The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: is there a god
there is only one god, the christian god 14 25.00%
there is no god, no heaven, no hell 25 44.64%
there are several gods 4 7.14%
i am god 6 10.71%
i believe in "The Force" 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2003, 10:31 AM   #31
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

how do you know this? isn't "daddy" english? i thought jesus woud have spoken hebrew?
okay, the word he used was 'abba' which translates to 'daddy'. I was simplifying
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:08 PM   #32
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

I look at it this way...there is a single supreme being with many facets, thus the diversity of gods throughout time....I mean, the reason I believe there IS a god is because I look around and think that things are just TOO perfect to be mere chance. I think there HAS to be some kind of intelligence behind it. Now, I also believe that if God/dess wants to create the universe through evolution, then who are we to say S/He couldn't have? I don't think that religion and science have to be at odds...

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:32 AM   #33
enmityjac
Kinda New Member

PLEASE READ

Sometimes I wonder if that why I dig holes to climb out of sometimes. It's either that, or I'm just a lazy procrastinator. When I have a negative though, I've think I often distract myself with something in order not to have to think about it. I know a lot of people who are like this, from extreme to moderate. I guess not many people like thinking about the bad or annoying shit in their lives, myself included. I just put shit off until it gets bigger. Knowing the right thing to do and actaully doing it often do not conincide. Such as life. Seems like the same patterns over and over again. This seems to be what creates most of lifes problems. Man is flawed. Kind of annoying do the same dumb shit over and over again on different levels. With these levels of control I possess, whatever problems I fix, something else replaces it. Balance, although this balance is constantly changing as I navigate through life. I believe the key to be setting the levels of control and finding a set of problems you don't mind dealing with knowning life can throw you a curve ball at anytime. I guess that's why a lot of people say life is a downward spiral. Which proves that life is all about how you look at it. Coming to the acceptance that everyone is flawed and bad shit is gonna happen to you no matter what you do will help to find a sense of peace. Although, I've noticed though that positive action/thought can be is just as bad as negative thought. Any extreme can be dangerous as every positive has it's negative combined with the factor of a flawed mind that sets enough hurdles as it is. Thought, knowledge and experience just brings about pain. Life is filled with both pain and joy. Each a positive and a negative. A lot of intelligent people are consumed in this negative though at such a high level. I guess why MIT has the #1 suicide rate in the country over 11 years straight. I don't think I would ever kill myself. Suicide is only a factor if I get sentenced to 5 years or over to jail. I have made atleast 20 people promise to get me cyanide if I didn't get out on bail. I'd rather die than be a convict!
I like writing down my thoughts. I hope they find whoever is reading them well. I often hate when people send me long emails. I usually read them at the wrong time and can't respond appropriately because I'm busy with life. Even worse, they can sit in my email inbox for months until I forget about them. Selfish, but real, flawed and human. It's frustrating knowing the right path and taking another. My reluctance due to what? Many reasons......many questions.......many answers.. I'm conscoiuce of all of my actions. I've been told I have freedom of choice. Often, I realize ponder the thought that I have no control, only the illusion of control. All the way at the very base, I've been programed, rubbed off on, strengthened, weakend, inpired....... Such as life. Before you completely disagree, here me out. It always comes back to "Such as life". Accept it or move on. I'm curious as to something. Taking into account that are no true certains in any equation. No two things are equal. Kind of like fingerprints, or at a higher level, genetics and so on down the chain to our comprehension. There is no balance. Hence why pie is an unbalanced equation, an everchanging number that contains everything. Pie conatins all, it circumfrances our world from our ourselves, to others, to all of the 0 and 1's ordered correctly in the most complex computer program. (which was recently proven. An experiment conducted took all of the zero's and one's in the most complex video game at the time and the found it ordered correctly in pie. It was over 700MB's. It took the computer over two years two years to compute and find the coding for the game within pie. Maybe that is why some people tend to gravitate to computers. It is math and logic based, yes or no. Math and logic are useful tools, but unfortunately, they don't happen to go along with the universe which is unbalanced and everchanging, visa vie, pie. I now see why MIT has the highest college suicide rate in the country 11 years straight. I guess the MIT kids have the ego's that drive them nuts. Their inability to solve an everchanging equation drives them nuts. Most of them fit the profile, 58% male, social outkasted, socially challenged, or the best of them, socially wacky and a little nuts. As an exteme, the word excentric comes to mind. But in the true sense, not the Howard Hughes, I can get away with being crazy because I learned how to do some cool shit because my family had money along with being motivated to suceed. Although, I think his extreme fairytale success to such a large national level brought about his insanity to extreme level. A high profile will bring out all of your flaws to their extreme unless you have a good attitude about it. Drew Carrey vs. Fiona Apple. Drew Carey got caught in a strip club. They tried to hammer him and confront him with it. He said he went and he had fun or something to that effect. They left him alone. I don't thik I have to say anything about Fionna Apple who horibbly set herself up for embarrassment. People love to find flaws in others to feel better about themselves. Again, man is flawed. Hence