The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #1126
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

none of you freaks and hippies read anything I do and I am wondering about that. is it YOU or is it ME?

It's you.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #1127
lookout123
changed his status to single

2012 A humorous way of telling me the world is about to end.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #1128
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I love historicals, gothic esp vampire novels.

I read Wicked for a lark. It started off good then the author just got lost. It was disappointing.
(edit- I'm sure Wicked's a great play though. I love the stage)

I just read Emma and Me which is totally nothing like I have ever read before.I don't like disturbed children stories. I have vowed never to read the book called,' A Child Called It' or anything like it. I'll take a good blood sucker book or Mary Queen of Scots or Russian royalty,ancient China ect.

Last edited by skysidhe; 04-22-2008 at 02:04 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #1129
monster
I hear them call the tide

http://www.dzancbooks.org/BLP/temporarypeople.html

it promises to be fantastic! I just got back from a launch reading and I can't wait to get stuck in. But i must at least until Saturday, otherwise the things I need to do won't get done.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #1130
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
audio books do not count!
DO SO! in fact, I get an added dynamic.....the narrator makes a huuuge difference in my enjoyment of the book(as evidenced in George RR Martin's Series that changed from the really excellent narrator of the first 4 books, to some one that was NOT excellent), and I have to pay attention cuz rereading a paragraph is a big pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
They count for Jim, because of the length of his commute.
What do you think LJ? I really enjoyed it, but I'm a big fan anyway.
I like the way Neil's stories flow. And the way his protagonists are always unassuming regular guys that make a big difference. This was a good one, too....you're right in London Below and don't want to come back out. I'm kind of torn on whether I liked this better than American Gods, because I think I might like it better just because i read it more recently...... In any event, I'd recommend him as an author that you can read regardless of title or topic. Orson Scott Card is like that. And so are Larry Niven and Poul Anderson.

...so, are you getting an idea for a new thread? too late.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #1131
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Egyptian Magic - E.A. Wallis Budge

Debating Calvinism - James White and Dave Hunt

1776 - David McCullough
(This is incredible, and could be a great Cellar Book Club Discussion Book. I'm only just finishing chapter 1, but wow. I don't remember history being this exciting in high school.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #1132
Cloud

I was underwhelmed by 1776 actually.

and audio books may count for entertainment, or even education, but not as reading.

Brianna: different strokes, ya know? the books we choose to read are highly personal.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #1133
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Cloud- 'twas joke.

Also, I like to name-call.

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 04-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #1134
Cloud

not name calling if'n it's the truth!

but I do think the choice of books is personal--can't tell you how many times people have recommended books to me as wonderful, and I can't get into them.

maybe it's just that I have to choose. a bit stubborn, ya know?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #1135
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was just wondering how so many of you guys here know about authors I've never heard of!! I feel very out of the loop here which is weird as I read nearly constantly (apologies to Dorothy Parker, Constant Reader column!)

Is it sci-fi/fantasy that you're all wild about? coz I hate that genre. too technical----I just want some hot sex in my book, ya know?

—James Barrie

Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #1136
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I undertstand what y'all are saying. I haven't even heard of most of the sci-fi authors, but that doesn't mean anything. I have tried to get into the fantasy/sci-fi books but it's not my cup of tea. I remember my friends raving about "A Wrinkle In Time" when I was young but I just couldn't get into it. It disappoints me, a little, that a whole genre(s) is out of reach to me. However, if the book were about hidden passages, haunted houses, witches who rode vacuum cleaners (The Wednesday Witch was a really funny kid's book) I liked it.

These days I prefer the slice of life type books (I mentioned this in another thread).

Then, I recommended Life of Pi to my brother. He's not a big reader, but I thought if I could just cajole him into reading until the "big event" or the "wtf" moment he would be hooked. He just couldn't make it that far, and I was like HUH? What is wrong with you?

Yes, to each his own. I always figure as long as someone reads something, anything, it's a good thing.

Edit: Hey, Bri!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #1137
Cloud

hmm. I am a lifelong SF and fantasy reader and fan. To a lesser extent, I also like romance, mystery, historical fiction, thrillers. I do read a lot of history and non-fiction, also, but for fiction--I don't like it to be too real. Present day, real drama--why would I want to read that? I live in the real world, I don't necessarily want to read about it.

I want to be taken awaaaaaaay!

. . . wait. that didn't come out right!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #1138
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hey, Shawnee! I went to Glenn Helen yesterday! 'Twas brillig!!!

<---'tis favorite smilie now

—James Barrie

Old 04-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #1139
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Beautiful area. Haven't been for years. I wonder what will happen to the Antioch campus? Let's buy it and start our own school!

I love Yellow Springs! It's like the Key West of Ohio.

@ Cloud: I get that. I do like to be taken away, too. But, I have this obsession with human feelings, emotions, reactions, and the like, though. I am touched by reading about real people: screwing up, wanting acceptance, loving, learning, screwing up, feeling happy, sad, screwing up. It' s more about the depths of the writing and the words that pull me in. For instance, The Glass Castle was a brilliant memoir. That certainly was real life, but nothing at all like my life!

Last edited by Shawnee123; 04-23-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #1140
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Is it sci-fi/fantasy that you're all wild about? coz I hate that genre. too technical----I just want some hot sex in my book, ya know?
Philip Jose Farmer - Flesh

Not terribly easy to find, but a classic.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books