The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 04-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #106
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
It is not the fault of the deer that the roads travel through their territory.

You believe deer should be killed you must also believe that when you travel where they live it is at your own risk and your choice of where you drive.

Blame mankind mari, not the deer.

I take not pitty either on those who hike, jog or what not through cougar territory and get attacked. Those made a choice, just as I do when we hike.
I beleive the deer population must be brought under control. I think the re-introduction of natural predators is the best way to do so. Its actually kinder to the deer to kill them with a hunter's bullet then have them die of starvation in the winter because the population has increased so enormously that they have exceeded the carrying capacity of their habitat.

You would have the people of western Colorado just pick up and move to Denver. Why should we? We have no choice but to drive down that one stretch of road. Its the only highway between Telluride where there are jobs and Norwood and Naturita/Nucla where people can afford to live. Your proposal that people just stay off the roads is ridiculous.

Cougar attacks on man are fairly rare and nothing compared to the carnage on the highways caused by deer. In all my years driving in Colorado, I have yet to see a group of courgars congregated round the other side of a curve and dash into the middle of the road and just stay there.

I spent 3 months camped alone in lion country and never had a single encounter with one. I used common sense and avoided running around on game trails at dawn or dusk - the times when cougars are most active. Adults who bike or jog in lion country at dusk are asking for it, and I, too, have little sympathy for them.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #107
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
Armor Pierceing ammo ,

do you get that at your local "let's go kill innocent deer" store?

No you order it off of Cabellas web site ,

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...839&hasJS=true
Old 04-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #108
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I prefer the pricing at Cheaper than Dirt, personally.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #109
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:53 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #110
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

There's somewhat of a deer population issue around my house too. And I don't see any other means of overpopulation control than controlled hunting of *some* of the deer.
I'd rather have a hunter kill it and make some awesome jerkey than have a greater chance of another two deer running *into* the side of my car going 45 again..
there was fur stuck behind my liscence plate for 3 months.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #111
Cheyenne
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
There's somewhat of a deer population issue around my house too. And I don't see any other means of overpopulation control than controlled hunting of *some* of the deer.
I'd rather have a hunter kill it and make some awesome jerkey than have a greater chance of another two deer running *into* the side of my car going 45 again..
there was fur stuck behind my liscence plate for 3 months.
Ok, i concede, i shall take my hunting bow and start with Bambi. Hopefully they are not wearing any armour.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #112
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Page after page talking about... deer?

What about sheep?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #113
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Sheep are no fun.. they don't run as fast!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #114
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

What caliber was that Durango anyway, Bruce?

Here's a viewpoint: Man is an animal. Man is a predator. Therefore, we hunt, kill and eat wild game (to supplement our diet of domestic animals, and also to allow us to thin our own herd through hunting accidents). We are simply more efficient than most predators. We are also not as balanced, to our detriment.

If any other predator kills off its entire food source through overhunting, it dies out from starvation. Man has caused situations much more complex than simple overhunting of a single species (pollution, killing off predator species that kept a given prey species in balance, diseases borne by domestic stock, etc). Therefore, when Man has killed off every last living edible thing, Man will die out.

That'll learn us.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #115
W.HI.P
Free

We are the bad guys. The worst of all animals.
For those who disagree... name one that is worse.
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #116
marichiko

Blue green algae. They polluted earth's original nice CO2 atmosphere with O2 and THEN look what happened! Little fuckers!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #117
Elspode

No species is inherently good or bad. We are what we are. And what we all are is utterly insignificant on the planetary scale. *We* are the only ones who care if we exist or not. The planet could care less.

When we kill off entire species, we injure ourselves. We can feel sorry for them if we want to, but in the end, it is because of our own self interest that we would even think to judge our goodness or evil.

"To cause the extinction of an entire species is illogical." - Mr. Spock
Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #118
marichiko

Oh, heck, Patrick. the human species is already headed the way of the trilobite. We have soo polluted our environment, and we have exceeded the carrying capacity of our ecosystem (the earth), already. Look at the massive famines which take place on a regular basis in the third world. Look at the rapid deforestration happening everywhere, especially in the Amazon which is one of the greatest CO2 sinks in the world and also gives off the most O2 which we need to breathe. Its no longer a matter of "if" - only WHEN. Makes me glad I'll be outta here soon. The young 'uns can deal with the end of the human species.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #119
Elspode

If the Christian Right has its way, you won't need to worry about a slow and agonizing death for humanity due to ecosystem damage. They'll serve it up lickety split when they create Armageddon in their haste to fulfill Biblical prophecy.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #120
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Does that make Bush the antichrist?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote