The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #16
juju
no one of consequence

I got this one for christmas:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17/
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

I trashed three Timex watches in about two weeks at work. One played with two bashed. We have a monitor in each room that gives emergency info along with the time... now that's on the fritz.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #18
seakdivers
Icy Queen

I got my husband a Skagen titanium watch - it's one of those super thin ones. He hasn't killed it yet, but he also hasn't worn it much.... but he can kill a watch in 15 minutes just by looking at it, and this one has lasted 2 years. He only wears it when he travels to testify.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #19
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

but anything short of a direct hit with a tool to the face will incur cosmetic damage at worst.
Try a 4 lb shop hammer directly to the face of a casio g shoc , scratched it but only , now this damn near BROKE my arm , I once saw a tug boat mechanic with a g shock that he had welded accross the face it still worked , Casio Gshocks ROCK I have had 2-3 of them in 20 years , they ALWAYS died a HARD death !!!!!! ( well exept for that one that the girl at walmart KILLED while trying to change the battery )

Look here , http://www.countycomm.com/Watches.htm
They may have something for you.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #20
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I've had a Citizen Eco-Drive for a few years now. It's solar powered, or any light source. I wear short sleeve shirts to work and the flourescents keep it charged.

The list is over $200 but Kohl's or Sears always seems to be running a big sale, so the final price is about $120.

Not as sturdy as a G-shock, but in theory it will never need batteries. My wife's Eco-Drive did have a problem, but a lot of that was the fact that she kept it covered almost all of the time.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #21
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Here ya go , http://www.network54.com/Forum/12547...ted+wristwatch
Old 01-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #22
mbpark
Lecturer

Watches I have had good and bad luck with

Hello,

Here's my experience (based on a few watches I have):

1. Fossil Watches. Delicate and will get trashed. I'd personally avoid them.
2. Kenneth Cole Stainless Steel watch - this is a tank and puts up with a lot of damage. Well worth it.
3. Swatch Metal Watch - again, well worth it, very sturdy.
4. Invicta Diablo - very nice watch, very sturdy - band could use a better pin.
5. Technotunes 256MB watch - not very sturdy, USB drive on it flakes out occasionally. Needs headphone adapter to use with normal headphones. On the whole, doesn't tell time or play mp3s well.
6. Movado Museum Watch - can't tell time, but looks good.
7. Timex Ironman Triathlon Watch - almost impossible to break. Incredibly good watch, and well worth the money.
8. Timex Indiglo Analog Dial Watch - small, cheap, incredibly good watch.

If you want something that will stand up to torture and work well, Timex makes the best.

Thanks,

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #23
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

I tend to buy my watches at CVS.
Go ahead, laugh.
I beat watches like they owe me money.
A buddy bought me an expensive watch, forget what type, and I wore it hunting.
Bad move.
After field-dressing a buck, I realized that the crystal was busted.
I figure that if I was going to buy a watch every couple of months, I'm not spending more than $25 at a clip.
Plus, the cost of replacing a battery is re-fugging-dick-u-lus.
$10 for the batery, $15 for installation, and the pleasure of some airhead cheerleader telling me that I could get insurance on the battery for only $50 a year.
Insurance? On a battery?
This bitch is gonna be poledancing in about two days.
I told her that when her IQ reaches 28, sell.
"OK. Thanks for the tip."
In the words of Charlie Brown - AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only dress watch I have is a Russian MiG fighter pilots watch 'liberated' from an Afgani soldier back in '91. Looks great with a tux.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Damn it! I looked for one of those for *years*! @#$!~%&!!*@# !!

Back in the days before the Internet, all you could do was cruise the damn stores, and no one *ever* had it here in the Midwest. I was so pissed. I wanted that watch desperately.!
It took a LOT of looking. Finally found it at a now-defunct discount chain called BEST. You had to order your stuff at the counter and it would come down the conveyor to you. Not a cool merry-go-round or ferris wheel conveyor like Brookstone, but a regular industrial one.

I really miss BEST. I got a lot of totally great stuff there. I get nostaligic every time I go to the Montgomeryville Borders.

Quote:
Anyway, I can also throw in a vote of confidence for Casios. I've had several, and lost them all before they ever broke.
The plastic wristbands tend to be the biggest problem. I would typically go through three or more per watch, which over the course of the life of each watch really wasn't all that bad when you think about it.

My newest Casio has a nylon fabric wristband that holds up quite well.

My current watch is actually a Timex. Yes, I am appropriately ashamed by this. It's a Timex Expedition clip watch that I hang from my belt loop. It's a lot easier to lend to coworkers who need to take vital signs than a wristwatch. I also have a very cool Remington Pocket Watch that an Avon Lady friend gave me. It has a graphic of a Pheasant in flight on the case and face, but the hands are pretty thin and it's harder to read than I like.

I also have an Avon novelty watch of the First Moon Landing Life Magazine Cover, but I don't often wear it because I really need a backlight.

Oh, and I still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #25
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Does anyone have an opinion on Eddie Bauer watches? Are they just branded cheap crap or do they have any durability?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The Seiko Kinetic Titanium. It lasts forever, never needs winding or batteries, and it's light and looks nice.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think, Steve, that what you really need to do is go out and buy a character watch. Subtle or obvious is your choice. But there's something about an adult wearing a Darth Vader or Spongebob Squarepants watch that really makes a statement.

Restaurant premium watches are really good for this. You sometimes get them free with your purchase, otherwise you're not going to be out more than $5 for a very funny watch, sometimes with amazing light and sound action. I got a lot of wear out of my Denny's Space Bear Watch (mine was blue) as well as my Burger King Rugrats watches.

The Mr Spock Watch I had to buy for myself. A friend gave me an Alf Watch. You have to rip Alf's entire head off your wrist to see the time on that one. I didn't wear that one a lot.

The classic Mickey Mouse, while always available, doesn't have quite the same impact.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #28
mrnoodle
bent

I look outside. If the sun is up, I should be at work. If not, I can go home.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I also have a shepherd's watch, but it's not much more than a novelty, particularly since I work nights, mostly indoors.

I also have not really had it work right ... I don't think it's "tuned" for my latitude. Either that or someone forgot to wind the sun and it's starting to run slow.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #30
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I look outside. If the sun is up, I should be at work. If not, I can go home.
Must be hell during the summer.