The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #16
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I've had some of that sort of thing with anxiety illness. Sufferers call it "depersonalization". Anxiety can cause every single symptom you can think of...

Same here, UT. For about a year and a half, I suffered some fun anxiety problems thanks to stress at work. The depersonalization can actually take on the form of temporary "mini-Cotard's" and you can feel completely detached from your world. What I experienced was mild, but I had no idea that stress could do such things! Its almost like you're floating through your world and aren't fully in control or like you're watching what you see through a television and your feeling that "you are inside yourself" feels shifted, like someone has miscalibrated your internal compass.

Fun stuff.

If you've had it for awhile, UT, and still do make sure you go see someone about it. I had a heck of a time shaking it but was determined to do it without medication and was able to get through it after many nights of thought, introspection, and forced relaxation. I still have a fairly stressful job, but learning to cope was a massive help.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I've had it all my life, it's truly chronic. I address it with medication.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #18
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

alphageek I have just noticed you are very funny.
we shouldn't be worried about what we write here in case someone uses the information... this is the internet - it was designed for the sole purpose of teaching kids how to blow things up and get high and be the world leaders of the future.
anyway, back to the point, I find smoking pot brings me back in touch with reality - and you are able to see things a lot more clearly and rationally. Which reality is a different question - but I certainly prefer it.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #19
perth
Strong Silent Type

Everybody I know has some deep reason why they smoke pot. Doesn't anyone do it just because it's fun?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #20
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

fun? FUN? there are people out there levitating and you speak of FUN?! my son, you know nothing. this world was made for misery. MISERY I tell you! Fun indeed.

actually yes there is no deeper meaning. it's just that smoking pot makes you take everything so seriously, you must have a deep reason for smoking it...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:46 AM   #21
perth
Strong Silent Type

I guess a side-effect is that it makes me *very* creative. I do my best writing / painting / whatever, but the impetus is always "for fun". And not everyone takes things seriously after smoking pot. There's a good reason my brother's nickname is "monkeyboy".
Old 09-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #22
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Well, (as the old poem says)

Worry not, ye who ask, For I have set my own self beyond the boundaries of perplexity(drugs), And so, whithersoever I walketh, mine lips shalt not touch yours...(oops, I meant) Mine lips shalt not touch any weed or grass of the field. (including tobbacco)

(translation: I ain't smoke)

...and besides, I want to die late, not early
Old 09-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #23
perth
Strong Silent Type

well, (as Denis Leary says)

Smoking takes ten years off your life. Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair, kidney dialysis, adult diaper fucking years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright?

(Translation: What's the fucking point of living a long life if you never have any fucking fun?)
Old 09-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #24
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
well, (as Denis Leary says)

Smoking takes ten years off your life. Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair, kidney dialysis, diaper ing years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright?

(Translation: What's the ing point of living a long life if you never have any ing fun?)

Well, (as I say)

Life is not all that there is to living. There is more to life than just ________(fill in the blank) If you are the person that has a positive outlook to life (sees the glass as half full) then those 10 last years would not be as bad.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #25
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Tom if you are young,and I believe you are.......Live it up! There are PLENTY of chemicals there already. No need to enhance a prime.Or destroy the gifts of a young brain and body.Way to go Tom!(OBE's need no enhancement as you seem to have figured out)

No single rain drop believes itself to be responsible for the flood.........
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:07 PM   #26
perth
Strong Silent Type

Edit: Sorry, I was just being a jerk.

Last edited by perth; 09-24-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #27
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Hey, this place is for sharing ideas. it is up to the individuals to accept them or reject them. :p
Old 09-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #28
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Supposedly, this small cluster of neurons is what "centers you in yourself".
This caught my eye, Kitsune.

Does this mean "centers yourself within your own skin"? Creating your own centroid and the spacial reference to it?

The first paragraph of your post reminded me of a time I was taking prescription pain killers for a back injury, many years ago.

When I was (over) taking the meds.....I felt as if I was "behind" me. Maybe 6 or 10 inches behind. I still had precise motor control but felt very different. At the same time I felt as though I was somehow behind my own body, there was no effect in rotational positioning. If you were somehow attached to your body behind yourself, you might expect that the distance between the turning axis and where your body was repositioned to distort the sensation. This was not the case, it was a strictly mechanical sensation but broke the physical rules.

So anyway......interesting post.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #29
warch
lurkin old school

I've had what sounds like the exact opposite experience- intermittently, too much, too inside my own head, seeing shapes, lots of flowing geometry- after closed eyes, and loud ringing, pulsing in my ears. Since I was a kid, I can calm myself out of it. No drugs involved. Not chronic, just mildly wierd, just me.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #30
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I occasionally have mild temporal lobe seizures which cause a very interesting sensation in my brain: I "recognize" whatever's happening around me and I am ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that I know what is going to happen next. (This is not like your typical deja vu experience, there are a bunch of other symptoms that go along with it, but anyway...) The interesting thing is the theory as to the origins of the sensation--they think that perception is delayed ever-so-slightly, kind of echoing if you will, so that you actually ARE seeing something you've seen before.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote