
4. Others.

Now I don't know why the war broke out.
Some folks think its part of a wider geopolitical program to keep China or the EU from challenging America's global dominance by assuring US control over cheap energy.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
This creates the impression that one is well informed while still maintainting the veil of ignorance that allows the administration to mold public opinion.
Whoa, dude! You're starting to sound like Radar.
Do you really feel that the people that don't agree with you, don't because they are uninformed? Ignorant of the truth? Molded by the administration? Do you feel it's impossible for someone to have all the information you do and still be diametrically opposed to your position?
If so, you're in for a rude one.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
Billy
Professor

Guess causes

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Some folks think its part of a wider geopolitical program to keep China or the EU from challenging America's global dominance by assuring US control over cheap energy.
I think it is not a simple problem to analyze. There are many aspects to think about. The US really want to dominate the world, but they need one "cause". Now we are guessing the real causes.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:19 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The US really want to dominate the world, but they need one "cause". Now we are guessing the real causes.
Billy, are you a Chinese government agent trying to influence the USA over the internet?
Just joking Billy, but you could. There's a lot to be said for one on one communication. I don't know you. I only know what you've told me about yourself. But, I feel what you say is more important than what the news media tells me that "The Chinese feel" about the current events.
I wonder if you get a different impression of how Americans think, from the Cellar, than you from the media?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:18 PM   #12
Billy
Professor

The Cellar members are kindful like America

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Billy, are you a Chinese government agent trying to influence the USA over the internet?
In fact I often complain my government in China. I hope the government improve diaphaneity. Don't seal too many realities to the public. We have right to know the truths.

But here I want to told you a real China. It is not so beautiful that every one have a best life and not so poor that every one have a worst life. We have poor and rich people in the same time.

I just want to show my ponts, don't care if you receive my views. You have your views.

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I wonder if you get a different impression of how Americans think, from the Cellar, than you from the media?
From Cellar I feel that not all the USA people hope to have war with other tountry like Bush. You are all kindful to help me. Day by day I can know a real America.

Now I am preparing for the GRE/GMAT/TOEFL tests because I really want go abroad to study in North America. I can find differences from different experiences. I just see China and don't know the real world if I saty in China for one life. The communication make me learn more new knowledge.

Last edited by Billy; 05-08-2003 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:25 AM   #13
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

i know most people here are smarter than the average bear, but I figured some of us might be able to use this

carry on.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:06 PM   #14
Torrere
a real smartass

Wow. I just assumed that it wasn't a word.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:37 PM   #15
Billy
Professor

Maybe I am wrong

I want to say that the govnernment work in the public supervising. Open to the public.

Last edited by Billy; 05-08-2003 at 08:58 PM.