why People and celebrity magazine scare the hell out of my on more levels than just this one. Unfortunately, people who put themselves in a high profile lifestyle are a constant source of attack. They're easy targets. Life seems to be 10% what happens to you and 90% how you handle it. Sometimes I handle situations poorly and I have a large ego. Flawed just like everyone else I guess. This is what confuses me about people. I look at this thought as real. Real thought can be constructive as it the only way to walk the right path (or the best one you can think of depending on how you ended up in the gentic lottery.) Often, If I tell someone my thoughts, they think I'm being hard on myself. I have a large enough ego by default, it helps to check myself often. To change is good. To change often is perfection. To change often is life and life just is or it isn't and you have levels of control are non-existant or limited at best,l so sit back and ride the rollercoaster. Maybe you can reduce the largest rollercoaster you've ever encountered into a kiddy like ride. Unfortunately, the kiddy ride gets even more boring. It gets more boring because it has to go longer to compensate for the rollercoaster I was born with. To boot. The rollercoaster keeps changing and will send you a hump once in a while IF you choose to accept it. But otherwise would be deluisional to most since many enjoy hurdles. If I keep asking for hurdles as I get older, by the time I'm forty, I'll have plenty, a wife, kids, suburbs. What else am I here for? It seems to be what everyone else is doing? Does that make it right? Maybe one day, instead of trying to figure out what ride I'm on. I can do my best and accept that my actions and my thoughts direct the path of my life and I may or may not have control over them. But wait, I have the choice to influence myself. I have to choice in my surroundings. I am the way I am because I choose to be. Contradictory, nothing in life ever changes. As a child, I had no control of these things. To gain control over these things now takes work, but would I do this work if I wasn't raised a certain way, or met a certain person who influenced me to. Do I really have control? I find many people pray for help. There hope that a God exists and that if you ask, he'll help you, ie: Submission to religion. If I have control, what do I have control of. Beliving this makes myself and many others feel helpless and week. I know what I am. I know my strengths. I know my weakenesses. I know my flaws (atleast some of them to my level of understanding). I AM COUNSCOUS! I KNOW! Though man's version of knowledge is tainted. Our logic is flawed and our surroundings will forever be beyond our comprehension for the rest of this life. There is no right. There is no wrong. In our world, there is, there isn’t, or the third variable (the future invention of AI), there is and there isn't. Some people call this choice and I'm not quite sure that that’s the answer to all. That may be the answer to AI, more importantly, creating an acurate respresentation of our minds. That may even be our answer, but definitely not our true solution. Sometimes I imagine the level beyond the level that I have a glance of and it is so far beyond my comprehension, I can't even begin to ponder, but O can say from my understanding of my surroudings to exist, although I may never know what it is. This is why I see so many scared people running around. They don't know!....and it drives them to places like........church. How arrogant is man to claim understanding of anything, much less God? On a side note, should an understanding of God be a goal. Comprehension is NOT POSSIBLE! I Don't care who you are. I've said this statement many times before. I have been told here was a man who KNEW! They thought he might know what happened to you when you die and those same they strung him to a cross. He could see the future (after starving himself into a delusional state by not eating for 30 days). That is a burden (cross for the holy goers) that I don't think I could ever be non-man enough to handle. I see nothing wrong with religion really. I'm a big fan of the idea. It keeps people within a certain level of control. I like atleast the attempt to want to be kind to their fellow man. I wish more of them would practice what they preach, but they're only human.

I don't claim to be right, especially since their is no such thing as a correct though coming from my feeble human mind. I look for input.

Last edited by enmityjac; 04-21-2005 at 06:03 AM.
enmityjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
I look for input,
Based on the quantity of your output, I tend to doubt this.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #35
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmityjac
Wow...
Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Nurse ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:09 AM   #37
mrnoodle
bent

gotta be 1700-1800 words. my.

Anyway, I vote for one God, and the Christian interpretation of that being.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #38
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Jesus Christ.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #39
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

It's almost like they're channeling TW.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #40
lookout123
changed his status to single

can't be channeling - there is no mention of MBA's, mental midgets, 7 minutes, engine vibration, or noise.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #41
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

in Hindu, everyone: "Holy Cow."

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #42
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I'm curious as to what happens when we tally the votes .... does anyone else see the humor in voting on whether or not an eternal non-caused omnipotnet being exists? If he wins, does he pop into existence? If no, does he *poof* disappear?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #43
jaguar
whig

Where is the 'there is a god and he isn't christian/is X' option?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #44
Pie
Gone and done

"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
"`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

(I love Douglas Adams!)
Old 04-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #45
jaguar
whig

we also need a separate god is dead option.