The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

October 7th, 2015: Ponyhenge

Quote:
In the town of Lincoln, in the US state of Massachusetts, off Old Sudbury Road, is a patch of deserted farmland where people keep
mysteriously leaving old rocking horses. Some are made of wood, some plastic with rusted springs and broken legs. The first horse
is believed to have appeared in 2010, when two kids put up a lemonade stand to make a quick buck in the summer. The kids went
away but left the horses behind. Others say that it started with a single headless horseman that was put up as part of a Halloween show.
In any case, the first horse began attracting others and the collection grew. By the most recent count, there were 42.

Quote:
Strange enough, the herd keep changing position frequently and unexpectedly, but who moves them is a mystery.
During the Kentucky Derby, someone placed the horses in rows as if they were racing.
At Christmas time, they are wrapped in holiday lights. Once, they were arranged in a circle as if it’s a carousel.
The rocking horses have become a local attraction of some sort. Drivers would pull over to take pictures with the horses.
Some people have started calling them “Ponyhenge”.

Aren't the adorable? Maybe in bright sunlight they are only creepy.
But when it's dark, the Owl hoots softly to a sallow Moon, the creatures of the forest scurry for cover, because they've witnessed the horror.
When the ears twitch, the eyes flash crimson, and blood drips from their muzzles, the night is not safe for the warm blooded, great or small.
link
Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm scared.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/138...ivorous-horses

BE VERY AFRAID

A quote from the article (haven't read the first yet):
Meat foods mentioned included hot dogs, hamburgers, steak, bologna, ham, fried chicken, or buffalo wings--eaten from the hand or from the tailgate just as if they were apples. Unusual meaty food items included were spaghetti with meat sauce, chicken livers from the trash, whole raw eggs in the shell, meat-based dry dog food, and an entire family Thanksgiving dinner of turkey and trimmings. (Not everyone adequately explained the circumstances, and I am left wondering how that one could happen.)

My mom's last horse was a vicious murderer...of mice that came sneaking into HIS barn to steal HIS grain. No word of him ever eating a mouse, but the last summer he was alive while I was there to visit I did find a very flat mouse in a fresh, deep hoofprint! The chickens got away with thieving fallen grains, but only because by the time they figured out there was free food the horse had ringbone (a cripplingly painful & incurable bone issue near the hoof) in his forelegs and arthritis in his hind and couldn't catch a chicken before they'd fly over a fence.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Snakeadelic
Banned

Also, I'm coming to realize that everything I've encountered or read about that has to do with Massachusetts has not worked out well. Boston, where it's illegal to accidentally photograph a cop and REALLY illegal to do it deliberately. Fall River is of particular interest, being the hometown of both Lizzie Borden and the dumbest athletic equipment manufacturer I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. Now, PonyHenge. The terror will only grow...
Old 10-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Being as MA native, let me tell you, that ain't the half of it. From Salem Witch Trials, and The Deerfield Massacre, to Governor Romney and this. MA has a long bloody history of unnerving incidents great and small. On a positive note, the natives breathed a sign of relief when I left.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Aren't the adorable? Maybe in bright sunlight they are only creepy.
But when it's dark, the Owl hoots softly to a sallow Moon, the creatures of the forest scurry for cover, because they've witnessed the horror.
When the ears twitch, the eyes flash crimson, and blood drips from their muzzles, the night is not safe for the warm blooded, great or small.
It kinda turns me on when you write as crazy as me.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Like I said.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Snakeadelic
Banned

Bruce, you are the master of finding awesome background info! Lest you feel picked on, I should make it clear that I reserve a special level of loathing for my own birthplace (which is 3 mountain ranges away, a detail I find very happy) as well.

Attached (hopefully) should be a screen cap of my very favorite screen-capped 'ask the internet and pray 4chan doesn't answer' question. I'm sure they meant "octagon", but I still have a matching answer: an Oregon has two sides, and INside is the wrong one for me!
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Picked on? Nope, all comments are accepted with the grace and aplomb expected from a cantankerous old fart.
Seriously, feedback is interesting in any and all forms. It's food for thought, and I loves me some food, so have at it.