The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
sinanturker
Kinda New Member

An Invitation To The People Of The Book

Dear Sirs,
The problems between the Islamic and Judeo-Christian worlds are one of the hottest issues of today's world. However, the faiths that have built these two civilizations are not in clash with other. Down below is an interesting article by Harun Yahya, a prominent Turkish Muslim author who is widely popular in the Islamic world. He explains that Islam is very tolerant to Christians and Jews and calls for an alliance between Muslims, Christians and Jews.I’d be happy to send you web link related to this article.And also do expect your suggestions.

Best Regards,
Sinan Turker
Antalya-TURKEY

An Invitation to the People of the Book: “Let Us Join Forces” by HARUN YAHYA

There is no doubt that the situation facing the communities of the world, including social degeneration, moral collapse, poverty, hunger, growing evil, families splitting up, people living in a spiritual vacuum, illegal activities, killings, conflict, war, tension are rapidly dragging the communities to the brink of a material and spiritual collapse. On the other hand, atheist-materialist, destructive and harmful philosophies pose a terrible threat to lives in this world and in the hereafter.

Nevertheless, it is actually not that difficult to destroy, in the ideological sense, that wicked alliance, to eliminate the negative and destructive effects of atheist- materialist indoctrination, and to bring about a society where proper morality, happiness, peace, security and well-being prevail. The one way of doing that lies in the three revealed religions (Islam, Judaism and Christianity) joining forces in the light of that common objective.

That unity must rest on the principles of love, respect, tolerance, understanding, harmony and cooperation. We must bear in mind the urgency of the situation, and factors likely to give rise to conflict, argument and division must be scrupulously avoided.

One of the common aims of each of the divine religions, in fact, is for all people to live together in peace, security and happiness, and a conflict that works against that aim is a mistake in the eyes of all three religions.

When we look at the Old and New Testaments, the foundations of Judaism and Christianity, and at the Qur?an, the foundation of Islam, we see that pleasant words and behaviour are recommended in mutual relations. In our time, the atmosphere of mutual tolerance between the Christian and Islamic worlds, that has come to embrace both sides, has now reached the very highest levels.

This is how the Bible describes the kind of behaviour that believers should adopt towards other people:

Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken. Hate the evil, and love the good... (Amos 5, 14-15)

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6, 8)

...Ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. (1 Thessalonians 5, 15)

To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. (The Epistle of Paul to Titus 3, 2)

Another factor bringing Christianity and Islam together is the love the members of both religions feel for the Prophet Isa, or Jesus Christ. Muslims believe in all the prophets, making no distinction between them. In the same way that they believe in the prophet Muhammed, Muslims also believe in Jesus Christ, and feel great love and respect for him. In the Qur?an, he is described as "The Messenger of Allah and His Word" (Surat an-Nisa?: 171) and as being ?A Sign" (Surat al-Anbiya?: 91) Important information about his mission, miracles and life is also given. In one part of the Qur?an Jesus Christ is praised in these terms:

When the angels said, "Mary, your Lord gives you good news of a Word from Him. His name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, of high esteem in this world and the hereafter, and one of those brought near. (Surah Al ?Imran: 45)

About Judaism and Islam, it is the fact that the Jews suffered great cruelty in Europe during the Middle Ages and sought the protection of the Muslim Ottoman Empire, and always lived in security under Ottoman rule. That situation forms the natural basis of the unity that will be established between Muslims and Jews.

In the same way that they believe in the Qur?an, Muslims also believe in the divine books that were revealed before it, and definitely believe in the Bible. They sincerely believe that the Old and New Testaments were revealed as guides, with the properties of separating good from evil and the lawful from the unlawful. In fact, the aims of the Bible given to Jesus Christ, are revealed in the Qur?an in these words:

And We sent Jesus son of Mary following in their footsteps, confirming the Torah that came before him. We gave him the Gospel containing guidance and light, confirming the Torah that came before it, and as guidance and admonition for those who have fear of God. (Surat al- Ma?ida: 46)

One of the verses in the Qur?an regarding the Old Testament, the holy book of the Jews, reads:

We sent down the Torah containing guidance and light, and the Prophets who had submitted themselves gave judgement by it for the Jews - as did their scholars and their rabbis - by what they had been allowed to preserve of Allah's Book to which they were witnesses? (Surat al-Ma?ida: 44)

At this point, the following question comes to mind, one which has been debated and considered for hundreds of years: What does one need to do in order to be one of the saved and earn the mercy and good pleasure of God? The answer to that question is given in the Qur?an, in a manner that allows no debate or doubt:

Those with faith, those who are Jews, and the Christians and Sabaeans, all who have iman in Allah and the Last Day and act rightly, will have their reward with their Lord. They will feel no fear and will know no sorrow. (Surat al-Baqara: 62)

The great majority of those who believe in God today and serve only Him are members of the Judaic, Christian and Islamic religions. That does not represent a violation of God?s wishes.

As is made clear in the verses, Jews, Christians and Muslims are called upon to compete in such areas as living in the way revealed by God, calling on people to exhibit proper morality and to do good, and avoiding evil.

Islam poses no obstacle to dialogue with The People of the Book and cooperation and joint action with them. On the contrary, it encourages them. There is a strong parallel in this situation to both the understanding of tolerance and respect revealed in the Old and New Testaments, as we have seen above, and to the present attitude of the Christian and Judaic worlds.
sinanturker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I deleted the last six spammers but I'll leave this one.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I generally don't sweat spammers too much, but for some reason, they really irritate the shit out of me here. I guess it's because of the nature of the Cellar and the fact that I make a significant time investment in this place.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I received a couple of these sorts of things in my private email a few weeks ago. Someone, somewhere is making a concerted electronic effort to promote Islam. While I'm generally down on anyone pushing their version of theology on anyone else without being asked, I sort of understand the self-preservation motive behind this effort. There's an awful lot of people pissed at Islam right now, and the people who adhere to it are having a tough go in the non-Islam world.

I think, however, a simple "hey, I didn't blow up the WTC" would be enough for me. I don't need the proselytization, and I believe everyone should be able to believe what they want to believe...just don't try and convince me that you are right and I am wrong.