The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: Is being gay morally wrong?
Yes 6 11.76%
No 42 82.35%
Depends 0 0%
Other 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Oh, so you're bi, aren't ya, Ibram?
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #17
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if humans were a little bit bisexual in nature.

History and the present back this view up well. Egypt, Greece, and I'm sure many other ancient cultures were entirely accepting and even encouraging of bisexuality and right now we see a lot of bisexuality in girls since it is socially acceptable. If it was socially acceptable for males to be bisexuals, I would almost guarantee it would be just as common as what you see with girls.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
Cloud

It depends on the morals of people doing the judging. For some, I'm sure it is.

I don't trust other people's assertion of what is moral or right or wrong, nor do I much care. For me, if I chose to make such a judgment, no.

Make that a HELL NO!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #19
Drax
Banned

Nope.

Whether it's a choice or not, I don't know, but there's nothing wrong with being gay.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If it feels good, do it.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #21
monster
I hear them call the tide

Doesn't look like anyone who feels it is wants to chime in. case closed.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #22
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I think its an individual decision - its between them and their "whatever." To each his own, ya know?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #23
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Trying to define sexuality is like trying to define a color, or a flavor... You can't really, because the experience is unique to each and every one of us.

The same of "morality" in my opinion. Each of us has a very unique set of experiences that have defined who we are up until every point in our lives, until death. The longer we live, more experiences are added to the pile of things we weigh in making decisions. What we may have been for or against 5 years ago may be drastically different than now, or 5 years from now. Or even 5 days...

For example: my own sexuality. Many years ago, I would have said I was completely straight. Since then, I have had homosexual experiences, and in fact find both women and men sexually attractive. Those experiences, in addition to the fact that I am a lot less ignorant than I was 15 years ago (from both reading and talking to people about sex in general) has led me to scrap trying to define sexuality at all.

Who and what turns me on from day to day is always evolving. I am just (horny little ole) me.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
mac_tire_daingean
snow shovel sledding champion 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Trying to define sexuality is like trying to define a color, or a flavor... You can't really, because the experience is unique to each and every one of us.

The same of "morality" in my opinion. Each of us has a very unique set of experiences that have defined who we are up until every point in our lives, until death.
wow. Very well put, LabRat. I remember when I was 18 and had a completely different viewpoint on both sexuality and morality than I do now. Having been raised in a more religious tradition I didn't feel I was judging gays, but that at the core it was morally wrong and unhealthy. While I also felt that *gasp* fornicating was wrong, I didn't seem to have a problem justifying that one. 18 feels like a long time ago now and I find it interesting that my parents still pretty much have the same views they did then on sexuality/morality, yet mine have expanded to the point where I think (and live by) the only limitation should be whatever that individual chooses for themselves.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #25
Cloud

I have a lot more problems with the words "morally" and "wrong" than I do with "gay."
Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #26
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The larger question is not about homosexuality but about what is "morality" and who has the right to project their morals on others.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #27
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

excellent - well written - better than how I tried to say it.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #28
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Kant's argument also works against being a priest.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #29
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The larger question is not about homosexuality but about what is "morality" and who has the right to project their morals on others.
Yes.

Personally, I define morality as as a set of ethics that guide the interaction between a group of people (2+). Ethics will have to be defined as what is right and wrong.

That is why I can't see how homosexuality can be seen as immoral or even a morality issue in a sociological sense. Unless you get really picky, whether a person is a homosexual, heterosexual, or bisexual, it really doesn't affect anyone else. The only way I can see it being a morality issue is if it is one forced upon us by a higher power or a person in power. But that should not happen in the United States being a secular democracy (republic).
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #30
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ View Post
yes yes...but not because of morals. that would be for violating their(metaphorical) rights.
That's a curious distinction, LJ. I wonder how you might go about defending the realness of "rights" without some appeal to inherent value and moral prohibition.

In other words, your sister's right to self-determination (the right to not have sex forced on her) has to be, in some way, connected to her inherent value as a human being. That statement of value then carries with it certain prohibitive statements, statements that declare the boundary actions which violate the right.

Well, if you have statements of inherent value and statements of prohibited acts based on that value, you have morality.

If you see some other way to construct "rights", and to give some justification for their "rightness" without appealing to moral language, I'd love to hear it.