The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 04-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
No go with the pics. Push the "manage attachments" button and nothing happens.

Any suggestions?--snip--
Nice to meet you slang. Sounds like an awesome trip. I'd like to see the pix too. I was cursed with a non-functioning Manage attachments button too. Here's the successful end to my story. ymmv, but good luck.

http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=92
Old 04-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was gonna suggest turning off the pop up blocker also.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:15 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll third that. I have to hit the control button to override the blocker in order to manage attachments or see the rest of the smilies.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #19
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Ok, looks like a new NON IE browser did the trick.

The first one is me in the paki man dress and in need of a shave. The second one is a common truck from the city with it's unusual markings.
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 04-28-2005 at 10:36 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #20
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This next one is me in more of a need of a shave with a leash on.

Many of the beggers/ street preformers there had monkeys there and I was honestly fearful of the little bastards. They would jump around and were quite playful but who knows what HIV they have in their blood and saliva.

The next one is one of the more interesting and modern looking buildings on Bank rd in Pindi.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #21
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

If you are over 5-5 here you can surely appreciate how small the cars are here. Just as I was walking around wondering where the bigger cars were, I found this old Chevy Caprice.

I dont know how long this one has been there but the stench is powerful all around it and for a minute I thought there might be a body in it.

Sure wish I could have ridden in something this size when I was there.
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 04-28-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #22
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

While not quite as big, this Beetle seemed familiar too but was in working order without the stench.

The interior was completely whipped but just having it run made it something interesting for the paki owner.
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 04-28-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #23
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This first one is from inside the stock exchange in Pindi. My friend Najeeb was a real player in the market and I spent some time with him here. It was interesting but Jesus H, everywhere you go there its hotter than hell and smells like everyone's BO

Hey I can handle it, mine was in the mix too , I'm sure...but wow....I couldnt stay in the exchange for more than 10 minutes.

Next is me sporting the traditional nice evening attire. This material is very nice and has a fancy botton down section on the top. Pretty comfy overall.

Tough to pee in though
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 04-28-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:03 AM   #24
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This next one is of a mosque right in the city of Pindi. One of the few times that I was uneasy was during the call to prayer from this mosque. It's loud and has everyone's attention. There's just something about the sound that gives me the creeps. My friends were supportive of my wanting to get inside when the call would sound but they really didnt understand my wanting to get inside .

The next one is one of my favorites. It's just a man and his covered wife riding down the highway but the fact that shes riding sidesaddle and is totally covered made this very interesting to me.

I guess we do something similar to that with Harley's here though...cept the women are naked.
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 04-28-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #25
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I was riding in a bus when I took this shot of the father and son. The son saw me snapping the pics and couldnt stop looking at me.

Thank God none of these people were injured in any of these dangerous situations there. I couldnt watch some of the things I saw people do there in fear of seeing them get hurt.

This next one is from the bus too. This is three kids on a bike passing a cell phone back and forth while riding. The kids are so enthusiastic about technology and living a modern life there. Their enjoyment of such simple things was great.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #26
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
The next one is one of my favorites. It's just a man and his covered wife riding down the highway but the fact that shes riding sidesaddle and is totally covered made this very interesting to me.
I can't imagine that working at all. It would take tremendous skill to even manage to retain your balance at all. Either she's gonna fall and break her neck, or she'll carry the whole bike down around a turn some time.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #27
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This next one is a billboard of Musharaaf who is quite popular there despite the little bombing thing a few years back..

He is bringing foreign investment and development to Pakistan and the people are just now seeing the effects of his new policies. I've always thought he was a gutsy guy and have seen him of Fox news with Bush. He's got a very powerful presence.

The billboard reads...."fortune always favors the brave...it doesnt matter what he wears"

For anyone that believes that muslims there are intolerant of Christianity, I saw no evidence of this. This is the St Paul's Church off the mall, complete with it's own station for a security guard placed there during service( complete with a short barrelled shotgun )
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 04-28-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #28
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Lastly I would like to thank everyone that was so helpful and gracious to me while Iwas there.....from the staff at the Shalimar Hotel that was always running for my cold water to my friend in the shops of Pindi....to the Elite Police commandos ...I'll never forget you all and will return for another visit very soon.

I dont want to understate their patience with me and their attention to my wants and needs there.

What a truly great people, I miss them all already.

Sorry I almost forgot someone....thanks UT for allowing me to post these for everyone, I have zipped files of the complete collection if you would like to see them.

Last edited by slang; 04-28-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:27 AM   #29
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The idea that Muslims have a problem with Christians is not really true. My wife grew up in Tehran in a Catholic neighborhood with real Catholic churches and everything. The regime even allows them to possess and consume alcohol which, as we know, is central to being Catholic.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #30
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I can't imagine that working at all.....
They do it by the thousands man.....I cant figure it out myself but they do it.

I have even seen a woman side saddle with a baby in her arms and a kid on the tank!!