The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Isn't Anyone Going to Say Anything About Matrix Revolutions?

It was supposed to be a big deal...the end of the trilogy.

It was cool in a way, dissatisfying in another way. I dunno...I think I expected too much. The first Matrix rocked altogether. The second at least left you thinking, wondering and anticipating.

This one kind of leaves me flat. Unfulfilled. Great fucking battle scenes, though.

Other opinions?
Old 11-13-2003, 12:23 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Haven't seen it yet ... no clue when I'm going to make it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #3
Torrere
a real smartass

I've been willfully not seeing it. Soon, though, I will see it at the IMAX. I figure that since the battle scenes seem to be all that people are raving about, and feeling dissatified with the rest, I may as well get the best damned experience of the battle scenes that I can.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:40 AM   #4
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Didn't like the first one. Didn't see the second one. Won't be seeing the third one.

-- jeff
-- curmudgeon
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

I haven't heard anything about it which would make me spend what precious little time I have watching it in the theatre. I was disappointed with the 2nd one and people are saying the third is more of what made the 2nd suck. I bought the second on dvd, however, and it is likely I will buy the third, if only to say I have the complete trilogy.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:40 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I watche dthe first one on video and was mildly entertained. I had zero interest in seeing the second one, and about the same for #3.

Maybe it has something to do wtih my yawning disinterest in first-person shooting/fighting video games.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:07 AM   #7
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: Isn't Anyone Going to Say Anything About Matrix Revolutions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
The first Matrix rocked altogether.
Revolutions is playing at the local theater and since the admission is only $5, I thought I'd see it.

The first one was great, the second less so.....the third, from what has been posted/written should be only ok.

Maybe I'll go see it drunk. Would that make the movie better...or worse?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:14 AM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

oh, crap. I was looking forward to seeing that. i was kind of dissapointed with the 2nd because the novelty of the original had worn off, and they really did not introduce anything new. apart from the architect and the knowledge that the oracle was a program. i had hoped that they would take a different angle and open some other questions. if the third is just more of the same, i think, like perth, i'll just wait and buy the 3rd dvd just so i have the complete trilogy.

reminds me of these new lame ass star wars films. you SO want them to be great, epic films like the 1st 3, but then you get that doofus playing annakin in attack of the clones, and it's downhill from there.

now, it's been done, and hope is lost for it being a good sequel....it's kind of like a lottery ticket: it's a winner, and you make plans on how to spend the money, until 7pm when they draw the wrong number, and that ticket becomes a piece of trash.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Re: Re: Isn't Anyone Going to Say Anything About Matrix Revolutions?

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
Maybe I'll go see it drunk. Would that make the movie better...or worse?
Better.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 AM   #10
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I was disappointed, but I half-expected to be. In watching, it seemed like the result of commitee thinking... bland but with cool, expensive effects. If it weren't for the fact that I'd have to give away critical plot points, I'd point ou my specific beefs with this movie. Oh well.

The most entertaining part for me was when my wife, friends and I were walking out of the theater. We were walking past the LONG line of people waiting to get into the next showing, and they were watching us leave. I turned to my wife and said, loudly enough to be overheard by many, "I can't believe that Agent Smith is Neo's father!"

Well, I thought it was funny.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:56 AM   #11
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami
"I can't believe that Agent Smith is Neo's father!"

Well, I thought it was funny.
Excellent. I thought it was funny too.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:07 PM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

My thoughts (** SPOILERS **)

I think it was a collection of cool scenes that should have been in different movies. The Zion battle should be shipped off to Lucas to be used in the next Star Wars movie. The final Smith-Neo battle should have been saved for the next Superman movie. Trinity's final scene should have been split up into about six parts and sent off to romantic tear-jerker flicks. The annoying ammo-reloading kid should have been in a civil war movie. The rest should have been a low-budget pretentious arthouse film.

That said, I enjoyed it overall, but have no desire to see it again.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #13
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

If you haven't seen it, but want to see it, go find a matinee. I had to see for completeness's sake. Same for the Star Wars Prilogy.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #14
stir
Questionist

I thuroughly enjoyed it even though I despised Jada's character. I guess it was voted on that there wasn't enough over-acting in the first 2 parts.

I wish Morhpeus got more screen time. But the Matrix movies are all about Neo. 1st movie = Birth 2nd = Love 3rd = Death. It didn't give ALL the answers but I was finally able to bring all the elements together in my mind. Like what the Oracles purpose was and what she wanted to accomplish.
stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #15
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

I guess it was better than the second one, but it'd be hard for it not to be
greenian is offline   Reply With Quote