The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #946
rockerreds
Infamous Defamer

Theodore Dreiser-An American Tragedy
rockerreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #947
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Just got an order from Doubleday book club (like Christmas at Shawnee's house.) Last night I started "Halfway House." I'll let you know if I like it.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #948
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"Brain Child" by George Turner. It's the first sci-fi book I've ever read that is set in Australia and is full of decidedly Australian language. Interesting so far, but a little heavy on the foreshadowing. Practically every paragraph has a reference like, "Of course later we would all come to regret this meeting very much," and "The horrible events that would unfold would show me just what a lie this really was," etc. But hopefully that will tone down the farther in I get.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #949
Flint
Snowflake

The wheels were beginning to turn in Clodfobble's mind; but she had yet to realize how soon she would find herself looking back on her realization of coming to regret her decision to plow forward into this increasingly patronizing series of sophomoric semaphores. The day would come, soon enough, that she would find herself curled up in the corner of a padded room, in a puddle of her own drool...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #950
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I just stood up after sitting on my foot for a while and it gave me pins & needles /ralphwiggum
Sorry, reading Jodi Picault killed off too mant of my brain cells...

Just finished a Peter Robinson book - can't remember the title & too lazy to go upstairs to check. I like him because he has the same name as my Dad. Now reading a Rebus book (Ian Rankin) ditto re fiding out the title, but it's the one set during the G8 summit.

Prior to that I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I was very wary of it. The characters were oddly motivated to my mind, and a little wooden. I also questioned that a newborn baby would sleep for 12 hours after birth, but perhaps the author had experience of that - I don't. I hate it when I start questioning the plot, in theatre terms it shatters my willing disbelief.

All reasonable, but nothing stunning. I want a book I can fall in love with again.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #951
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
I also questioned that a newborn baby would sleep for 12 hours after birth, but perhaps the author had experience of that - I don't.
They can, but you're not supposed to let them. They need to eat every 2-3 hours whether they want to or not. Mine regularly slept anywhere from 8 to 13 hours at a time when he was a couple weeks old, but he'd already gained enough weight by that point that they said it was okay (truth be told, he was a fat little bugger.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #952
glatt

Reminds me of our first.

We were such neurotic and clueless first time parents. The doctor had scared us with tales of babies that lose weight after they are born. Our daughter would sleep a lot (bless her) and we were doing stuff like putting wet washcloths on her to wake her up to eat. We were so neurotic. It took a while for us to clue in that since she was growing really well and was in the 95th percentile for weight, we could relax a little bit.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #953
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
They can, but you're not supposed to let them. They need to eat every 2-3 hours whether they want to or not

You can feed 'em while they sleep.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #954
Cloud

--Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts by JK Rowling. -- very fun little books she did for charity.

--Just Finished Born in Fury by David Weber. Military SF, and as usual with David Weber, very detailed accounts of military hardware and enemy strategy (which I skim, looking for the stuff about the characters! ). Really good.

The odd thing is, it's apparently an expanded version of an earlier book (Paths of Fury), and I didn't think I had read that book. But the day after I finished it I happened to come upon the original book in my bookcase. I don't even think I finished that one.

Now I'm gonna go back and re-read all my Honor Harrington books. At least until the last ones, which got too overblown.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #955
celbain
Kinda New Member

"Harbinger Hall", a short story by Bill Roorbach--
I am in great need of anyone who has read this, who would also be willing to talk about it with me.
celbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #956
Drax
Banned

Umm, whutsa booook?
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 AM   #957
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I just started "Early Trade Unions: Fraternity, Skill and Politics in the Workplace, by Malcolm Chase. It's for a module i'm doing, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. Very accessible writing style and sound analysis. Made even more exciting by the fact the author is also the lead Professor on the module
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #958
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerreds View Post
Theodore Dreiser-An American Tragedy
Isn't it amazing how some of the best writers have such completely fucked up lives. Dreiser was a bit of a fraud in that his characters were much more tragic than he was. Compared to Poe and Lovecraft, his life was a cakewalk. I'm assuming that the title refers to his works and not his personal biography?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #959
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Autobiography of a Face - Lucy Grealy
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #960
rkzenrage

The World Treasury of Science Fiction

Tags
books