The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #151
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If you shot yourself in the foot, you would not be as lame as that reply.

Mark Steyn agrees that reformation via the moderate side of Islam is the right answer, but contrary to some people on this thread, he says to do that one must be politically incorrect, and link Islam to terrorism:

Quote:
Why are we surprised that "Muslim moderates" rarely speak out against the evil committed by their co-religionists when the likes of Mr Paddick keep assuring us there's no problem? It requires great courage to be a dissenting Muslim in communities dominated by heavy-handed imams and lobby groups that function effectively as thought-police.

Yet all you hear from Mr Paddick is: "Move along, folks, there's nothing to see here." This is the same approach, incidentally, that the authorities took in their long refusal to investigate seriously the 120 or so "honour killings" among British Muslims.

Just as the police did poor Muslim girls no favours by their excessive cultural sensitivity, so they're now doing the broader Muslim community no favours. The Blair-Paddick strategy only provides a slathering of mindless multiculti fudge topping over the many layers of constraint that prevent Islam beginning an honest conversation with itself.
But the coaxing is what counts - wooing moderate Muslims into reclaiming their religion. We can take steps to prevent Islamic terrorists killing us, most of the time. But Islamic terrorists will only stop trying to kill us when their culture reviles them rather than celebrates them.

There are signs in the last week's Muslim newspapers, in London and abroad, that some eminent voices are beginning to speak out. At such a moment, Britain should be on the side of free speech and open debate. Instead, the state is attempting to steamroller through a grotesque law at the behest of already unduly influential Islamic lobby groups. One of its principal effects will be to inhibit Muslim reformers. Shame on us for championing Islamic thought-police over Western liberty.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #152
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
If you shot yourself in the foot, you would not be as lame as that reply.
What the hell am I going to say? There is no magic bullet that can fix everything, but the first step is to stop doing things that make it worse. If I don't have an alternative, that doesn't mean that the current course is correct; to say that is to say "We must do something, this is something, therefore we must do this." The first step in getting out of a hole is to stop digging. If digging is all you know how to do, that's not a reason to keep digging; you still need to stop.

And of course religions should not be exempt from laws, whether it's Muslim honor killings or faith-healing child abuse. The honor killings should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but military occupation of Muslim neighborhoods in London, or random arrests of Muslims, would not be the way to go.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #153
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK, what are we doing that appears to you to be making things worse?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #154
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ok--(I don't belong here, I'm not anywhere near as well-versed on this as all of you, but I am middle America and I'm not as stupid as you think, so--ok....)

You want politically incorrect? How's this---the Muslim world is 1,000 years behind the rest of the civilized world. At least. And they don't produce anything. To me, those are major, MAJOR flaws that won't be corrected until enough time has passed as such to render the culture/religion "aware"--my niece married a fresh-off-the-jihad Pakistani man. You all should get a load of HIM! How many of YOU have it in the family??? Anyone??

Yes, he's one man. No, he's not inclusive of the entire region/religion. Don't insult me. But he IS completely unwilling to "adopt" this country as his own------so, why the fuck is he HERE?????*

*I've the answer, but it's waaaay off the thread.

Now back to your arguement....
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 AM   #155
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
And they don't produce anything.
They don't have to. They've got oil.

The real solution is long term, but I think it's what happened in Russia:

Give them all cable tv and internet access and eventually their kids will demand western culture.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #156
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

[quote=dar512]They don't have to. They've got oil.

[/QUOTE} ...ok, WE did not always NEED their oil. They've NEVER produced anything except religious nut cases. If the world didn't need oil, they'd be Darfur. Period. No one would give a shit what they did or how many of them were killed.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #157
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
OK, what are we doing that appears to you to be making things worse?
1) Invading Iraq, thus retroactively proving in many Middle Eastern eyes everything the terrorists have been claiming about us.

2) Our eternal dance of supporting corrupt governments if they will provide short term political advantage. This is not, of course, specific to the Middle East. It is just as harmful in Central and South America.

3) Until very recently, we supported Israel's position no matter what it was (I think we should always support Israel, but sometimes we would be supporting them better by not supporting some of their individual policies). This is something I think Bush has actually improved our position on. If US diplomacy had anything to do with settlement withdrawal, then good on him.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 07-12-2005 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #158
dar512

Good point, Brianna. And you have to wonder if all our oil money wasn't flowing into the Mideast, would they the nutcases be able to afford to fly around and plant bombs hither and thither?

So support our troops - get rid of your suvs and humvees.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #159
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
So support our troops - get rid of your suvs and humvees.
Thank you.

