The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

it's not me. It's county court. We suddenly had an inspiration that they don't know where my imaginary friend went to college (which I'm absolutely positive is not two doors down from the courthouse), so maybe just say away at college, finals week and it might be enough for a deferment. No choice of time. Report 1pm Monday, trial begins Tuesday, call after 5pm Friday before to see if you got lucky and aren't needed....but is a deferment the best option because you'll definitely get called again pretty soon ...or just hope not to get picked so it doesn't loom again in the near future.... decision decisions
Old 11-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I looked at the W. county court's postponement policy. The chances appear to be slim to none. OTOH, nothing ventured - nothing gained. If they consider it, they will likely require supporting documentation be faxed to them before approval. It might be worth going through the process to have the outcome for future reference.

In any case, if the assigned juror number isn't selected for service, be sure to play that number in the lotto!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
monster

dean suggested what documentation to provide and said if no deferment, show up with same documentation looking stressed and studying at every opportunity or words to that effect
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #19
monster

...the case looks to me to be a right pain in the ass. personal injury damages from RTA where other driver fell asleep, has already been jailed.....
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
sexobon

Those can get nasty. I served on an auto accident case (low speed rear ending) where the plaintiff's lawyer asked for $90,000 for injury, pain and suffering. We awarded the plaintiff $I,000 (mainly to deter the defendant, who otherwise went above and beyond after the accident, from following too closely in the future. The trial lasted only one day.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #21
monster

one day would be fabulous, three not so much.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #22
monster

pologirl was granted a deferment, but had to pick a new date on the spot. Which turned out maybe to also be problematic but we shall see.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #23
sexobon

Save the deferment request in case Trump brings back the military draft when we go to war with N Korea.