The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Are you affected by the current economic meltdown???

Just wondering. I mean every day the news is so dire you would think that the next thing will be riots in the streets!

Right now my wife and I don't see any difference. She still has a good job, I am still gainfully unemployed because I am self employed which can be sort of the same thing. We have enough funds for some vacations and things and we are still buying the same kind of groceries. We were actually worse off 2 years ago with a bunch of out of control credit cards that we finally just settled on and got out from under it.

Has it affected you or is it all hype?
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

It isnt hype for the thousands upon thousands that are losing their jobs .
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was trying to find a job. I went to the Disability Counsellor because I have "depression" on my previous claims and it was offered as a service. The day I went to see her I had been off anti-depressants for 4 days, thanks to the Byzantine method AVDC uses to get people registered with a GP.

She (someone employed to get people back into work - which I do want) advised me that in the current climate, I would probably be better served by being back on Incapacity Benefit. She felt that the demands imposed by the system to apply for and be interviewed for jobs would exacerbate my depression, given that so few jobs in my field were currently available, and the people going for them would be in a stronger position than I was.

I rejected her POV at the time, but talking it over with my parents and my GP I had to accept that I am not well. I suffered a major loss in losing my last job. I suffered an even greater loss moving home to my parents (although they have been marvellous - taking on a depressed 36 yo?! When they've retired? Beyond the call of duty!)

So I have been affected by the economic climate. I have been advised into inactivity. Next step is volunteer work. But a job now looks far down the line. I kinda don't mind... I accept I need a carer at the moment. But there is a part of me that hates myself for being in this situation, that wants just to be a normal person in a normal job, that wants a normal life. But then hating myself is part of the problem.

Sorry, as usual TMI.
TMI.
I have a doctors appt today.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
It isnt hype for the thousands upon thousands that are losing their jobs .
Yea, hype wasn't the right word but I do wonder if media is driving the story to a degree. On the other hand, Houston seems to be doing better then other parts of the country.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
..Sorry, as usual TMI.
TMI...
Nothing to be sorry about. I wouldn't expect someone to apologize if they had cancer or a tumor and spoke about it. Depression is just as real as any other illness. But, like cancer used to be, it has a stigma. Hopefully people will get better educated about it.

And I've been there too. It's like being put in a very small space with doors and windows all around and you can't get out of it.

HUGS
Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

SG, depression sucks! And the trouble is you have to wonder if you don't have a job because you are depressed or is that you suffer depression because you don't have a job.

I'm actually less depressed now then I used to be because now that my parents are dead and I'm not a fulltime caregiver I can get back on with my life and clean up my house or go travelling with my wife.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Unemployed, car repo'd, ARM mortgage, credit fucked. eBaying stuff to pay bills. Whaddya want to know?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Crazy is a pretty stable industry.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I was there too, SG. Did you ever look into that book I mentioned in a much earlier post? The Feel Good book by Dr. David Burns isn't a cure all but it helped me to get my thoughts in order when I was at my lowest. It covers a lot of ground between depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. Its hard to absorb it all in one reading so its good to go back to it often.

Amazon has it along with some of his other books.

BTW, sometimes a break, like the one you are getting is the best solution. If my mom didn't take me in after my breakdown, I don't know if I'd still be here today. You may feel guilty about burdening your parents now, but when you get back on your feet, both you and your parents will be glad that you did.

ETA: when I say 'glad that you did', I of course meant glad that you 'burdened them'.

Last edited by Pico and ME; 01-28-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Surprisingly (to me at least), so is higher education. A fair percentage of people who get laid off decide to go back to school, either to finish undergrad degrees, to get a higher degree in their field, or some to switch tracks to a new career.

In spite of the crunch, enrollment numbers at our uni are up, way up, for next fall. That's a reassuring thing.

In seems like a similar thing is happening on the music front. Budgets are shrinking, so sessions are only a half-day or so where before it might be been two or three days, a lot more work being done in smaller home studios, but overall there are plenty of projects going on.

I've been called on maybe a half-dozen projects for people who 6 months ago were making good money in finance or some other field, got laid off, and decided that they wanted to be 30-year-old rock stars instead of 30-year-old stock brokers, so they're funding projects out of pocket. That's kind of a new thing for me.

Must be nice to have an extra $50k kicking around to blow on a totally unmarketable vanity project!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Our enrollment is at a record high. We just had a town hall meeting with the president who told us, due to creative planning over a long period of time, our institution is very healthy.

It's good to hear in such times. Actually, at my old job, they had a hiring freeze and weren't even replacing open positions if that position was deemed something we could get along without for a while. We would forgo raises. We found ways to cut costs. I was in a job that should have been stable but wasn't necessarily so, and I was miserable, so I got lucky when my current job was posted and it fit everything I like to do and am good at.

I feel very lucky. I've struggled for years and now that I am in a good job, I look around and know how lucky I am. Being lucky is something I never thought I'd accuse myself of; I was in the right place at the right time.

Still, I see the struggles. My younger brother's company had a layoff...he was spared (I'm not surprised that if they could keep someone they would choose him because I'm sure he is a great worker and people like him) but the bosses felt terrible about the 60 people they had to let go. It makes me sad to see so many struggling.

I worry about my parent's retirement. Dad wasn't going to retire for a while....though he's 70...but when his cow orker was killed on the job he felt he had to get out. He worked hard for years. Mom and he were financially savvy, they invested for this time. Now I bet there's very little left. My older brother tells them they haven't really lost money until they sell, and to hang on for the upswing. I'm sure this isn't easy for them though they would never say as much.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Must be nice to have an extra $50k kicking around to blow on a totally unmarketable vanity project!
For $50k spent the right way they could have their own record label.

My buddy Joe started one with his winnings from Who Wants to be a Millionaire. That was $125k, but still.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
chrisinhouston
Professor

There was an article in the Houston rag that said most community colleges are doing well and enrollment is way up. It also said the public libraries are doing a brisk business with everyone going online to look for work.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
Shush! You're in the business of making people feel good about their projects and cashing their checks. Don't talk down your own economy.

My company is scraping by. Last I heard, the state still had not paid us for the previous quarter. Pete's company values her skills and is keeping her on a project she is overqualified for until they decide if they want to continue the (most awesome) internal research and development project she had been on.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
chrisinhouston
Professor

My wife and I did loose value in any kind of investments or retirement savings but since we are not in need of these I figure it's a paper loss and eventually it will regain from it.