I'm way, waaaaay below an SUV. I'm nowhere near a humvee. I'm a Ford kind of woman. While other RN's bought Lexus and the like, I raised two kids with all the opportunity I could muster. I think I got the better deal. My oldest is enjoying what we jokingly call "lawyer camp" at University of Cincinnati. He won via an essay he wrote (and he was identified as "gifted" as a youngster). The younger, Danny, just finished an elite sports camp. I feel lucky.

—James Barrie

Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #160
dar512

Way to go sons of Brianna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I feel lucky.
Not luck, I'm sure. I bet it was more like lots of hard work and love.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #161
wolf
lobber of scimitars

According to the break-in on the noon news, buncha houses were raided in a "Muslim Section" of Leeds and arrests made.

There is now also speculation that the four bombers died in the attacks, although the reporters are not yet saying "suicide bombers" as there was also information that the bombs were triggered using cellphones as timing devices, like the Spanish train bombs.

I wonder, though, if there is insufficient Islamic fervor on the part of the youth of Britain, and those who carried the bombs thought they were merely going to place them at some location and have the bombs go off later?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #162
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

There's also the possibility of an unsuspecting suicide bomber...

Abdul: We drop the bomb and then pretend we're tourists.

Akbar: Hey Abdul, why is the bomb ringing?

Bomb: Dumbasses... *boom*
Old 07-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #163
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
So how do we get Islamists to reform their society?

Don't tell me what we don't do to achieve this, tell me what we DO.
I have a couple of suggestions too.

1 -- Fight the hype. When you hear news event Islamofascist dah dee dah...just subtract the hype part. This has postitive effects. You still get to prosecute a crime as in the honor killings, as is just. You starve the recruiters of a little bit of oxygen each time you don't run around in circles flapping on about how the "the Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!". You train yourself to respond to the facts, and not be distracted by the noise

2 -- Let them be. Let them fall of their own accord. If they believe they can make a functioning society and economy in the world of today, I say, let'em try. What happened to communism? We didn't bomb them into submission, we outplayed them. What makes you think we're unequal to this new foe?

This effort will require considerable restraint on our part in two major ways.

First--get out of their country. There are plenty of reasons to do so and plenty of places in the world where equally awful things happen that we are where we're NOT eyeball deep.

Second--major reduction in oil consumption. Since that's their major economic bulwark, we'd be hittin' 'em where they live: in the wallet. Beat them in the market. Fix their little red wagon, don't buy what their selling.

Look, if the can make go of it, fine. I, myself, don't believe in the righteousness of the coming American Hegemony. The world's big enough for other cultures. We already permit / tolerate / ignore / whitewash all sorts of societal differences in the name of national security / diversity / detente / benevolent disregard. There's room on the list for another.

3 -- Get to know them. Yeah, Kumbayah and all that sh*t. Seriously. Find a person, and get to know them. For this part to work, the person in question has to be a Muslim. But notice, they're a person first. Get to know another and then five or ten more. I'm leaving completely open what kind of Muslim-icity the person believes in. If they're moderate, surprise! You get to see moderate Islam in the flesh. If they're radical, bonus! Now's your chance to see how the other side thinks. And I get a golden opportunity to represent how my side thinks. I f*cking A believe that my way is better and I relish the chance to debate the issue on the merits. Notice this is possible in this scenario where you and another person have gotten to know each other as individuals. Presumably in a way that permits conversations, and the exchange of ideas.

This one is the compliment to suggestion number one. This is anti-hype, and much more representative of the way the world is. I'll give you an example. Bush gets a lot of press. We all talk about him, every day (maybe TMI, I'm a freakin news junkie). But consider how many people vs. presidents you know? Really, my life is influenced much much more by people who aren't the president. Like my boss, my family, the people I interact with every day, the people in my local community, the people in my cyber community, etc. The ones that affect me the most aren't the ones making the most news or even getting the most attention.

By getting past the loudness of what we hear and read in the media, we're able to make more informed judgements of how things really are. The map is not the terrain, but the terrain is what we must cover, regardless of what it says on the map. The hype is not the people, but it is the people with whom we must interact, and relying on a faulty map will lead to faulty decisions. Get to the truth. Get to know each other.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #164
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

When you say "their country", which one do you mean?

Winds of Change debuts this Flash presentation showing all major attacks since al Q. Note when Mar 2003 is on the timeline. Previous to that are the attacks you can't blame on Iraq.

http://windsofchange.net/flashplayer...da&w=640&h=480
Old 07-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #165
jaguar
whig

bruce - this was a while ago.