The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #46
kgg
A Friend Indeed

Thumbs up

Water and start off by just walking. Build your stamina and the speed. When that "stops" working, shake up your routine and try lifting weights, when that "stops", go back to walking. Water, water, water......then you pee all night long. Really cramps the sleep cycle but....wooo baby! Do you look good!
kgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #47
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy100
Would a bike be able to hold my weight?
Check with your local bike shop. I bet they can find something that works for you. LJ's right though. Don't try to start out with a racing saddle. Have the bike shop get you a "comfort" saddle that's appropriate for you.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #48
rkzenrage

Beach cruisers are fun and work great, here in FL you can get great ones that are ten-speed and amazingly comfortable. Don't know about anywhere else. Another plus is the shock absorption that they offer and that they are just cool, retro, and fun.
They can hold anyone.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #49
BigBoy100
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Check with your local bike shop. I bet they can find something that works for you. LJ's right though. Don't try to start out with a racing saddle. Have the bike shop get you a "comfort" saddle that's appropriate for you.
The problem is i dont have much money
BigBoy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #50
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Then try walking. Just moving at all is a start. I was glued to my couch last year. This year I am forced to walk all over campus and it has really helped me feel better. Try a short walk.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #51
rkzenrage

Most bike shops have used bikes or can point you in the right direction.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #52
monster
I hear them call the tide

I wholly recommend swimming (and food intake control). I took up swimming this year and it has been excellent. I've lost a little weight without changing my diet (about 2lb per month, starting at 175), and I'm so much fitter and toned, so some of the weight seems to have moved from the flabby areas to the limbs. So I look like I've lost twice as much weight as I have.

You say you worry about what people think when you swim?

1) stuff them. could you feel a whole lot worse? Why let them make you feel that way?
2) join an adult swim program. You're old enough and you will find that no-one will care about your size. Kids are cruel, adults are in the same boat.

As for the rest of it, tell us about your current diet. What do you eat and when? and why? Do you snack while watching TV? stop watching. Get addicted to the internet instead. if you're using your hands to type, it's hard to use them to eat. etc.

But above all, you've got to really want to do it, and to really want to do it you need to think about what your life will be like when you're thinner. What will you do? What excuses will you no longer be able to use? What are your excuses for not losing weight now? (I'm not dissing you here -everyone has excuses) For example, some people use being overweight as a mask for shyness. If you are shy, how are you going to deal with this when you no longer have your weight to hide behind? If you don't have an answer to this, it gives you an excuse for not losing weight. etc.

Good luck, you're doing well so far.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:43 PM   #53
monster

Quote:
where do you live? rough vicinity will do.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #54
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Atkins works for me. It breaks my addiction to carbs and I LOSE tons of weight. I am a carb junky. I must go cold turkey. After the induction period (2-3 weeks) I feel so much better, have so much more energy and my mental attitude is better. I'm doing the 'criminal' Atkins now and I feel goooooood!

Whatever works.

How many times have you "done Atkins"?

If the answer is more than once, then it's a bullshit plan. A proper diet/plan/regime is needed only once. Anything that you need to repeat is a "yoyo diet" and at best is pointless.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #55
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Start slow. You didn't get fat overnight and neither will you get thin overnight. Don't drinkn soda, avoid anything with corn syrup, drink plenty of water.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #56
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Big boy, stop playing the "yes, but" game.
what should I do?
walk.
yes, but I don't like to walk.
get a bike.
yes but I don't have much money.
repeat ad infinitum.

no one on this board really gives a shit if you lose weight or if you die of a heart attack at 19 and have to be lifted out of your house by a crane.

If you really want to lose weight, then stop playing the "yes, but" game and get up off your ass and take responsibility for your life.
/sermon
Old 05-17-2006, 12:05 AM   #57
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
Big boy, stop playing the "yes, but" game.
what should I do?
walk.
yes, but I don't like to walk.
get a bike.
yes but I don't have much money.
repeat ad infinitum.

no one on this board really gives a shit if you lose weight or if you die of a heart attack at 19 and have to be lifted out of your house by a crane.

If you really want to lose weight, then stop playing the "yes, but" game and get up off your ass and take responsibility for your life.
/sermon
A point well (if brutally) made. We can give you advice, we can support you, but we can't take your weight off you. We can be here for you, but we don't know you from Adam and it's no skin off our noses if you continue to bloat. We could read "Fat boy exploded" in the paper and not know it was you. So now it's on you to put up or shut up. I look forward to seeing your 10lb loss post. I wish you well.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:58 AM   #58
John Adams
Founder of Freedom

I have to agree with the previous two posts.

Here are some additional suggestions: Go up and down the stairs, costs nothing and it's great exercise. Do you have any dirt trails near you? Maybe a park? Go walk over there, look at the birds and try to identify the flowers you see, it keeps it more interesting.

As others have said, you didn't gain the weight over night you will not lose it overnight. Concentrate more on changing your habits, don't worry so much about a diet, as you increase your activity level you will reduce the food intake and burn more calories.
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:57 AM   #59
Griff
still says videotape

When I worked in a bike shop we special ordered an "industrial" bike for a customer. They are built to carry loads and might be a good solution for you. However, I'd start working out without equipment other than sturdy shoes. The pool idea sounds great and would get you your workout without injuries which could halt progress. Are you able to talk to a doctor about this?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #60
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
How many times have you "done Atkins"?

If the answer is more than once, then it's a bullshit plan. A proper diet/plan/regime is needed only once. Anything that you need to repeat is a "yoyo diet" and at best is pointless.
I've "done" it only once before. I didn't follow the plan the way I should have. It was my fault that it didn't lead to ultimate success as I quit caring about my food intake--a purely emotional decision.

BTW, do you consider every time you tried to eat more healthfully and blew it a "yoyo diet"-?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 05-17-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote