The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
JBKlyde
Banned

THINK. AW Woodburne M. B 1947 Is life worth living??

Answer: It depends on the Liver. A banquet was once given honoring John Burroughs, the Naturalist. After eulogies by celebrities he humbly responded, "I am eighty years old today. I have enjoyed life and wish I could start all over again." But on that same day a young woman threw herself from a high window in a Chicago hotel. Life for her was worthless and unbearable. For John Burroughs it was a treasure. What made the difference? Why do some people find life buoyant and beautiful while to others it is burdensome and boring?

If we stand on a street corner and study facial expressions what do they say? Some serene happy countenances seem to say "My life is surely worth living," But they are outnumbered by saddened and often hardened faces that plainly say, "I don't get any joy out of life"

Happy folks are actuated by interests and ambitions that are satisfying and which are absent in dour folk. Cultivated talents and latent resources in one; wasted time and unused faculties the other. Bankruptcy may blight life briefly, but resilient resourcefulness should relieve and restore life's zest. The same is true of bereavement.

The spice of life is in purposeful effort- expanding potential powers- achievement. To the student it means graduation; to the employee promotion; to the farmer, abundant harvest; to the business man money; to the mother, motherhood; to the statesman election; to a physician, saving and to all serious souls distributing delight. Life is worth while to everyone who is in tune with the Infinite Source of Life. Heaven Harmony flows into and through the life that is mental, physical and spiritual adjustment.

"Blessed (happy) is the man whose 'delight' is in the law of the Lord"- 'the ungodly are not so'

Whether my life is worth living depends on me. And regardless of
the past it is never too late to begin making life worth living by making it a worth while life. What do you think??

Last edited by JBKlyde; 07-30-2011 at 06:07 PM.
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post

The spice of life is in purposeful effort- expanding potential powers- achievement. To the student it means graduation; to the employee promotion; to the farmer, abundant harvest; to the business man money; to the mother, motherhood; to the statesman election; to a physician, saving and to all serious souls distributing delight. Life is worth while to everyone who is in tune with the Infinite Source of Life. Heaven Harmony flows into and through the life that is mental, physical and spiritual adjustment.
I would counter that it is the doing not the achieving. Most of your time is spent on your project not being praised for it after. Enjoy the task.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I would counter that it is the doing not the achieving. Most of your time is spent on your project not being praised for it after. Enjoy the task.
Amen.

I had a little internal grump when the other TAs (full time) and the teacher were getting gifts and cards at the end of the term and I wasn't. But I remembered I am part-time, and although I work with all of the children, it is likely their parents don't know my name. And the child I am paid to look after gave me a handwritten card with a photo on, and a present.

And positive thinking meant anything I received was especially treasured - as it should be. The important thing is that card/ present or not, I really did make a difference. I totally enjoyed the task.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
JBKlyde
Banned

You know what I'd like to do... Start a "pay off the national debt fund".
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
Answer: It depends on the Liver.

especially for alkies.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

THINK. A.A. Milne. Is life worth pooh-poohing?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
THINK. A.A. Milne. Is life worth pooh-poohing?
Oh no you dit nt
Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I luvz your usertitle, Spexx.

And yes, yes I did!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
glatt

To me, a Coastie is a member of the Coast Guard, especially a cadet at the Academy. We used the term somewhat derisively as they were on the campus across the street from our small hippie college. Sometimes you would see a couple at one of our parties, and they were outsiders.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Short-haired establishment bastards!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Is a Phillie a coastie?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote