Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

18 Foods That Make Your Skin Glow

Quote:
Top skin creams average about $400 an ounce (and you thought gas was expensive!), yet most offer little proof that they do half of what they promise. Want to save a bundle and improve your skin? Load your shopping cart with nutrients that research has shown to have skin-hydrating, sun-protecting, and even wrinkle-preventing powers, says Manhattan dermatologist Amy Wechsler, MD. Here’s her grocery list of best foods for your skin.
The list
Old 03-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Cloud

. . . and stay out of the sun, drink water, and exercise.

(runs off to fire up her juicer)
Old 03-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

very helpful. I certainly need all the anti-oxidizing I can get!! Prior to last chemo, I wasn't to take vitamins at true anti-oxidant levels as they WANTED me to oxidize (well, they wanted the tumor to oxidize) but now I can start to rehab my skin.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Cloud

I just cannot eat much fish. Never liked it as much. Anyone have a good experience with fish oil capsules?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you don't like the taste of fish, but like crabs, imitation crab meat is made from fish.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

This is depressing, I followed hyperlinks from that food article to here, a list of mercury content in fish.

Still, I wish I was up in seakdivers neck of the Alaskan woods to be able to fish for or buy salmon for a buck a pound. Or to cook crabs the size of small children.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
here, Or to cook crabs the size of small children.
those things are seriously scary. even dead.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I was looking for just such a list this week. thanks!

We're all looking about winter ashen right about now.

We eat alot of tomatos,broccoli,fish and sweet potatoes. I am thinking about vitamin E as a topical. I have emergency wrinkles.

Last edited by skysidhe; 03-30-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: read more thoroughly
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
This is depressing, I followed hyperlinks from that food article to here, a list of mercury content in fish.
As I've always heard, the larger, older fish, like Shark, Marlin, Orange Roughy, Sea Bass and Swordfish, have high mercury counts. Pollock and Salmon are much better.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I should be glowing like a lighthouse!
Well, I am beaming. How nice to read a healthy living article and say, yup, yup, having that, doing that, yup!

OT - after Dad had a shunt inserted last year (year before maybe!) I researched and sent him a list of cholesterol lowering foods. Not the little drinks or spreads advertised - properly reseached and proven natural ingredients to bring him within guideline levels.

No brainer, right? Look Dad - you can lower your cholesterol BY EATING!
And he loves fruit and veg, loves fish, cereal etc.

Asked Mum the other day on the phone if he was still paying any attention to it. Nope. He took it to the supermarket for about a week, then forgot about it. Mum says, "You tell him - he won't listen to me!" So it's back to the drawing board. Sigh. Maybe I'll find the Tesco version of Super Naturals (the healthy ready meal that captivated me earlier this month). Then at least he can pick it up with his weekly shop.

Dads, eh?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #11
katfiche
like a fiche outta water

I've got to add my endorsement for a product I found in an attempt to strengthen my immune system. It did what vitamin C, colloidal silver, etc. has failed to do, keep me healthy in spite of standing in the cold in an open warehouse in the middle of winter handling money from coughing and sneezing patrons. I normally catch a cold twice a year and for the first time in my life, I escaped the common cold.

The product is called Epicor. You can pay a little or a lot for it, but it all comes from the same plant. I purchase mine from Puritan's or Swanson's, as they are the cheapest.

Now to bring this on-topic, I had noticed shortly before beginning this regimen that my skin had definitely taken a nosedive. I had figured it was just another one of those many roadsigns I've passed heading for 50. To my surprise, I noticed a definite difference in my skin after taking the product. There is a depth and glow to my skin now, and that tired, flat look I was developing is gone. The other pleasant surprise was the psoriasis I had acquired behind my ears was gone. I missed a dose for three days and it was back. I'm now adding Pycnogenol to the regimen to see if it enhances the effects any.

I've taken a lot of supplements over the years, but this is the first one that has had such blatant effects. It's hard to have a placebo effect when it is completely unexpected.
katfiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Google, "epicor immune".
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
Cloud

they used to recommend taking brewers yeast--nasty stuff--for b vitamins. sounds like Epicor may be good stuff, unless you have yeast problems.

I'm going to try Qi Gong 8 pieces of brocade, to strengthen my immune system. Stop taking pills and bathe those internal organs in qi!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I just cannot eat much fish. Never liked it as much. Anyone have a good experience with fish oil capsules?
In a word....outstanding! 2500mg a day. Very effective in reducing cholesterol - on the negative - occasional fish burps - YUK.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Google, "epicor immune".
The first site is from a dude who's an official N.D., so you know you can trust him as it's only one letter off M.D.

This product is as likely to boost your immune system as Enzyte (TM) is likely to boost your penis size.

of course that's my opinion but people have noticed i'm very smart and good at figuring things out especially hoaxes and scams
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote