The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Grandparent and grandchildren

I couldn't decide if this was a Relationship thing or a Parenting thing.

Anyway, I have two little grandsons who live on the East Coast. They are 3 yrs old and 1 yr old. I feel obligated to keep up a good relationship with them because that's what Grannies do.

My problem is their dad - my step son. In the past few years his political beliefs have gotten more and more extreme. It used to be that we could disagree and yet have a normal conversation. It's not that way any more. I haven't said anything to him (or his wife) but I have a great desire to pull away from them emotionally. I don't want confrontation, I'd like to walk away and leave them be - but I'd also like for them to leave me be.

However, that's not going to fit well with a loving, doting Granny, is it? I find myself cool towards the little boys because of this wedge that's between their Dad and myself.

I'm wondering, is it possible to have a good relationship with grandchildren in spite of a poor relationship with their parents? Should I 'fake' feelings of closeness? What do you think?

- Louis Adamic
Alluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"feelings of closeness"?
Isn't polite sufficient for your step-son, the close at your want with the grandkids?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Yes. Well. No. I'm torn.

Too close to the situation to see the path out, I think.

- Louis Adamic
Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I see, your head and heart are having a domestic dispute. I better stay out of it or they both might kick my ass.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

lol !

I believe the kid in me wants to take my marbles and go home, i.e. wash my hands of all of them.

The Mom in me is chastising me for that, saying it's not the little boys' fault and I should continue to stay involved in their lives.

The teenager in me is saying "This is gonna SUCK."

:p

- Louis Adamic
Old 12-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, you seem to have a clear picture of the problem, they say that's half the battle.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Why/how would you and your stepson's political views affect/effect your feelings toward your step-grandchildren?

Honestly, I just don't get how the entire population of the country is so bent on division.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluvial
It used to be that we could disagree and yet have a normal conversation. It's not that way any more.
Do you mean that he is berating you, or aggressively pushing his beliefs at every opportunity? Or is it that you simply find them so repulsive that you can't be around him even when the conversation is about other things?

If he's truly being verbally abusive or deliberately antagonizing you, I can see the need to get away. But if you just really, really hate his beliefs, I think you are the one being unreasonable. One of the lessons I have repeatedly taught to my own children is that you don't talk about politics or religion in polite company. It's just not productive. All civil people ought to be able to ignore such disagreements for the sake of family.

But like I said, if he's the one who keeps bringing it up, that's a different issue. I'd bring it up with his wife or other relatives before cutting all ties, though, to see if maybe he doesn't understand how off-putting his behavior is, and give him a chance to behave more tolerably.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Excellent point, and I agree that people should be able to avoid disagreeable conversations for the sake of family.

I have not had much communication with him for about a year, but I have tried to speak to him about how pushing these things on me turns me off. The smart thing to do, I reckon, is to give him time to change.

- Louis Adamic
Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Gravdigr, he's pushy about his views and doesn't know when to back off or slow down when talking about them. He mistakenly takes his rantings for "discussion". He's also one of these who thinks if he talks louder he will be more convincing.

Last winter he was convinced that the government was going to come take his guns and ammunition away, and/or that there was going to be some reason that he would need all the firepower and bullets he could get. He was going to buy a lot of ammo but they needed the money for bills and groceries - his wife was able to eventually talk him out of it. He seriously was going to buy ammo before groceries. That disturbed me.

- Louis Adamic
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's not extremism to limit one's trust in the State, especially in times when it is enlarging. It is merely Jeffersonian. The trick is to be healthily skeptical; unhealthily is no good either. Yet, Mr. Obama is even less concerned with the rights and liberties of persons not among his cronies than Mr. Clinton was, and Mr. Clinton viewed the Constitution less as a guide to his behavior than as a stumbling-block to his ambition. I did not vote for either one of them.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Agreed, some skepticism is a good thing; nobody should blindly trust government. In the case of this ammunition thing, I think his priorities were out of order. It's not like he didn't have *any* - he did.

- Louis Adamic
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluvial
I have not had much communication with him for about a year, but I have tried to speak to him about how pushing these things on me turns me off. The smart thing to do, I reckon, is to give him time to change.
Or just wait until a Republican is in office again. Then it will be the other half of the country's turn to be pissed off all the time. In the meantime, when he does bring his beliefs up, The Miss Manners response would be something suitably vague that he can misinterpret however he wants.

"Obama wants to take our guns!!"
"Oh don't even get me started! I can't even think about that subject without getting all worked up again... Tell me, how are the kids doing?"
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

Cut and run. They're 1 and 3, they'll be fine. They won't remember you to miss you. It shouldn't be an obligation. Remember when you were a kid being made to dress up and go and visit granny/some distant relative/ It's no fun. If it's no fun for granny either....just why?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not always, I had one that was the torture you describe, but the other was very cool and always fun.