The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Pennsylvania Senate race a worst-case scenario

Rick Santorum, Pennsylvania's junior Senator, will be up for election in 2006. I am eager to see him defeated.

Unfortunately, the Democrats seem to have settled on Bob Casey, Jr. to run against him. See, I know about the guy. I ran my ex-wife's Libertarian Party campaign for Auditor General against him.

Background: I was an LPer in a big way in the mid-90s but lost the faith and left it and am now a swing voter.

My ex's campaign was a little more active than most such LP campaigns, partly because of my interest in working it a bit, and partly because it turned out, as an CPA/CMA with senior-level auditing experience with a big-X public accounting firm, she was the only candidate who was actually qualified for the job. This and her good performances in debates, and the fact that she was the only one on the ballot not named "Bob", gave her double the usual LP vote total... around 106,000 votes. Google fodder: my ex was Sharon Shepps when she ran for Pennsylvania Auditor General in 1996; the R in the race was Bob Nyce.

Robert Casey, Jr. was an "empty suit", much like Santorum. He was only electable at all because he was the offspring of previous PA Governor Bob Casey Sr., who in turn was only electable at all because the name "Casey" has a long and somehow beloved history in Pennsylvania politics. When Senior died, the reins of a strange political vortex were handed off to Junior. And the voters, pulling levers for politicians they did not know and for an office they didn't understand, gave Casey a third more casual voters for minor statewide offices.

How much power remains in that bloc remains to be seen. It's based in Scranton, for pete's sake. Scranton, with all due respect to our own BrianR, is not on the map because it is the center of anything much at all, save being halfway between a lot of destinations and thus being a good truck stop location. A fine little town, but an unlikely power center, in a state that contains the big-time politics of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg.

To me, Junior's time at Auditor General was unremarkable until it became relentlessly political. I understand the need for such politics, but I prefer a politician who wins the public interest by, you know, actually doing their job well, not by collecting donors for their next campaign.

The other minor PA office he held was as Treasurer. This is sort of political office that doesn't actually require you to perform, so much as to avoid scandal with the cookie jar to which you were entitled. Some might recall the on-screen suicide of politician R. Budd Dwyer. He had been PA Treasurer, and there were questions about the state of his cookie jar. He considered his public snuff preferable to jail, in that case.

So what Junior is right now, from my perspective, is a guy who started as an empty suit, graduated on name, performed unremarkably in relatively unimportant positions, and is in the position of possibly becoming a U.S. Senator on the basis that he is even MORE pro-life than Santorum - and that, also, only on reputation because his dad pushed the envelope so hard.

Rs often point to the Democrats' refusal to allow Bob Casey Sr to speak at a national convention, as evidence the Ds are a clearly pro-choice party. Ds respond by pushing Casey Jr as their boy, to show they can be pro-life.

Now, my perspective on state politics is not as informed as it once was, and it may well be wrong. I only say all this because, from where I sit, this really is a worst-case scenario, doofus A against doofus B. I think I pick B, as of now, but it just goes to show how the US Senate is not necessarily the best and the brightest... not by far.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Ain't that always the case.

On the bright side, at least you can break the momentum of the current doofus, and maybe do another switchup next time around.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes - and that's why, while it's early yet, my first take on this election ("If it were to be held today...") is to hold my nose and vote Casey.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
headsplice
Relaxed

Rick 'Man-on-Dog' Santorum? Yeah, not exactly my favorite person. You might choose to use my favorite method for determining who to vote for when I can't make a real decision:
Remove the incumbent.
At least the new person probably won't be able to do as much damage as the old.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
russotto
Professor

I gotta go with the devil we don't know. Santorum's offal.

(awful? That too.)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:08 AM   #6
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

heh.. do you guys get an article 'savage love' up there? it's a sex advice column, easy to read and usually funny/right on.. santorum got a... well.... nick name for himself by the readers.. if you get the chance check it out. or I'll send you the link.

near as I can tell.. I'd go with any devil other than santorum (and I live in Kansas!)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
headsplice
Relaxed

Oy! That's uber-nasty.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Damn that's harsh, I like it.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Casey Jr. now opens a 52-34 lead over Santorum, on the basis of national politics.

18 points is a lot.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The only reason Casey is not governor is because of Ed Rendell...and Philadelphia. Casey is likable, people liked his dad and Santorum has shot himself too many times since 9/11.

Please, Pennsylvania...for your sake--and the nation's--put Casey in the Senate.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When in doubt...vote 'em out.