The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
Beest
Adapt and Survive

If you believe that what you have is the best that can be, the top of the curve, then travelling in any direction is going to be downhill.

The ideal system that you desire, is not what is and not what was, so you wish to progress to that state of being.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

What I suggest, to me, isn't progress...it's deregulation.

I make no claim what I suggest is 'better', only that I prefer it.

I have no doubt many of those folks I saw (and heard) in footage from town halls ("without the affordable care act I'd be dead!" "without obamacare my >insert loved one< would be dead!" "without the ACA I [or my >insert loved one<] can't afford life-saving/-enhancing medicine/treatment!") would be truly in the shitter if what I suggest came to pass.

Here's the thing: each and every one of these folks operates out of self-interest, just like me. Explain why I must set aside my priorities in favor of theirs?

Unlike many of the 'hillbillies' in Bruce's piece, I'm not on the dole, am not subsidized, am not beholden (which is to say: I'm not a hypocrite).

I put more in than I take out, I ask for nuthin' except decent roads to drive on and to able to transact with others without jumpin' through hoops. Instead, I have crap roads (which I pay for) and grief tryin' to simply get what I want (my nice little catastrophic insurance, the one declared sub-standard by the ACA).

No, I'm not after 'progress'...I want a retreat from it (the philosophy of it).
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you don't believe, "There, but for the grace of god, go I".
Fuck those Hillwilliams and poor folk who's sweat dug the coal and picked the cotton to make the economy flourish and your life better.
Fair enough, that's your privilege. But I consider it an Ayn Rand selfishness I can't agree with.
My college apartment mate and best friend at the time, worshiped Rand, Atlas Shrugged was his bible, and we had many long arguments about it. The funny thing is it was my money that allowed him to not have to live in the dorm.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
I put more in than I take out, I ask for nuthin' except decent roads to drive on and to able to transact with others without jumpin' through hoops.
What makes you think that less regulation would decrease the number of hoops you have to jump through? Many regulations are big hoops upstream that eliminate many small hoops that people downstream would otherwise have to jump.

And everybody is downstream of more things than they are upstream on, even people who are at the head of their particular stream.

Heck, on food alone, the number of hours saved by the average person not having to research every vendor and their supply chain (even if they had the authority to demand the information needed for that research) offsets a good portion of their tax liability.

It's easy to think how nice it would be if there was no regulation on the things I do; it's harder to take into account having to deal with all the other unregulated assholes.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Agreed, without regulation the multi-nations would be in the snake oil business.