The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Most beautiful movie (visually) I have ever seen. Ever.

Just watched Ida. The film is blackand white and in Polish with subs. The cinematography was beyond gorgeous. Every single shot was a work of art.

The movie itself was very good, if quiet and somber. From what Polish friends of mine, who lived in communist Poland, described life then it seemed very true to life.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Not having seen the above, I have to go with the obvious:
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover.

For the costumes, the lighting and the sheer beauty of colour.
Terribly misogynistic. But the world it depicts is violent and unpleasant in many ways.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's not a lot to go on, but maybe someone with more time can utilize their google-fu...

There was a film I saw in college. It was German with subtitles, and it was about playing the clarinet and being deaf. I can't even remember if it was the clarinet player herself who was deaf, or just her family. But I remember it was visually amazing. I'd love to see it again if anyone can figure out what it was called.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Sundae, indeed the Cook, etc. was an amazing movie and visually tantalizing and also the polar opposite of Ida which is spare, somber yet beautiful, and black and white. Because of the simplicity of the shots each one was so carefully composed they could stand alone as a work of art. With a simple composition there is not ornamentation to hide behind; everyting is out in the open.

I'll ask my sister about your movie, Clodfobble, she knows everything.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Silence_(1996_film)

Bam! googled deaf clarinet player
Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Badass, thanks!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Not a film, and sometimes hit and miss, but for TV and for its time, Inspector Morse had some spectacularly shot scenes. It ran long enough not to have the same DOP I guess , but some of the shots had cinematic quality.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

When I got the Blue Ray player for my computer and wanted to see how it looked on the big plasma, I went and got Avatar. not disappointed. That's a gorgeous movie.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
glatt

It's awesome to experience something like that on good quality equipment.

With my FIL passing away last week, we inherited his stereo. It's the kind of stereo that dominates a room. And I'm afraid of the electricity bill if we play it routinely. The amp alone is 800 watts, and the pre-amp has tubes so you need to turn it on a couple minutes before you want to listen to music to give it a chance to warm up. It also puts out a lot of heat, so it can't go in our cabinet. So what I've done, is hook up only the speakers to our existing stereo. And they sound fantastic. But I understand they really need the 800 watts to really perform, and our 300 watt amp doesn't do them justice. I believe it, you can barely hear the bass, while the treble blows your socks off it sounds so awesome.

But these speakers sound so beautiful. I've been playing different music, and seeing which music really pairs well with the speakers. They really shine best when it's simple music and you can hear individual acoustic instruments.

I'm torn about selling it. It's worth a lot, but I've never had a super high end stereo before. It's worth more than either of our cars, and my wife is leaning toward selling.

Last edited by glatt; 12-04-2014 at 03:28 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What are the speakers.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
glatt

The speakers are B&W Nautilus 803 units.

I've just been googling them and it looks like they each require a minimum of 50 watts and handle up to 250 watts at 8 ohms, and our current amp (Yamaha MX-2) produces up to 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms.

I'm having trouble finding the specs for the amp he had paired with them. But what little I've found questions my earlier statement about 800 watts. I wonder where I got that number? Maybe on a fuse cover on the back? That amp is an Audio Research D240 Mkii, and it looks like it may only produce 120 watts per channel at 8 ohms.

I'm not sure what all these numbers mean here, but I do know that I can't turn the volume knob (on the pre-amp) above 3 without hurting my ears. And the speakers sound amazing.

I know I'm sounding like an audio snob, but that's really not me. This equipment is all his hand-me-downs. And we got about 400 classical music CDs too. There's some good stuff in there.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

B&W Nautilus 803 Review...
Quote:
Bottom Line:
Excellent imaging and detail but unfortunately in my opinion there is a harshness that prevails. Exposing weaknesses in non perfect recordings is a weakness in my mind. That takes out over half the music available. Even with excellent recording the harsh is still there in my opinion. I believe a speaker that shows flaws as many reviewers seem to think is a good thing simply means they are not reference quality able to master the sonics I'm looking for.
They're too good, they make bad recordings sound bad.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
glatt

It's kind of true.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Last Life in the Universe.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345549/

Simple story, really great cinematography
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote