The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

A Renaissance of Wonder

“We need a renaissance of wonder. We need to renew, in our hearts and in our souls, the deathless dream, the eternal poetry, the perennial sense that life is miracle and magic.”

-- E. Merrill Root
Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

truly
Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
SamIam

I think most of us remain too caught up in the day to day to spend much time on the eternal dream. The sense that life is miracle and magic seems to be the provenance of Tibetan monks and other religous folks. That said, I did have an amazing experience once of the miracle and magic of life. It lasted about 4 days and then, alas, vanished. And no I was not high on chemicals on the time.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

I try to acknowledge the miracle of existence daily. Sometimes I can temporarily embrace it more fully as in meditation or in an experience of nature, but even if I can just perceive a hint of it behind the curtain I can be grateful.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Beautiful smooth!
I have been enlightened beyond my wildest dreams to the splendor of the miracle of life. The last 6 months have taught me what is really important and opened my eyes to how much good can come from a horrifically life altering event.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I saw a blue heron pass over my head the other day while I was picking up the mail. I love nature anyway but because circumstances could be better for me I tempted to think it could be a good omen or a sign of good luck.

I know it is not really but as I pondered my inclination to even go there and after reading this thread title I was asking myself if the ability to wonder at the beauty of nature is either hindered or helped by either desperate times or times of abundance.

At first I thought perhaps I appreciated the site of the great blue heron more so during these dull times because I need to grasp on to something to give me hope;then I thought no I would probably have appreciated the grace of the blue heron in that pure state of wonder without shrouding it in superstition and symbolism if circumstances were better.

I am still wanting to hock my sense of wonder for an idol of the moment. The renaissance of wonder obliterated by immediate need.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Looking at the Hubble pictures, or images from a microscope, even pondering the natural order of things, can bring that wonder to the forefront. But the intrusion of the doorbell, phone, or realizing you're in the oncoming lane, tends to demand immediate and full attention. Our biggest problem is those attention demanding moments, are coming closer together.

We've all... even us old farts... grown up during a time of exploding scientific discovery, and dissemination. Which means the average Jr High School kid knows more than a Baccalaureate of 100 years ago. I think that's numbed us, somewhat, to just how fucking incredible the world around us is. I was thinking, when reading about Jinx's home schooling field trips, how lucky she is to be re-exposed herself, to the wonders of simple things like tadpoles.

When Grandpa was traveling 10 miles by horse, or spending hours cutting hay with a scythe, he was free to let his mind go where it would. Most of us don't have that luxury today, but we've ourselves to blame for using the time we do have, worrying about what might not happen. Paying interest on money we didn't borrow.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

You know how U2 was so great when their songs were about searching/yearning for something, and then when they thought they had it all figured out--they started sucking? That's the same thing that's wrong with everybody else that is locked into a "correct" but with severely limited view.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, same thing led to, "I'm just a singer in a rock & roll band"... implying, figure it out for yourself, folks, don't blindly accept someone else's ideas.

At least after High School, where you have to or flunk the tests.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
SamIam

I was reading a book by Viktor E. Frankl who survived several years in the German death camps. One passage really touched me. Frankl, along with the other prisoners was turned out at dawn for a work detail. The men were starving and many didn't have proper boots. While waiting for roll call, Frankl happened to glance up at the dawn sky. It was beautiful with streaks of orange, pink, red and blue. As he watched the spectacle, a wood thrush began to sing.

Frankl felt the deepest gratitude that he had been given this moment to help him go on,
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I have the privilege of experiencing the miracle and magic of life every day in my job. Often it is not such a happy experience and just as often it is. I admit to taking it for granted and developing certain callous blunt attitude about it. I need to work on that.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Thanks for the reminder Smooth.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I think most of us remain too caught up in the day to day to spend much time on the eternal dream. . . I did have an amazing experience once of the miracle and magic of life. It lasted about 4 days and then, alas, vanished.

Had something like that once myself -- a high-quality religious retreat known as Cursillo. Of WW2 Spanish Catholic origin, there's an Instructional Eucharist, sundry lectures/seminars, very large dinners, and all in all an awareness that it seems to pick the best of religious retreats and incorporate this quality stuff into theirs. Cursillistas also end up learning to sing De Colores and Las Mañanitas.

It too runs four days... and for a week and more thereafter, I woke in the morning smiling. That is not my usual wakeup face.

It is not vanished wholly from memory... it's about time to attend one of those afterwards-meetings, with a eucharist, that they call Grand Ultreyas again.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I had the opposite experience to you, UG. I went on a pilgrimage to Lourdes when i was 13 years old. Turned me into an atheist :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Had something like that once myself -- a high-quality religious retreat known as Cursillo. Of WW2 Spanish Catholic origin, there's an Instructional Eucharist, sundry lectures/seminars, very large dinners, and all in all an awareness that it seems to pick the best of religious retreats and incorporate this quality stuff into theirs. Cursillistas also end up learning to sing De Colores and Las Mañanitas.

It too runs four days... and for a week and more thereafter, I woke in the morning smiling. That is not my usual wakeup face.

It is not vanished wholly from memory... it's about time to attend one of those afterwards-meetings, with a eucharist, that they call Grand Ultreyas again.
OOOOooooo! I went on a Walk to Emmaus - three day Christian retreat for women. Was very cool. They used some brain washing techniques and I am very pliable and easily manipulated so it was a great experience for me!! I had a couple out-of-body experiences AND managed to ask for a highly unlikely sign and I got it!! (sign was not about Christ necessarily but God) and it was just excellent. Highly recommend.

Oh, we sang De Colores, too~! Was such fun!!!!! I also had an Emmaus name - which was Esther. I liked that.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote