The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Take THAT, bitch.

I understand some of you don't follow the gaming world and its little self-contained dramas as closely as I do, but a truly beautiful turn of events has occurred that everyone needs to know about.

See there's this high-publicity lawyer, Jack Thompson, whose main crusade is that video games make people violent, and he has almost completely limited himself to the litigation genre of suing game makers when angsty teens go out and murder people. Recently, he issued an "open challenge" to the game industry, that if anyone had the balls to make a game he had designed, he would give $10,000 to charity.

The "game" he designed involves a father whose son has been killed by a videogame-inspired teen, and now the father is out for revenge. The object of the game involves, among other things, killing, maiming, and "bludgeoning" game programmers, artists, game console executives, and Electronics Boutique and Gamestop employees. You get the idea. The assumption I guess being that we would be too afraid to make a game about killing videogame makers because in our hearts we know that then all the little zombies out there would start to aim at us. At the end of his challenge he says, "How about it, video game industry? I've got the check and you've got the tech. It's all a fantasy, right? No harm can come from such a game, right? Go ahead, video game moguls. Target yourselves as you target others. I dare you."

So, as might be expected from a group of people who A.) knows Jack Thompson's entire premise to be blatantly false, and B.) loves a good dare, within a few days a group of guys finished a pretty in-depth Half-Life mod out of his scenario. They included everything he demanded. All of a sudden, Jack Thompson renegged on his offer of $10,000 to charity, and began backpedaling about how clearly the whole thing was satire from the beginning.

So the Penny Arcade guys, who had been conversing back and forth with this guy since his ridiculous little stunt, decided to go ahead and donate the $10,000 for him. In his name. To a charity called the Entertainment Software Association --which is, you guessed it, created and run by game industry folks to raise money for various child-focused charity programs.

Booyah.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Goddamn moralists.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

LMAO!!

Gonna have to get m'self over to Penny Arcade's paypal button right away.

So he can understand (or at least pronounce satire), but he's selective about what qualifies. Uh-huh, I see. Blowhard.

With my sincere apologies to blowhards around the world.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 AM   #4
ashke
Don't look at me!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/gam...cs/110152.html

Latest news - Jack Thompson wants police to arrest Gabe and Tycho for donating money in his name.

Riiiight.
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

So, Clod, did you make an appearance in the game?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Heh. No, nobody cares about Sound Designers. Even though you can easily make something seem a lot more violent by whether you include bone crunching, extra squishy gore, tortured screaming...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
gonzo_4_life15
im just a hard working patriotic north american like urself

gamer

Damn that guy looks weird as hell, I remember when i played my first video game Monkey Island back in like 95 and it was just as good or better then most books ive read, now playing online games with real people and fairy tale games with close chances of being the character in the game or even book is fun but not as fun as when i look back on playing monkey island
gonzo_4_life15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
be-bop
Operations Operative

Ive recently got into games at the tender age of 48,my favorite at the moment is Brothers in Arms.
I like the first person shooters like Call of Duty but Ive never had the inclination to go out and actally kill Germans.I find them a great stress relief..
My wife thinks Ive reverted to childhood,but they never had graphics like that when I was a kid, shit I remember when Space Invaders was the big thing..
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #9
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-bop
Ive recently got into games at the tender age of 48
See the "how old is everyone thread" be-bop. You're just a youngster.

Cool name by the way.