The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 11-28-2005, 11:48 PM   #46
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

Red Horse Beer for MEN BUILT LIKE A HORSE! I was told it has quite a kick and only men used to stronger types of brews will survive it. Served in tall chilled bottles. Also comes in Junior sizes nowadays.

Last edited by Luisa; 11-28-2005 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Major typographical errors
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:03 AM   #47
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

There are no descriptions with all these photos and they dont make a lot of sense without them.

These are the things that I'm seeing here. If you have a question about something post it and I'll try to answer.

I'm leaving the city tomorrow and moving into a "non-tourist" hotel in Pembo. There are cafes there but they suck donkey ass, bad keyboard, machine crashes out every 10 minutes, etc.

The photos directly before the hanging cow intestines shows the entry to the wet market. This was the point that the smell made me dry heave. It gets much worse after you get inside.

I saw a rat run from one floor drain to the other but couldnt get a shot because he was too fast and I wasnt expecting him.
Attached Images

slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #48
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

n
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #49
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

n
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2005, 07:15 AM   #50
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

exactly ***************************nothing************************** is working as it should and I just dont have the patience to monkey mother fuck around for hours and hours and god damn fucking hours for the simple things that should work without effort or thought.

Will post in a few weeks.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:20 PM   #51
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Slang, for heaven's sake and your own sanity, send Luisa a PM so she can help you. She even has cousins who own internet cafes and she has a car. Don't suffer unnecessarily, the *necessary* suffering is bad enough in Manila
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 AM   #52
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

The intestines are usually used when cooking Kare-Kare, kilawin and other dishes that call for entrails, or boiled in vinegar and then deep fried and dipped in vinegar with chilis then eaten with steamed rice. Quite a delicacy. The same thing is done with chicken instestines.

Last edited by Luisa; 11-30-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:30 AM   #53
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I've regained my sanity if only temporarily.

We went to China town today in Manila and it was very interesting. I have about 300 photos from Manila just from our trip today.

It's a shame that some of them cannot be prepared or posted here now.

I moved into the cheaper hotel closer to her home today. The view from the roof shows all the homes and streets around that area.

It's not beautiful but interesting. Or sad, depending on your perspective.

Her nephew has told me that he can download the images and burn them on a CD.

With the use of his ( working ) computer some descriptions with the photos should be able to be prepared for a better presentation here.

I'm having a great time despite the rainly, hot weather but the computers here, even at the "upscale" cafes, are just not up to what Americans are accustomed to using.

More later.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 AM   #54
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This is from the biker bar here in Manila. It's nice to see full sized bikes for a change.

These were taken during the day and there werent many people there so I stole a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 AM   #55
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This one goes out to our very own Griff man and his goat farm. No, I didnt inquire about the goat.

It was advertised with several signs which must mean there is a lot of interest or none at all.

It was a funny thing to see out here anyway.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2005, 12:56 AM   #56
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

There are buildings here that just catch my eye as being cool. I dont know why because they really arent all that interesting compared to those in the US. This is one of many that were taken on a walk into Comembo

Simple concrete structures with rebar reinforcements. Some have some nice windows and some dont. Most of the block and mortar work are left ugly instead of adding some kind of stucco or something nice to see.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2005, 01:02 AM   #57
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

There are often downpours here that last 15-30 minutes and come without a lot of warning. The sun shines bright as normal but then it starts raining without the dark clouds that would normally indicate a storm coming.

I was stuck without cover in one of these downpours. One of the kids gestured me to come stand under the roof ledge for cover. I was much more concerned about the camera than getting wet as the rain always cools me off.

These are some pics of the kids playing in the rain. The saying "too dumb to come in out of the rain" kept running through my head but experiencing this firsthand here....it doesnt have the same significance as home. The rain will only fall for a short time and one doesnt risk getting a cold as the weather is so hot.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2005, 01:09 AM   #58
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

The kids here are very well behaved with me. Not one from away from the city has asked for money or tried to sell me junk.

The do however, tend to stand in the road around me. Yesterday I had to send them all home because they wouldnt stay out of the road as I walked around.

They may be well knowing kids here but in my mind I'm resposible for them and I insist on them not walking or playing in the road.

I've become a party pooper in two countries now.

Here is one of my favorite little actors. Though I wont likely see him again, he was very funny in actions and voices during one of my walks.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2005, 01:14 AM   #59
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Those people that know me know how much I love to take photos. Not just photos but things different and also from differenet perspectives.

A few days ago I went to the hardware store to buy a board to attach the camera to so that the camera can be lifted into high positions for better shots.

Most everyone here thinks that this is the most ridiculous thing they have seen with me walking around with an 8 foot board with a cam attached.

Some of the photos with this technique have turned out pretty cool though.

These are some taken from about 15 feet above the street level.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 AM   #60
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Though this place is very poor with very low wages, natives and visitors seem to be willing to spend money on fast food.

Most of the fast food chains also deliver foods. This is from Wendy's down the street from the hotel.

If only this service was available in the US, i might not have to come out during the sunlight hours at all.
Attached Images