The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 24th, 2016: First Turkey

Not really a turkey, the turkey's oldest known ancestor.
Quote:
Fossils of ancient bird, Eoconfuciusornis, revealed microscopic evidence of pigment
within its feathers, which were preserved for 130 million years.

Quote:
Scientists studied Eoconfuciusornis beta-keratin buried deep within the animal’s fossilized
feathers. They probed the keratin structures to find small, dark grains called melanosomes.
These are the little specks within animal cells that give skin and other tissues its color.
Although melanosomes had been discovered in fossilized creatures before, it was previously
too difficult to tell if the dark granules belonged to the animal itself or ancient microorganisms
preserved alongside it.
This technique brings the promise of discovering more colors.

Quote:
The melanosomes examined with the new technique lent support to the idea that the early
Confucius bird’s body was brownish or dark in color. What’s more, the study hinted at future
discoveries embedded within additional ancient skins and feathers. As Pan said to the South
China Morning Post, “We can use the same technology to study other animals, such as dinosaurs.”
Link
Old 11-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
Snakeadelic
Banned

Similar study on a fossil of a juvenile proto-bird has found structural detailing that indicates some of them were shiny, too! Iridescence in birds is not caused by pigments alone; it needs certain feather structures and now we have good enough tools, processes, and fossils to find it.

I'm pretty excited about the triple fossil too! A snake, with a lizard still in its belly, and a bug (beetle I think) in the lizard's gut. And the fossil chunk of hadrosaur skull with actual fossilized circulatory system bits AND brain tissue! And of course the snake from a few years back that was apparently killed by a landslide while raiding a dino nest for hatchlings.

If I actually kept up to date on fossils, I'd probably be even more annoying.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

First Turkey? I thought that was going to be a post in the forthcoming Trump administration.

Perhaps the bird given a Presidential pardon at Thanksgiving might apply for the job.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
First Turkey? I thought that was going to be a post in the forthcoming Trump administration.

Perhaps the bird given a Presidential pardon at Thanksgiving might apply for the job.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Somewhat related: how a butterfly gets the color on its wing. In theory, you could build a similar structure from 2x4s and at a distance it would have the same color.
skip to about 5 minutes for a description of the structure itself.