The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Wedding plans, and other goodies (by request)

I thought I had a thread in this forum from somewhere a while back, but apparently it's either not here, or I just can't find it anywhere. So, here's a new one.

The Date: February 23, 2007 - 7pm. Invites have already been sent out, and folks are already RSVPing. (YAY!)

The Place: Alfred's Victorian - Middletown, PA. We're having the wedding and the reception at the site - it's a gorgeous place - and where everything is happening will be private and away from the crowds - except for the moving about - so it will 'feel bigger', but we won't have to buy everyone dinner

The Dress: I am not a frufru white dress bride. We travel a lot - and I wanted to have something that I could wear again - so I opted for a very pretty dress from a web order company here in NC. Arrived a few days after I ordered it, and it is AMAZING - much prettier than the photo, and I actually look GOOD in it. That was what we were hoping for, because we'll be taking it on our cruises with us for formal nights. My hair - well, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing there - probably 'up' with a pretty comb that I found. Whatever it is, I have to be able to 're-do' it. Because it will be cold - I got a vanilla colored pashmina to wear with it instead of a coat.
The suit - well, it's a Calvin Klein, dark charcoal with a shirt that matches my dress, and a (go figure) Mickey Mouse tie we found at Disney

The Invites: Yep, I made them myself. I'm a demonstrator for a stamping company called Stampin' Up. The background is a big stamp, that was stamped with the purple ink, and then embossed with a heat emboss powder and heat gun. The paper is cut slightly smaller than the card size itself, and the ribbons are mounted on the back, then hand tied (organza ribbons, both from my company). The silver and white tags were also Stampin Up products, that were stamped with a stamp image (from the same company) and heat embossed with the silver embossing powder. The inserts were printed here at home, hand torn, and mounted inside - along with all of the necessary goodies to go with. We packaged them up in clear envelopes and addressed them with ivory labels to match. It took me about 4 days to make and address everything.

The Flowers: This is one thing I've not tackled yet. Since it's not a huge wedding, we're not doing huge flowers. My favorites are daisies and roses - so I'll be carrying some of those, along with some very pretty hydrangeas that I found. We'll be doing silk bouquets ourselves because flowers in February tend to require a kidney for payment - and we're kind of attached to our organs.

The Favors: When I have these done, I'll take a picture of them - but they're pretty simple. A tealight candle in tulle, with a purple ribbon, and silver rings for a little sparkle. I'm going to etch glass votive cups with a heart and our initial.

So, that's the plan to date - if you want specifics about the stampy stuff, please ask (It's something I LOVE to do!)

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It all sounds wonderful!
You obviously have great taste and attention to detail.

The only thing I'd ask is whether Gerberas are reasonable in the US? I married at the beginning of March and chose them as a style statement for the button holes - look like daisies but all colours of rainbow and cheaper than roses.

Just a suggestion - I doubt you need style tips!

What cake you going for?

PS - I've just checked out the menus
I am coming to crash the wedding, I hope you realise that
Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Dagney

Gerberas are flowers that we're considering if we want to go the 'fresh' route - I still have 50 odd days to decide.

The cake will be a marble cake - with a chocolate almond creme filling - an ivory fondant icing with gum paste hydrangeas and daisies in pinks, lavenders, and ivories. She'll be using silver dragees (I think that's how they're spelled) to pick up the white gold of our rings.

Oh....the rings - we got those at Goldworks and they're very unusual - one of a kind. Mine is a green sapphire with blue diamonds - the wedding band itself is a white gold vine. His is white gold leaves and vines. Very 'us'.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

It is all so very beautiful!!

Is that you in the dress (as opposed to from the catalog)? If so, I love your hair as is.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Dagney

Oh god no, I WISH i was that thin

Pictures of me are on my flickr site

Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Very nice. I've worked a hundred weddings where daddy spends tens of thousands of dollars for the big show. Next day, they're still married. Ten years later, probably not.

However, you are sharing something with the one you love, and your loved ones. The place is beautiful. Your dress is elegant, the invites are done by hand with meaning (and well done, too.)

Your wedding WILL be beautiful, and I am sure you will have a long happy life together. Congratulations!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

It is still all beautiful. I love seeing what people do with weddings. We were so poor when we got married. It was all very budget and I did it all myself.

Looking back there are things I would have changed if I could have, but very, very few. (I would have had flowers and I would have had a real reception, not just cookies, punch and cake.)

I love the attention to detail. These are the memories that last a lifetime.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

The dress is beautiful. The invitations are stunning.
( thinking- Or was that visa versa)
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Dagney

We're Married!

After a few weeks of dealing with weather, hotel issues, and last minute changes to the guest list - last night, my sweetie and I made everything official.

The ceremony was wonderful, the reception was perfect - even the cold weather didn't dampen our spirits. (The whipped cream on the Lexus in 18 degree weather is a different story)

After we get back from our cruise, I'll share all the fun details - along with more pictures - but here's our first 'snap shot' (We had just been introduced as Mr. and Mrs.)
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Congrats, Dagney! Best wishes to the both of you!

April and I have the biggest obstacles out of the way--a place for the ceremony, the officiator and the reception hall. Now we have to weed out some of the fuckers that don't deserve to attend the social event of all time as well as work on the little details.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Many congratulations - you look incredibly happy.
Can't wait to see more pics.

BTW last minute changes to the guest list are par for the course. Two days before the wedding one of my bridesmaids casually told me she was bringing her flatmate and her flatmate's boyfriend because she didn't have a lift otherwise. Two people I'd never met enjoying a £50 a head package at my expense, great! But it was okay - I'd had a huge row with one of my oldest friends a week before and he refused to come (he was supposed to be playing guitar during the signing of the register!) so they took him & his wife's place.

My brother lost a whole table and a half (through illness and assorted disaster, not fighting like me) in the last week. I sneaked my best friend in to help make up the numbers